No WC For Spector

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Apr 21, 2006.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=001780

As feared, Jonathan's shoulder injury kills any chance of him going to the WC this summer. Surgery is expected soon and a time table for his return is uo in the aire. A real shame. I was looking forward to seeing him on the pitch this summer.

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you were on YA.com at the same time I was! :)

This really sucks. I think he would have been a great guy to have on the bench for Germany.

Assuming he was going to make the roster, who does this open the door for? Albright? Pearce? Or will Bruce just stick with Frankie now that a bright young prospect is off the table?

Personally, I'd like to see Albright. His pace and size combination is something we need to have available. Although, without Spector's versatility (and ability to play on the left), this could set up Pearce for a roster spot.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information. I'm disappointed, because I thought he was demonstrating himself as the best of the defenders on the fringe of the WC squad. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery and a long career.

4. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Tough news indeed, he was a quality performer for Charlton this year (and Man U at some times), and sucks for FIFA, because both of their "Best Young Player" reps for US (the other being Freddy "I'm not a kitten killer, but a JoJo lover" Adu) that they listed are not going to the World Cup.

5. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could any lock or fringe player available still have a shot at that? What are the rules? 21 and under? If that's the case, then it looks like Pearce would be our only shot (provided, he makes it). Convey's 23 and EJ is 22.

6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Basically, the eigth defender spot is going to come down to a 4 way battle, IMHO.

Berhalter - The veteran captain of Energie Cottbus has WC experience, and knowledge of the German landscape. I think he's the frontrunner for the last spot.

Albright - More in a battle with Hejduk than anyone else, but Frankie goes for his experience and fiery personality.

Dunivant - Could be a good left-back backup to Lewis and got a bunch of looks from Arena earlier in the year. Still, he's on the outside looking in.

Conrad - Was in a battle for back-up central defender, but Berhalter is better than him. Could jump back in the mix if Bocanegra's injury keeps him out much longer.

And there's always the possibility that Arena only takes 7 defenders anyway, opting to bring an extra midfielder instead.

7. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think Pearce has a chance at all? It seems if a recovering Dunivant does, then Pearce would as well...

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena flat-out stated that Dunivant was ahead of Pearce. Pearce ain't going.

9. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I don't think it really matters who gets brought to sit on the bench. If Beerholder, Conrad, or Albright touch the field we will be in big trouble.

These guys can't hang against a Jamaica B team.

10. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    The battle is between Berhalter and Albright, and it's a tactical decision. Berhalter has the benifit of experiance and besides pope, no one else in the defense has that. Albright provides cover at right back and is better on set peices. He could also play right mid or forword in a pinch much like Tony Sanneh did in 2002.

Personally, I would choose Albright, because with Berhalter we would have 5 CB, 6 if you include Pablo. At right back we have Dolo, Hejduk, and maybe Reyna in a real pinch.

11. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    In 2002, the US used 19 of the 23 players on the roster. The ones that didn't play were Keller, Meola, Cherundolo, & Regis. Keller and Meola obviously didn't make it because they are goal keepers. Cherundolo did play because he got injured right before camp. Regis didn't play because Arena lost faith in him after the deadline passed.

Don't be suprised if almost all of the players are used.

12. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    I'm also disappointed, but I suppose if there was a guy who was going to get injured, I'd rather have it be him than many other guys.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should add Llomsa to your list-- he only played 12 minutes of garbage time against Mexico.

14. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see that.

I guess the "wouldn't take them because they've been recently injured" argument can't really come into play here, when you look at a few of the remaining choices:

Dunivant
    Albright
    Conrad

All have had injuries force them to the sidelines over the last 6 months, although all are now recovered. Then, you throw in the fact that Boca, McBride, Reyna, Gibbs, O'Brien, and EJ have all had their issues over the last year.

That may actually give an edge to Berhalter, who has been relatively injury free, IIRC.

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llamosa played substitute minutes against both Portugal and Mexico, when we were trying to protect leads.

