Non-College-Bound U-17s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by numerista, Jul 18, 2006.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Squad members only ...

1991 (1) Nelson Vargas (AC Milan)

1993 (1) John O'Brien (Ajax)

1995 (2) Grover Gibson (Stuttgart), Tim Howard (North Jersey in USL)

1997 (1) Gus Kartes (Olympiakos)

1999 (first Bradenton class) (7) Landon Donovan (Bayer Leverkusen), Raul Palomares (Kaiserslautern), Bryan Jackson (right?); Damarcus Beasley (LA), Kyle Beckerman (Miami), Bobby Convey (DC), Seth Trembly (Colorado)

2001 (7) David Johnson (Willem II?); Craig Capano (Chicago), Eddie Johnson (Dallas), Mike Magee (NY), Justin Mapp (DC), Santino Quaranta (DC), Jordan Stone (Dallas)

2003 (6) Jon Spector (ManU), Quentin Westberg (Troyes); Freddy Adu (DC), Eddie Gaven (NY), Memo Gonzalez (LA), Danny Szetela (Columbus)

2005 (7) Neven Subotic (Mainz), Preston Zimmerman (Hamburg); Josie Altidore (NY), David Arvizu (NY), Nik Besagno (Salt Lake), Quavas Kirk (LA), Blake Wagner (Dallas)

I think it's remarkable how Bradenton made a sharp immediate difference with no pronounced change since. That said, I believe Michael Bradley (an '87 who debuted in MLS last year) was the first Bradenton invitee who didn't make the roster but turned pro directly ... if the residency program had been doing a better job with its odd-year players, he would likely have more company.

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I don't think Francisco Gomez (team captain despite being born Nov 79) went to college, although all the bios I've seen just have a gap between 95 and his joining the California Jaguars in 98.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    NO college for Gomez.

Signed with San Jose State but either couldn't get accepted or just opted not to go.

4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Did Johann Smith go to college?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No. He also wasn't on the U17 team.

6. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Good catch ... he was due to be a freshman at SJSU in fall '97, so there's not too big a gap. Also, just to mention, he was born in Jan. '79.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Whatever happened to those guys?

8. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Nelson Vargas was drafted in the 12th round of the inaugural MLS draft by Tampa Bay. He had some good games for them. Has even acted a little, and had a part in "The Game of Their Lives" :

Nelson Vargas entry at IMDB

9. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Gus played a bit for Tampa as well.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I was at a restaurant in Greek Town in Chicago back in the spring and sitting alone at a table near mine was this young, fit looking dude who looked vaguely familiar.

I kept staring at him trying to figure out who it was and midway thru my Spanikopita I realize it's Gus Kartes. I go and chat with him and he is playing for the MISL's Chicago Storm.

He seemed kinda lonely, not to mention stunned to be recognized, but was otherwise polite and gracious. He's a long way from when he signed with Olympiakos, but at the same time, he's making a living playing soccer, and there is no shame in that.

One of his teammates on the Storm is fellow YNT washout Nino da Silva, who also appeared in Game of Their Lives with.... Nelson Vargas. (How's that for a segue?)

Vargas actually got a couple of caps under Bora, believe it or not, right after the U17 WC. He played in the same friendly against Jamiaca in which Mike Slivinski became the youngest player ever capped by the US senior team (till Freddy got capped earlier this year). If not for Slivinski, that honor would have gone to Vargas, who was about 3 months older than Slivinski.

Vargas had a couple of decent seasons with Tampa Bay in the early years of MLS but just seemed to fall off the face of the earth after like 98.

Just serves as a warning that sometimes the promise these guys show as kids doesn't mean they're gonna be world class players as adults.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I recall from long ago reading the various High School All-American football lists ... IIRC, in 1975, the top three running backs coming out of high school were Tony Dorsett, Ricky Bell and Jerry Eckwood.

12. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Ricky played for Tampa!

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's some funny symetry. Bell was a great player, R.I.P.

BTW, Dorsett won the Heisman as a Sr. in 76 so he must have been a HS AA in 72. (For the class of 73)

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remeber correctly, wasn't Nino also high school teammates with Jarrett Payton?

15. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999