Non-Champions (i.e. Other Teams') News Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Minnman, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and DC won tonight, meaning they now have 1.36 ppg compared to 1.29 earlier tonight.

Again, I think 6 of 7 spots are already gone. Only team I could see falling out is Montreal because they are inconsistent, but being back home in Canada now will give them a huge boost.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Philly, you revolting !%^#%!^s.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think it's too early to be throwing out numbers. There's basically a third of the season left, and we're one game (three points) back. And we're within five points of fifth place. I'm also not anywhere NEAR as sold as you are on the idea of DC being good. They were on a three match losing streak before tonight, so they're far from untouchable.

The bottom line is, if we start to get healthy, and we start playing the way we actually know how to play, we're going to get in. The margin is small. If we don't improve, we're toast, because it doesn't matter how small the margin is when you can't win games.

YITBOS repped this.
  4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were on a six game losing streak lol. You wouldn’t say a team on a six game losing streak would easily surge into the playoffs the final third of the season if it wasn’t the Crew.

If we start to get healthy?

Molino is out for the season.

Artur is out for the season.

Kitchen is out for the season.

Morris is out for the season.

Valenzuela… who knows?

Williams… who knows?

Zardes is two to four weeks. We’ll see about that, they claimed similar things about Artur and Kitchen too, both had season ending surgeries afterwards.

That is theoretically four starters out for maybe the rest of the season, or a good chunk of it.

The team that barely beat back-to-back wooden spoon champs Cincy, thanks to a free kick, a spilled saved that was tapped in, and another spilled saved that was cleared off our player and deflected into the net, is hardly guaranteed to surge into the playoffs anytime soon.

Edit: as far as the numbers go, they are unbiased facts. Why is it too early for facts???

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have no business referring the playoffs at this point. It's a bit like 2019. We were terrible. Others may see things differently, but few things excite less less about MLS than the annual effort among the league's flawed, lower-to-mid-tier teams to bag that coveted final playoff spot. I mean, sure, some clubs stumble early, get hot late, and can enter the playoffs with some momentum, even as the 7th seed. But mostly these teams aren't terribly exciting to watch and don't stand a snowball's chance at winning MLS Cup.

Just to be clear, that's the position we currently aspire to. Be still my heart.

Personally, I'm not going to waste any time thinking about the playoffs, and will just try to enjoy wins (hell, even draws) here and there as they come. If we can somehow end the season on a high note, get Zardes, Williams and Milton back, score some goals, earn a few clean sheets. Maybe see Paredes get some playing time. If our new right back comes in and starts looking like the real deal. That's about all I could possibly expect from this miserable season. And it probably would be good enough, considering how shitty things have been thus far.

I'm oddly excited to see how this team structures its off season with that new seasonable bubble in HCS. If having a training facility that functions year round might help us enter 2022 more physically prepared than we were this year.

zman31, ZipSix, Tobias C and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HEY!

We'll have none of your facts around here. The nerve of some people.

Myself, I'm already more or less looking towards next year. Not entirely because I'm giving up on 2021 - although that's probably the sane thing to do - but rather because right now that's exactly what Bez is doing. It's his job.

And it seems obvious that there are a lot of guys who we won't see back in 2022.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least quite a few of those have rings....:D

Bill Archer repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know what you think you’re arguing with here. I never said we’d “easily surge into the playoffs.” I said it was fully dependent on getting healthier AND playing much better than we have been. If those things don’t happen, the numbers don’t matter anyway, and this whole discussion is moot.

Williams and Valenzuela are supposed to be (unless something has changed) able to return this season. Zardes is going to be back soon, until proven otherwise. Even with other starters (or possible starters) out, getting half our starting back line back along with our DP, national team striker makes us better.

State your facts all you want. The margin is three points. Three. There are 36 points available to us. That’s why it’s too early to freak out over them. We’re not nine points back, needing to leapfrog three teams, and the team we’re in immediate competition with isn’t exactly a Shield contender.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For your dining and viewing pleasure.this evening:

Dallas + 250
    Austin -110

Seattle -180
    Portland +430

10. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injury list is getting pretty ridiculous. We had exactly 4 healthy field players (Parente, Abdul-Salaam, Hurtado, and Lillard) who did not play Saturday night.

11. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    Looking at the score in retrospect, hard to believe Austin was the favorite - even if they were at home

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, lines are there to balance out the betting, so that the bookies don't take a bath.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair… before that match, Austin was only three points behind Dallas with a match in hand. Not outrageous to pick the home side.

14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be fascinated to know if there are people out there who are making money betting on MLS. Honestly can’t think of a more difficult area.

15. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    other than my futures bet on the Crew to win the cup in 2020 - i've taken a bath every time i've tried. (very small sample size)

Tobias C repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda like a lifetime achievement award, though...

Akin to the guy that bet on Leicester to win the EPL.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say the sports books favorite week of the year is the first full week of the NCAA basketball tournament.

Thousands and thousands of guys lay down money on the school they attended, mostly with zero chance of winning even one game let alone two or the whole thing. The books clean up from sentiment.

Still, every now and then, that sentiment pays off. Which of.coirse the books also love seeing since it mostly serves to encourage people.to try the same.thing next year.

As for Dallas/Austin, no.they aren't that far apart but home field hasn't done much for the Greenies so far and that was a pretty attractive wager at +450.

18. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    Eh there was some discussion here about the line at the time and I jumped on it.

We were 40/1. Leicester was 5000/1

19. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    1433055661747810304 is not a valid tweet id

Rhinos seem to be making another go of it - except I guess they're no longer the Rhinos.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Global brand?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I mean. as sorry as the last iteration of the Cosmos was, they might be able to make that claim. But Rochester??

What it likely was is that someone else owns the trademarks....

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as someone who actually attended Rochester Rhinos games and grew up within hearing distance if the stadium where they played - old Aquinas Stadium; all the stars played there, from Pele and Chinaglia on down - I can attest to the fact that the original version had a very passionate 10,000 or so loyal fans but not noticeably anyone outside of Monroe County.

The many reincarnations, including the one which won the US Open Cup in 1999 - the last non-MLS team to do so - still didn't exactly generate a bunch of enthusiasm beyond Western New York.

As an.old fan from way back I'm beyond fine with them.coming up.with a new name. Unfortunately I am beyond certain that whatever they come up with will.be terrible and we'll long for the Rhinos..

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RNY FC? As if Rochester FC wasn't boring enough to align with the FC/SC-ification of American soccer names, they had to append "NY" so that, what, people wouldn't confuse it with Rochester, Iowa?

Whatever, the marketing gimmickry will never go away, will it?

And the narrator sounds like he's about 12 years old.

CybrSlydr and Futsal Fred repped this.
  23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I hope they didn't pay much for the logo design.

This is seriously shitty

Attached Files:

24. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    That looks like two Seattle Seahawks logos accidentally started getting in the frame when the person was taking a picture of the new Rochester logo.

That's a whole lot of busy pieces for no real logo impact. And the N and Y seem to float in the logo. Only thing missing was a random triangle in a corner somewhere.

Bill Archer repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States