No shite plastic for the Pars

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Teso Dos Bichos, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The SPL have thrown out Dunfermline's second plastic pitch appeal. The lowlife that is Yorkston has spat the dummy again and is threating to throw all of his toys out the pram. Dunfermline are supposed to get rid of it before the start of the season and they will need to re-arrange their first few games to get it done. Of course, he is threatening legal action and wants to sue the SPL for costs and loss of revenue. That is probably to prevent Dunfermline from finally going into administration. Let's face it, even that is too good for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dunfermline_athletic/4669907.stm

2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Re: No shite plastic for the Par wankers

This isn't Dunfermline's fault. They were told by UEFA they could have the pitch. Their problem was they bought a bad fake pitch, the one at Hamilton is fine. In all seriousness this is terrible news for Dunfermline and will lead them into big troubles. They have been spending above their means for too long like many other Scottish clubs. Hopefully it won't kill them. Livi are the only team I wouldn't mind going bust.

3. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

There's no way it'll be torn up before the start of the season. They'll make as many legal appeals as they have to.

I don't want to turn this into another Livi-bashing thread, but is this kind of tactic not quite common in the SPL? Dundee using it with regards to relegation, Livi using "just one more week" with regards to the administration penalty, Motherwell might well have done similar, etc. etc.?

I understand that an appeals process has to exist on grounds of fairness but the SPL is kidding itself if it thinks it can enforce rules like this less than one month before a season begins without a final appeal taking place.

It was ridiculous to allow such a sub-standard pitch to be installed in the first place, frankly.

4. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

They weren't just told they could have the pitch; they were PAID to be the guinea pigs for it, alongside all the other SPL clubs who had to play away games on it.

I'm not a Livi-lover either but I find it difficult to have any sympathy for Dunfermline in this instance, beyond the fact that they're being ********ed yet again by an indecisive SPL. The pitch was a financial move for them that's come back to bite them in the ass. It's not a good pitch and as sad as it is to see a club in financial trouble, the rest of the league shouldn't be made to play on such an appalling surface.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

Regarding the poll, I have no problems with artificial surfaces but only if they are up to scratch. This is their second plastic pitch and both have been very, very poor. Livingston have an artificial training surface that we have had for four or five years now. It is the same as several top clubs have used and it is vastly superior to Dunfermline's bargain bin efforts. I've played on ours and I would have no problem with having it as our main pitch.

http://fieldturf.com/index.cfm?sportPage=soccer

6. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Yep, I voted yes on the poll. As I've already said, this was a financial move by Dunfermline to be UEFA's guinea pigs, an the rest of the league should not be made to suffer for this.

I do wonder about the people running clubs sometimes, though. You'd think there'd be something in the UEFA-Dunfermline contract about UEFA being liable for removal and replacement costs, but apparently Dunfermline just took the short-term £250,000 (I think that's how much they got) with no thought whatsoever as to the consequences. Does that not just sum up the SPL, and indeed the whole of Scottish football, nicely?

7. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I have alot of Sympathy for Dunfermline, I don't have much for Yorkston as he got them into the trouble. However the club is the fans and they don't deserve to be dragged through this.

Their new pitch isn't as bad as the first one, although it still isn't as good as Hamilton's, which I just don't understand.

The plastic pitch was probably a saviour for Dunfermline who very well might have already been in admin if it wasn't for them having it. Yorkston and the board have overspent like many other team have and are now feeling the consequences. Dunfermline aren't a club who are always meant to be in the top flight, trying to make them a bigger club that what their fanbase is might kill them.

Mismanagement all round in this situation.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Quite sad really. What I don't understand is how Yorkston was able to put a new pitch in, despite knowing that the rest of SPL objected to it and would probably vote to ban it. It is stupidity and this has the potential to finally push them into administration.

9. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes, obviously it's the fans who are losing out here. Yorkston is a diddy of the highest order, though, and the rest of the league shouldn't be made to suffer because of his idiocy - regardless of whether or not fans lose out.

10. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    For the record Dunfermline's plastic pitch is far superior to the grass one the season before. It was like a mudfield covered in sand with large holes in it to drain water. Look at other pitches like Aberdeen's this season, often in shocking condition. Don't even get me started on the farmers field that Stranraer try to pass off as a football pitch. There are many worse pitches in Scotland than Dunfermline's plastic one.

11. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A fair point, actually, at least in terms of playing quality. But was it not the case that a lot of injuries took place at East End Park? I remember hearing that, but I don't remember hearing any statistics about it...

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Friction burns and lower back pain were the general complaints.

13. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Lower back pain? How?

14. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I imagine something to do with running on a hard surface with no give. I really can't see it making much of an impact though...

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

I've played various sports on all types of ************ surfaces in the U.S., and the artificial turf can really tear up all of your joints due to its lack of give. There is a whole laundry list of new injuries that will be common--lower back pain, turf toe--they can really get bad. I understand that there are now some better materials out there, but everyone I've ever played on (most were designed for gridiron) has been terrible--and that is including surfaces used by NFL teams.

16. LesO'lafatselik

LesO'lafatselik New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    If there's any youngsters watching, this is what we call a loaded question. ;)

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I aim to please.

18. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hail Hail

Plastic pitches are just bad and not worth the money you save instead of using real grass. A couple of years ago I played a scrimmage on one of these type surfaces and it was extremly uncomfortable to say the least. Ever run on cement at top speed with your boots on? Yeah thats what it felt like :( . By the next day I was so soar I did not want to get out of bed. I will agree with the other's and say I think the pitch will remain unchanged atleast until the end of the season.

19. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    :p :p :p

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004