No WC2010 for G. Rossi

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by CopaMundial, Jun 1, 2010.

1. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Couldn't happen to a nicer douchebag.

3. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes that goal against us in the Confed cup hurt a little less. suck a big one, rossi

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that his father died recently.

Too bad he's not around to see Rossi not play in South Africa.

5. sober_Irishman

sober_Irishman New Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, that's cold. But yeah he could get a shot on 'Jersey Shore'.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not gonna hate on the guy. He made his decision, soccer in this country goes on. It's funny how completely American he is, just read his Twitter. Seems to be friends with Jozy, too.

7. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't hate the guy.

I mean, he moved to Italy when he was, what, 15? No doubt with the encouragement of his family. How would you feel if people didn't like you because of something you did when you were 15?

But I don't exactly feel sorry for him either.

8. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he moved to Italy didn't matter.
    The fact that he played for the Italian national youth squads didn't matter.
    At that point he could have still played for US senior squad.
    What mattered was that he had until he was 21 to decide and he chose Italy.

That being the case I give him no slack for being a kid or being influenced by his father. He was an adult and was fully aware of the choice, so he can kiss my ass. I hope he never sees a World Cup field. Serves him right.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No corresponding thread for Subotic, who played in US Youth teams? Rossi's intention to play for Italy was always clear.

Perhaps the strength of reaction is more to do with his talent.

10. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subotic was born in Serbia, spent several years in Germany before moving to the US, and moved back to Europe a few years later. It was only in the intervening years that he played for US youth teams. It would have been nice if Thomas Rongen wasn't a dick to him, and he had chosen the US, but I can't really hold it against him.

11. paisano22

paisano22 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I cant blame Giuseppe Rossi one bit for choosing Italy over the USA. As and Italian myself, he like I grew up in a time where before the 94 WC and the MLS launched our only glimpse of soccer in the states was watching Serie A and Italian National team matches when he was younger.

His father also was friends with the New York Metrostars GM and used to bring young Giuseppe to the matches where he was in constant contact with Roberto Donadoni who back then to all Italians was a god.

It would be the same thing as if we were kids who grew up in say Miami or Chicago but had Philly parents and grew up watching the Phillies, Flyers, Sixers or Eagles and we had a choice where we could play if we were good enough to make the pros in those 4 sports..We would choose Philly.

Now that the USA and the MLS has grown since that time, the next Giuseppe Rossi might consider the USA instead of whatever country his parents were from.

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pragmatically his decision hurt him as he has missed the chance for international exposure in two world cups.

It's not about whether he chose to play for Italy, it's doing that while constantly proclaiming he's American that pisses me off. Like it or not, nationalism is at the root of the World Cup's popularity.

13. civicmon

civicmon Member

May 1, 2010
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play(ed) together on Villareal. Then again, they never really gave Jozy a shot there before loaning him around Europe.

And he's as American as apple pie, I also follow him on twitter.

I just love the irony with the whole situation: He could have been starting for the USA but now isn't even going to be playing in the 2010 WC. Hope he gets his fistpump on down at Seaside when the games are on.