Noel Cantwell - R.I.P.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BigFrank, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Noel Cantwell, who served as head coach of the New England Tea Men, has passed away.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=341892&cc=5739

Former United skipper Cantwell dies at 73

Former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland captain Noel Cantwell has died aged 73.

He had been suffering from ill health for several years.

The Cork-born full-back, who guided United to the FA Cup in 1963, was a double international representing his country at both football and cricket.

He cost United £29,500 when he joined from West Ham in November 1960.

Cantwell, signed by legendary United boss Sir Matt Busby in the aftermath of the Munich air disaster, made 144 appearances for United and scored eight goals. He was capped 36 times by his country, scoring 14 goals and narrowly missing out on leading the Republic to the 1966 World Cup finals in England.

He had joined West Ham as an 18-year-old in 1952 and made 248 appearances, scoring 11 goals, for them - helping the Hammers win the Second Division title in 1958.

Cantwell stayed at Old Trafford for seven years, playing alongside the likes of Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best, but played only four games as they won the 1967 League championship in his final season.

After ending his playing career, he moved into management with Coventry - resigning his post as chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association to take over at Highfield Road - and Peterborough before coaching in north America.

He then became a publican and settled in Peterborough.

Last November he told RTE Radio: 'In 1963 we won the Cup and I happened to be captain. It was a great day.

'Leicester were favourites to win it. But we always played in flashes and we always thought that Wembley would suit us.

'I think I had only taken over the captaincy early in that season. The turmoil at the club was reflected in how many times the captain changed. But that was a very special day at Wembley.'

Cantwell was highly regarded at Old Trafford and was at one stage tipped to take over from Busby as manager.

'I remember Matt telling me he wanted me to be coach at Old Trafford. I was very excited. But it never materialised.'

A statement from the Football Association of Ireland expressed ``deep regret and sadness'' at the death of Cantwell.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said: 'Noel Cantwell was one of the great characters not only of football but of Irish sport in general.

'He was a great inspiration to those who played alongside him whether for club or country.

'On behalf of the FAI and the family of football in Ireland I extend sincere sympathy to Noel's family and friends. May he rest in peace.'

Cantwell moved into management at Coventry following the Sky Blues' promotion to the top flight in 1967, and led them into Europe for the first time after finishing sixth in 1970 season.

He succeeded Jimmy Hill at Highfield Road, and the TV pundit told the club's website: 'It's tempting to remember Noel for his special talent as a player and as a manager. There's no doubt that those who worked with him and for him would be happy to do that.

'However, away from football, he was a delightful person; considerate, helpful, likeable and full of fun.

'We will remember his friendship and the service he gave to our football club, as well as the pleasure he gave to those fortunate enough to have known him.'

2. 260599

260599 New Member

Sep 5, 2005
  3. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    [​IMG]

Sad news. I have many fond memories of him and the Tea Men.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rest in peace, Noel.

I remember the Teas as well, and went to their last game ever here, the 1-0 playoff loss to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 1980. Mike Flannagan was their big goal scorer and Ringo Cantilla was the playmaker.

BTW, those crowd numbers of 25 and 17k were not the norm. You can look up the numbers, but I think I recall them averaging about 6-7,000 for the time they were here.

Tom

5. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom's right about the average crowds, but I do recall one match vs the Cosmos that drew almost 30,000 and Keita scored a spectacular long distance rocket.

6. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Cary NC
    Club:
    DC United
    I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida and became a big fan of the Tea Men when they moved there. I fondly remember Noel's passion for the game and good humor with the public. Thanks, Noel, your spirit made me a life-long fan of professional soccer, and your memory will live on with those of us who enjoyed your work.