Non-City STL soccer catch-all thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by SiberianThunderT, Jul 29, 2022.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IDK if this will get much traction, but I just thought it would be nice to start a new thread for City fans to discuss all other soccer stuff around town - lower-division teams, international friendlies, youth & area colleges, general culture, etc.

What I wanted to share specifically this morning was a fun article from the Athletic about the Craig League. Soccer in STL was thriving in the 50s, both with the club teams that would win the USOC and with the legendary MNT that beat England - and at the same time, the Craig League came into being as one of the first women's leagues in the country:
    https://theathletic.com/3457534/2022/07/28/womens-soccer-craig-league-st-louis/

Just thought that would be fun to share! And hopefully this can be a nice thread for discussing the current form of the Lions, Ambush, Maritsa, SLSG, Fire&Ice, SLU, WashU, etc.

fortcollins and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. pericles

pericles Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    fortcollins and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I forgot to follow up on this! Being based in DC myself, actually coming to CITYPARK is unlikely... How was the USWNT game experience versus the City game experience? Were there any murmurs among fans in the crowd about appealing to the club for an NWSL team?

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    City execs speak on NWSL expansion

Anyone here have a subscription to the STL Biz Journal and can report on what the original article actually says? I'm guessing this is more of a stock answer to a question that was posed to them generically (as general journalistic curiosity) rather than a sign they're aiming to submit for NWSL's 16th team, but I'd love to be wrong. I know they gave NWSL lip service when they were awarded the MLS team, but (at the time) said they wanted to get a year or two under their belt before actively considering NWSL.

6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see that happen. I haven't heard any buzz lately St. Louis also gets quite a bit of mention for a possible expansion central division AUDL team, and that would be a perfect fit for CITYPARK, as well.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh! Speaking of other leagues, I heard the other day that the XFL and USFL would merge. How's Battlehawk nation responding to the news?

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. I hadn't heard that.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah yeah, saw it on my FB feed - Axios broke the news, sounds like merger talks are pretty advanced. IIRC the Battlehawks had the best attendance nationwide of all non-NFL gridiron teams, right? I'm assuming they're a lock for the new league if so.

10. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
  11. pericles

pericles Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    msilverstein47 and fortcollins repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pericles repped this.