Noel Kenny Suspended

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DigitalTron, Aug 15, 2002.

1. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    This just in from the "too little too late" department:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/modules.p...le=article&sid=47&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Also Richie Williams fined 3 times totalling $1,000 but nobody else fined for the DC/KC game. Oh yeah, after Kenny gave all the calls AGAINST the Wizards the next game (make up calls? ;)) Gansler said it was a "barrage of bad calls." Heh, he didn't seem to mind when they were benefitting him!

Oh yeah, I sent in my scathing emails to the two people suggested in another thread. I guess we DO make a difference. That's very good to see. :D

-Tron

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It should be pointed out that Bob Gansler was just as adamant about the penalty being called to begin with as United was about it being called back. I have a hunch that Kenney was suspended not just for botching Marco's PK but because of the questionable call that awarded the penalty.

3. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Damn right. I am currently enjoying my power trip.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And the horse he rode in on. :mad:

5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    You realize of course that Kenny was not the referee for KC's next game. It's a shame that referee didn't mind cautioning Meola, but Kenny was afraid to.

And I wouldn't take too much credit for having him ousted. According to the link it was his second"failing assessment" that did him in, not angry letters from us.

6. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    We killed Kenny! But we're not bastards. Good riddance to a crap ref. Pop a cerveza my Barra brothers.

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Re: Re: Noel Kenny Suspended

Actually, Meola was sent off. Among the many simple pleasures in life, watching Meola give up four goals and get sent off in the same match is certainly one of them.

8. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. And the Supreme Court always rules on the merits of the cases it hears, with nary a thought about the political effects of the decisions it makes. Keep the emails flowing!!! :D

9. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Re: Re: Noel Kenny Suspended

My dumb luck, I fell asleep in the 85th minute!
    I'm so upset I missed all the fun stuff.

10. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD

You are not me. I take full credit.

11. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I have to agree with ElTico and JAnderson14, they can call it whatever they want, but this guy has been ref'ing atrociously ALL SEASON. It's clearly not only his second failing match, but they realized that his officiating has really really pissed the fans off so they'd better do something about it.

It's of little consolation because he's back in selection for next season, but hopefully he will learn from this slap on the wrist and start trying to call a fair game. If he doesn't, we can flex our email muscle again and he knows it. ;)

After watching his blatant bias towards one team or another repeatedly issuing harsh early cards and inconsistently ref'ing games, I've had enough of this guy. He clearly has an axe to grind against United ... you'd have to be blind not to see that. He does NOT call them as he sees them, nor does he treat all players equally. Nor does he treat both teams equally. He loves to issue cards to players/teams he doesn't like while allowing almost anything to the other team. Players know this and have free-license to make the game a thug-show. It's dispicable and disreputable ... not to mention disingenuous.

-Tron

12. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Damn shame that the result stands.
    Mark

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Yeah it's not like we can appeal it either. You know how it goes when we try to appeal 0-0 draws with KC at RFK.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justice reigns!!! Now we just have to send him back to school. See and my Mom still is not qualified to be a match referee either.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, but I bet your Mom wouldn't have made Marco take that PK over. ;)

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet his Mom would have made the PK, though.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because she knows better. ;)

I don't know about that. She would have tried. ;)

18. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, its a sad commentary on the season that we're taking solice from Kenney's removal. Yes, it's justice of a sorts but I"d have much preferred the 3 points instead of 1.

Second, true, the original call for the PK was dubious. But I think that doesn't get someone suspended--otherwise about 15 refs would no longer be in MLS b/c of the PKs Diego Serna earned with his dives. I think the larger issue is this (and one that MLS can't openly acknowledge).
    --Kenney has a poor reputation (even in a league where to openly complain about refs is to pay up--in a league where most of the players pay $500 and that is 20% of a month's paycheck--that's enough to keep players like Kamler and Talley and Convey and Villegas silent);
    --some elements of the game control were attrocious (Burns on Convey for instance, the elbow/body slam exchange) that are beyond interpretation, they have to do with unconsciousness, being clueless of what is going on in the game;
    --then calling something that just isn't called. Especially when (as Convey pointed out), everyone was encroaching.

