no shootout for 09/13 or 10/01 :(

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GutBomb, Sep 11, 2003.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    apparently the only way to see this weekend's match (9/13) is on HDNet. next thursday's will be on ESPN2, 10/1's against chicago will not be shown on the shootout either apparently, according to directv's schedule. what's the deal?

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College Football is too valuable

3. burmm

burmm Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No indemand Colorado games for the rest of the month!

4. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    why aren't the games on? How can they do that if we pay for the package. has anyone tried to contact them for an explanation???

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too lazy to look it up to make sure, but I suspect this weekend's match isn't on because it was never, ever part of the Rapids' or Fire's TV packages and wouldn't, therefore, have been broadcast in any form whatsoever had not HDnet decided to broadcast it.

That's the usual answer for the HD broadcasts. Some Shootout suscribers seem to think they're being screwed out of these games, but they miss the point: they never had access to them in the first place.

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i was just gonna say the same thing. i did look them up and the only television coverage the KC match is getting is HDNet, however the Fire match is going to be carried by fox sports net chicago so i wonder why the shootout package doesn't pick that up...

7. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    please more info what is HDNet then? why can't indemand pick up off of the direct tv satellite? i see on the schedule the game is on direct tv on sat. Also I pulled up the schedule for the month on all games. why aren't colorado games on for the month when other games are. Are you trying to say just out of bad luck we are playing teams that also don't show the games? i just don't get it when i looked at the indemand schedule of games.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean their match at the HDC tomorrow, it will be on the SO package according to my guide (ch. 797 at 7pm PDT, as well as whatever channel FSN Chicago is)

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i meant the Colorado/Chicago match on 10/1 when i am talking about Chicago. at least we get next thursday's Colorado/New England match on ESPN. Living outside of Colorado i miss all the games :( well not all, but this month anyway.

10. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    just wondering again about this problem. If HDNet is showing the game.. where are they getting the feed? Is it from their own cameras coming to the game?

11. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I believe so. In order to broadcast in High Definition, they have to film in high definition. Kinda like widescreen in movies, it takes a whole different type camera.

12. milehimarc

milehimarc New Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Northglenn, CO USA
    fyi

HDNET has thier own broadcast truck, crew, camera people, and broadcasters (glenn davis and 'celo)...it costs about 10 dollars for the package (about 30 games), but you have to have and expensive HD TV or buy a converter for your TV if it is HD "ready". These games are NOT part of the MLS SHOOTOUT.

Imagine the MLS SHOOTOUT package showing 1 weekend game per week with the same broadcasters...rotating games from various venues to try and cover almost every time team at least 2 or 3 times over the season.

As many of you know, the Rapids do not broadcast HOME games...only road games (this year's 4th of July game is the ONLY exception to date). Of course, some home games are "national" broadcasts by ESPN/ESPN2.
    If the visiting team (@Invesco) is not broadcasting the game...and it is not a "national" game on ESPN/ESPN2, then it will not be available to the SHOOTOUT customers. Same goes for Rapids road games. If the the Rapids do not pay for a road game to be broadcast back to Denver (and, thus, to the SHOOTOUT customers), and the HOME team is not broadcasting the game (really only NE, CHI, METRO, DC, and LA do much of this), and it's not a "antional" game, then there will be NO broadcast available at all.