It's worth noting that, because of injuries and yellow card accumulation, had we actually beaten Germany (not unrealistic, given the handball!) we would have had to start Regis in the semifinal. Yes, over the course of a tournament you can realistically end up having to use all of your field players.

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please, God let it be Dunivant. If it was me, it would have only been between Dunivant and Spector anyways. Albright is good on corners, but he sucks defensively, Berhalter=Agoos, and Pearce just isn't ready for the international stage now.

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and here I thought it was going to be because he hadn't shown any reason why he deserved to be there.

18. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    I seriously doubt Dunivant is going. It's not that I think Albright is better, it's just a matter of coverage. Dunivant is primairly a left back. At left back we have Lewis, Gibbs, Boca, Hejduk, and in a pinch could use Convey and O'brian. At right back we have Dolo and Hejduk. Maybe a few of of the midfielders could fill in but I don't think any of them have experiance at RB.

Would you really want to pick a guy that would fill a spot that could be filled by 6 other players or would you pick a guy that could fill a spot that could only be filled by 2 players. Plus, albright has midfield experiance and could provide cover on the right wing.

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i agree, dunivant is not going...

lewis...

big left backs in gibbs and bocanegra...

even hejduk on the left...

albright can fill the big outside back role when he'd be matching up with a physical guy, not a speedy one....

albright has specific roles he'd fill, not a starter though

20. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    As much as I'd have loved for us to get to the semi-finals, I dread thinking about what our middle defensive triangle would have looked like against Germany. Pope, Berhalter, and Mastroeni all would have been suspended. Agoos and Dolo were injured.

Reyna or O'Brien would have played D-Mid and out backline would have probably looked like this:

Hejduk-Regis-Llamosa-Sanneh.

Yikes! Regis in the middle! He didn't even know English.

or if Arena just really didn't want to play Regis, he could have put JOB or Eddie Lewis in as the left back and made it look something like this:

JOB/Lewis-Llamosa-Sanneh-Hejduk

Back on topic as to who's going, I agree Albrights chances just got really good... IMO it really is down to Berhalter vs. Albright at this point.

Berhalter has the experience thing going for him -- and despite some bad performances in the past, Bruce has always stuck by him. However I believe Pope and Hejduk bring the experience to this backline as well so I just have to wonder how much Arena cares about bringing GB. Slow as rocks and tugs shirts more than any US player I've seen (could easily get carded for that in the WC.

Albright is athletic and versatile. Questionable defending, but with only 3 sure wing backs, he's got a decent chance. Albright had a great 2005 campaign for club and country and has long been considered another one of Bruce's boys from his UVa and DCU ties.

Both have plusses and minuses, I think its important to understand that the 8th defender probably will see about as much time as Llamosa did in '02 -- if that.

21. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    I doubt Regis would have been in the middle If he played. Sanneh played CB for his club team and I believe that Regis was an LB. Therefore they propbably would have moved Hejduk to RB and have a back line of Regis-Llamosa-Sanneh-Hejduk.

They might have also desided to go with a 3-5-2 like they did in the mexico game but the US was pretty beat up in all positions at that point.

22. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Regis was a center back before he was a left back. For the US I know he was converted there because of language difficulties.

Sanneh in the middle with Llamosa might have worked too, for some reason I didn't think about that.

23. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Regis played both centerback and outside back for his clubs before joining the USMNT.

He played left centerback in the glorious 3-6-1 for Sampson in 1998. He played as a centerback in a 3-5-2 a few times for Arena until finally settling into the leftback spot during 2000.

He played leftback because of the huge whole at the position.

It's interesting to remember how much Arena played the 3-5-2 in his first couple years with the Nats.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Umm, we played Germany - we would have been up against Korea.
    Really? That's funny. I had two long conversations with him in English (albeit a heavy French accent) at Crew Stadium follwing NT matches there. Not sure where you are getting this "he didn't know English" line...

25. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Go back to the US-Argentina friendly in '99. Bob Ley made a point of mentioning Regis played on the left in-part because of language difficulties.

Perhaps his accent was too thick to understand? I don't know.