No TV for July 4th match?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Cweedchop, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I thought the Metros had all games (not on ESPN2) televised?

Has anyone given a reason as to why this match is not on TV?

Just curious.

2. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    what about the direct kick package, neither?

3. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    this siuation is a true letdown.maybe msg will have it aped for later broadcast.

4. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Actually I think it has to do with Salt Lake City - if you look at their schedule, many of their home games are not shown....so that's the problem. I'm sure that if they had it on TV for themselves, MSG would be able to show the game.

5. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSNET has a streaming telecast, so though we wont be able to watch from our comfy armchairs, we still get to watch the match.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Internet Radio. 1280 KZNS from Salt Lake City will have it live.

Match Tracker and Internet Radio at 9:30PM folks.

7. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    I hate RSL even most of their games arent on a stream

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it won't. MLSNet only shows the games on Direct Kick, which this won't be since neither market is broadcasting it.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Maybe this is a way for them to get people to celebrate the 4th of July at an MLS game?

10. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    I'm looking at the MSG schedule for July 4th and, you know, I could understand it if there was a (/sarcasm on) Liberty game being broadcast (/sarcasm off) but they've got RANGERS CLASSICS showing Monday evening. With all due respect to hockey (which I happen to like a lot) does anyone have any info as to WHY the game isn't being broadcast by MSG? I don't want to be greedy and am glad we do get most of the games but it's not like they've got something better to do (although if I had to bet I'd say RANGERS CLASSICS probably draws a bigger audience).

=NLK=

11. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    The problem has nothing to do with MSG - it's the fact that RSL has no TV arrangement this season. Unless it's from another network of some kind, it's not being shown. Many of their home games are not on TV this year. Don't blame MSG.

12. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Appreciate the response but what has the fact that RSL has no TV arrangement got to do with MSG? Doesn't MSG do its OWN broadcasts? Are you saying MSG wouldn't be ALLOWED to send JP and Shep to Salt Lake and broadcast from the stadium (maybe no cameras)? I'm certain MSG has broadcast many Metros games for which the other side had no TV broadcast.

Note I'm not being contentious, just curious. I learn things every day, just wanted to keep doing so.

Thanks.

=NLK=

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    To send Shep and JP, MSG would have to also send an entire camera crew to RSL. Normally when the home team has video, the visiting team uses their feed but just calls it differently than the home team. It's the fact that RSL has no video of the game is the problem. I'm sure that for MSG, it was not an option.

14. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    OK, that certainly makes sense. The only think that's a bit curious is that MSG has hardly missed an away game in 2-3 years and, given the relative paucity of MLS local broadcasting, I would have thought that there would have been more than a few instances when the other (home) team was not doing a local broadcast. However, as I said, your post certainly does make a lot of sense and, now that I think a bit more about it, it may have been that teams would usually do a broadcast when they played the Metros (or FSC or HDNet, etc. would). They probably felt we were a marquee team (silly them).

Thanks.

=NLK=

15. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    It follows that MSG produces all the Metros home games during the season. What's one more?

Would airfare to Salt Lake for JP, Shep and a few cameramen put MSG out of business? I doubt it. It may not be profitable but don't say it isn't an option for them.

16. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I guess we won't know unless someone talks to MSG about their decision, but trust me, it's not just sending out a camera crew and a few men. There is a LOT that goes into a TV broadcast. I worked in TV for 10 years.

17. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There u go. You've answered your own question. It's a shame that's the way it is, but until MLS becomes a very profitable venture, that's the way it's gonna stay i think.

18. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    I knew it :D

19. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    You knew what?

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not really sure if you know, but this is the kind of thing that ends a discussion.

21. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    Not really sure if you know, but the entire league is still hemorrhaging money, so non-profitability is not always a conversation stopper.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Never been in a business meeting, have you?

23. MetroStars7

MetroStars7 New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    Because it will be on radio.

24. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and the lithograph too... We are in the information age people, some guy with a camera cellphone could probably broadcast it over the internet. Can someone please look into this???

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No local tv I understand, but they expect a big crowd of at least 20K.