I don't think the encroachment call by itself got him the demerit for this match. But my take is that it was the last straw. This isn't like someone blew an offsides call in a key game (regretable but it happens and mistaken calls do decide some key games--just talk to the Italian National Team from this summer). But the encroachment call was the equivalent, well, I can't come up with a comparable example. In all my years of playing, coaching, watching soccer, I've never seen it called in a pro match. I saw it called in a youth (U8 boys) match once b/c players were actually standing (not moving into but standing) in the penalty area during the kick. If you're going to make that call, it had not only be really extreme but it had better be right. If the tapes showed it was not only close but that KC was in the area first, COMBINED with the other stuff going on in the match, that just shows you've got a ref who has no judgment and perception of what is going on.

I disagree with refs all the time but I respect differences in perspective or interpretation. For instance, I think the handball on the line in the US-Germany quarterfinal was a PK. I agree with Beckenbauer on that call--doesn't matter if it was intentional, a handball on the line prevents a goal so you always call a PK regardless of intent. But I can respect Hugh Dallas' interpretation--it wasn't intentional and was in the run of play so no call. But when a ref is utterly blind to a continuing series of violations (the Burns behavior) and then injects a bizarre call out of nowhere that is game changing, probably wrong, and never called, that's the last straw. And that (in cumulation) is why I think Kenny got the exit pass.

Last point--I cut Marco some slack for the feeble second attempt. Etcheverry plays with a lot of emotion. That call on his first attempt (encroachment) is the emotional equivalent of a kick in the nuts. Frankly, I"m a bit surprised he didn't lose it then and there and storm Kenny--or tear off his jersey and walk off the field. You've got to figure he'd be incredibly stunned (as I would be).

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you on all points.

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    JoeW, I agree that Mr. (and I use that term loosely) Kenny was let go for ignoring the blatant "persistant foul conduct" by both teams throughout the match. I'm happy that no one was 'seriously' injured although Convey's separated shoulder is a bit worrisome.

What is more worrisome is that this was not an untypical game in MLS. Unfortunately I believe that the thugs on the pitch are winning. Hacks are able to foul with impunity and don't have to worry about fines or other disciplinary action. How ridiculous is it that Richie gets $1000 fine for dissent et al, while Burns and Garcia got nothing for their persistant bad tackles and off the ball shenanigans. While I am not a big fan of the EPL's system of punishing players based on video evidence for non-called fouls, I think that MLS could learn from that type of action. Fining players for all the off the ball hacking and the really dirty ankle kicking from behind et al...

21. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This (where the thread is going) may belong in another forum (refereeing?) but I've always been a big believer that besides the ejection for some fouls, any professional (ie: deliberate foul) that results in injury, the fouling player must sit out as long as the fouled player is injured. Thus, if a McKinley or Dayak or Garcia or Pierce injures a Moreno or Donovan or Convey for a month while committing a professional foul, then they sit out until the injured player returns. Extreme yes, but something that is needed I think at the professional levels where teams may make calculated decisions to foul/injure players b/c to take out a Ronaldo or Owen can be the difference not only in a match, but winning a league or cup. My 2 cents anyway.

22. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    That's an amazingly radical idea, but I like it a great deal.

23. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may push the whole thread into the Referee Forum, but...

I second BroonAle's reaction to the idea re: fouls resulting in injury. I'd like to see them add something else that has been discussed: a 10 yard penalty for persistant encroachment. If a free kick is awarded and the wall sets up five yards away and takes a minute to move back to eight yards, pick up the ball and advance ten yards toward goal and start over.

It would end a lot of shrugging on the part of defenders :)

Back on topic: Noel Kenny has not been controlling games or protecting players. He deserves to sit down.

dadman

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this throws the whole popularity theory out the window.

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Sounds like something Paul "Defense is the work of Satan" Gardner would write. While the idea is interesting, there's a bit too much gray area for that to truly work. You'd have to prove intent, which is something that only Roy Keane will admit, and then only when paid a hefty book advance.

Do you suggest leaving it up to the judgement of the referee? Or, if the ruling body chooses to investigate, will the player be called upon to account for his actions, or can he take the Fifth?

Dave