Non-Champions (i.e. Other Teams') News Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Minnman, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Minnman, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2021
    Why yes.
    Yes it is.

Here ya go.
    Threads from Feb 1 forward were moved from 2020 to 2021 thread.
    (Thus, the MOD EDIT of Minnman's post to put this note at the start of the thread). --TKyle

FCC has announced their "beer and concessions partners" at their new stadium:

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/2...eer-and-concessions-partners-west-end-stadium

Not setting the bar very high, IMHO.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    catfish9 repped this.
  3. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    AFAIK, I think they do, and so does the Craft Brewery Association, or whatever it's called.

They're in a murky area, that's for sure, but more and more of the bigger brewers that started as craft have had a similar trajectory in opening up satellite breweries in other regions. I think it's all by number of barrels per year or something.

I also think (though I could be wrong) that Sam Adams remains independent of the humongous conglomerates whereas many of their much, much smaller cousins have come under the protection of AB-InBev and SABMillerCoors (or whatever they're calling themselves after their eleventy mergers) recently.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe "Megaswill" is the correct term....;):D

Pauncho and Kryptonite repped this.
  6. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still qualify, and Sam Adams has a huge presence in Cincinnati. My cousin is a brewer for them at their Cincinnati brewery (the old Hudepohl brewery). Paired with Rhinegeist, it's to be expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the Crew had Land Grant, Sam Adams, Bud, and Heineken as their beer partners. If you're going to have certain beers available throughout the stadium, as official partners, they have to be able to produce a certain volume. Now, they may have other beers available at specialty stands, but the official beer partners get the prime signage, ads in the programs, in-game sideboard advertising, etc.

zman31, Timon19 and Minnman repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very Cincinnati. About the only things missing are Queen City Sausage (which is quite good) and goetta.

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, most Boston Brewing/Sam Adams products are brewed in Pennsylvania and Ohio, with their more crafty/low volume beers brewed in their Cincinnati-area brewery.

I know nothing about how FCC has embraced - or not - the whole "local" thing, or what kind of flexibility they even had at Nippert. But here it's been part of the brand, to varying degrees. Whether it's local food offerings - or food trucks - or multiple local beer offerings. At Mapfre, breweries included Land Grant, North High, Platform, Great Lakes and Rhinegeist. Not all Columbus beers, obviously. Rhinegeist is Cincy-based, but they do have a small production brewery in Columbus. Platform and GL are from Cleveland, but Platform has a Columbus brewpub location.

I'd hope that the new Crew stadium will at least maintain that level of local-ness, and hopefully will find a way to expand it. But, hey, that's just me.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Didn't the Crew have Platform? I'd expect that would continue - and I would support it.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I mean, in a local sense, of course.

The fact that Skyline exists at all is a black mark against that region of the state in general, and specifically against FC Food Lion.

11. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember being able to buy (not quite legally) a case of Hudepohl Gold long necks for $12 in high school. It didn't matter the taste...it was all about quantity!

12. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Adams is still independent. They bought out Dogfish Head a while ago. They started as a primarily contract brewer until they bought the Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewery in Cincinnati.

Timon19 repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Still not getting why their choices are bad/underwhelming (other than their Cincinnati-ness, obviously).

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Which, as far as craft beer quality (at least historically) is a pretty nice pickup.

MLSinSTL and Ueberjames repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, it's just, like, my opinion, man. I also never said it was "bad." But, if sponsorship equates to what's on offer, Sam Adams and Rhinegeist would be pretty boring to me. As others have noted, however, sponsors may not mean that they're the only food/drink available. Time will tell, and since its Cincinnati, I don't care too much.

This should probably flip over to our stadium thread, but since the Crew talk about how they want the stadium to be a place people go on non-match days, it'll need to offer food/drink options that make the trek worthwhile.

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Just reading ever-so-slightly between the lines. It just doesn't seem worth highlighting for its...ordinariness? Maybe that's the word that works for you?

Rhinegeist is solid, if not great, and might yet redeem that vile city in Kentucky yet. They've got good selection and good quality. Sam gets a bad rap, too, though it seems they only get a bad rap from certain corners which I can't totally identify. Hipsters? I dunno.

It just seemed a very odd thing to pick on in general. Going local, even if it's catering to objectively terrible tastes (looking at you, Skyline, Frisch's) is a pretty solid idea, and has been one of the more redeeming trends in professional hold-up-artistry (i.e. taxpayer-funded stadiums) over the past decade or two.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It popped up in my Twitter feed, and this is kind of a catch-all news thread about other teams. At least that's how I see it.

Too, it will become a topic of discussion when this same info is released about our stadium. For example, I know we've talked about not just offerings but pricing in Atlanta. Knowing what other clubs are doing will provide a useful perspective when we look at what the Crew decide to do.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local is good. And, at least Cincy *has* local, traditional foods. That's less true about Columbus. I mean, Johnny Marzetti?? Local beer, we're good on. Jeni's, sure. Schmidts, ok. But after that, it gets a bit thin (yes, I like Hot Chicken Takeover--but that's a Nashville food style).

19. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Platform was a Crew beer partner. FTR, Platform is owned by AB InBev now. Don't know if that matters to anyone.

Timon19 repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I admit it makes me nervous that they will be "assimilated" but the noises I've heard is that they will retain a large measure of independence while getting stability also.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Resistance is futile"...;);)
    [​IMG]

redi44crew, TKyle and Timon19 repped this.
  22. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time will tell. Based on what they did to the Craft Brewers Alliance, I wouldn't trust AB InBev to keep their word on that.

23. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Brigham Young?

SLSHOT01 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  25. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Jim Koch was born in the Nati which is where the ties come from.