No TV = Low gate during playoffs ?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by NYfutbolfan, Sep 30, 2002.

1. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    I'm just wondering how much of an impact on attendance is there from the lack of tv coverage of the playoffs.

I know there is regional coverage and each team has its own local broadcast of the games, but since there is no national braodcast there is also no national news and no national buzzzzzzzzzz.

Since my Metros have time now to comb the beaches of St. Tropez looking for Matthaus again,
    I am P.O.'ed that I can't watch MLS on my cable system. I follow the playoffs through MLSNET, but it really $*********$ that ESPN2 hasn't picked up the best games of the year. Can there really be that much competition for airtime @ 3am? Tape delay has to be a whole lot better than nothing. The news channels don't give you the scores and nobody seems to care except for the guys here on BS.

Just from a marketing point of view, I would think (hope) that it would be worthwhile for MLS to show at least 1 game nationally a week during the playoffs. Doesn't a national buzz help out the local gate?

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, but there was a game on TV less than a week ago. So, I don't think this theory has any merit.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low gate = no tv next season

4. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Uh, no. No TV was scheduled for next year anyway. Just MLS Cup. And that is committed.