Non-Champions (i.e. Other Teams') News Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Minnman, Feb 3, 2021.

1. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, based on some of the TikTok videos my kids classmates post, I'm starting to thing John Lithgow and Bomont may have been the good guys in that movie

Bill Archer and Russ Freistat repped this.
  2. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    If there were not nut jobs who think it should still be illegal, he wouldn't have gotten the reaction.

3. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Charlotte has released all their ticket prices and they are interesting. All STM require a PSL not just the club seating and Supporters have a $50 Supporters fee tacked on to their bill.

4. AlfredECrewman

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    The Battery still need to expand the College of Charleston stadium a bit. I think they’re about 800 seats or so short of league minimum currently after the expansion they did last year. Not that Covid allowed them to use them. Parking might be a little difficult as they anticipate being close to allowing full capacity for games but that could always change. My ears are telling me that this will be their home for the foreseeable future. Convenient drive to way more people than the suburban Blackbaud stadium.

Tobias C repped this.
  5. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The college stadium is bush league frankly. Not enough space and Blackbaud had pub good tailgate scene. If they don't come up with something more permanent and far better, I fear they will die a slow death. Have always had affinity for that franchise - because of stadium and because they wear proper colors. Their fan are always great too. Charleston is perfect size city for USL C team. But like everywhere eese, they need deep pocketed ownership to make it happen.

TKyle, Tobias C and Minnman repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's actually not as bad as I thought. It's pretty close to what New CCS is offering. Pricey, for sure, but not outrageous. The PSL thing is still a bad idea, I think.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #157 Bill Archer, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    That was the thing about Blackbaud Stadium: despite what some people alwys wanted to imply, there had never been any idea that it might be expanded into an MLS venue. The Daniel Island zoning and community is tightly managed and they never would have approved, Charleston SC is way smaller than anything MLS would consider, and in any case the place was sited on the far end of a company parking lot. It was essentially land locked.

The whole idea, the whole point, was how cool you could make a little jewelbox 5000 seat soccer stadium. As such, it was a perfect little place. Not some borrowed small college football field but a purpose-built professional soccer stadium complete with a very very cool little pub (The Three Lions) filled with great memorabilia (including a display of early Crew stuff - I wonder what happened to all that) plus pool tables and that sort of thing plus a childrens play area, pitchside table area, etc. A wonderful place.

The owner was a Brit, Tony Bakker, who wanted to replicate the experience he had growing up back home.

It made minor league soccer cool. Put up a couple dozen like it around the country and you could easily sell USL Championship.(Which, incidentally, is probably what has to happen and, with alll the loose money going into minor league soccer these days, actually could. USL needs a Lamar Hunt or two.)

Side note: I was at Blackbaud with my boys the night that Eric Wynalda got his knee shredded. It was the last game he ever played in. Earlier that day one of my sons and I annoyed hell out of the Fort Sumter tour guide by repeatedly chanting "Hang Jeff Davis!" and "Death to Traitors!" on the boat ride out.

TKyle repped this.
  8. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it, there are quite a few locales with pretty nice minor league facilities that MLB just told to go pound salt. It might not be a bad idea for USL to reach out to some of these communities about whether these facilities might, with some reasonable modifications, be made suitable for hosting soccer teams.

Kryptonite and Bill Archer repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crew2112 repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ecosphere?

Minnman repped this.
  12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nope it’s dancing leads to sex

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like an odd thing to do if MLS is about to launch a U-23 league of its own. Unless you take the "the region is underserved" argument at face value. I hope it doesn't mean that MLS is delaying its U-23 plans.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *wooosh*

It's an old joke.... about majoring in minors.

Like "gambling might lead to playing cards"

15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Im old so it must be a really old old joke lol

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it's possible that they are gearing up for the MLS U23 league launch. Maybe they have some players they want to park. Maybe they don't feel like waiting instead of sitting on their hands. The reasons for running a USL team don't and won't change when MLS finally pulls the trigger.

And frankly, it won't cost much. A USL championship franchise is somewhere around 12 million now, and Leavue 1 is, if I recall correctly, 2 million.

This is USL league 2, and I don't know what the fee is but it can't be that much. So maybe they plan o joining the MLS thing when it happens, but in the meantime they have the project up and running for a pretty low price.

Makes sense to me.

17. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kings Hammer has been a staple club in the Cincy area for year and years

Dan Milton repped this.
  18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #168 TKyle, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Why yes.
    Yes it is.

Here ya go.

Bill Archer and DGA57v2 repped this.
  19. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I believe my dancing leads to the opposite...

west ham sandwich and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB repped this.
  21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Anyone know if it's the same leg as before? This time it was the left leg.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's the other leg. Or so I've read other fans claim.

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think FCKY is behind this Kings Hammer team. I think they are doing it on their own. They are a pretty sizeable youth club. I'm starting to see a number of clubs similar to them invest in adult teams. Beginning to think it is their way to try to capture talent. A way to counter the MLS DA teams. I like the idea. Ideally I'd like to see transfer fees start funneling to these clubs that do most of the actual development of young players (before MLS academies swoop in and lure them in).