Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, cool.. there is a music festival worth seeing Kaunas??? You have any more info on it, maybe a link?? I'm leaving for Litva in about 48 hours, and am very much looking forward to it :)

2. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Lithuanian family is from Zemaiticjia (idk if i spelled that right) which is western Lithuania, and Prienai, Pakounis, Kaunas County. Thats the exact village they were from. The people from these 2 places left Lithuania for the USA in the late 1880s. They were Christian Lithuanians, so there is no Russian or Hebrew in my lineage.

I am probably the only Lithuanian descendant that is truly proud of his Soviet ties through ethnicity. I adore the Soviet Union, and I think that it is spectacular that part of my ethnicity was a part of one of the worlds biggest superpowers, and that it brought so many diverse groups of people together. I like having extra camaraderie with my Ukranian or Russian friends. No one in western Europe can really say they have the same thing.

I know all about the unhappiness that Lithuania had in the Soviet Union, and the freedom fighters that tried to keep them out. But that wont make me hesitate to hang a soviet flag on the wall of my dorm.

The point I was making for that whole "I dont like any other former Soviet country" thing was that, if everyone is going to get offended when we bicker, that we all will need a national forum to ourselves, and that we can only access our teams forum. This would be ompletely pointless and stupid, but thats what they seem to be aiming at. That is why I am against that.

3. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    In 1989, I went there with my bro and my mom. We visited Vil'nus, Druskeninkai, Kaunas, Trakai castle, and some other place i can't remember. All i remember is Druskeninkai - forrests, lakes, mushrooms, berries, tsvetnaya kapusta, huge dragonflies and exotic butterflies. Man, now that was a place to relax.

5. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  7. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

How funny is this? I was there in 89 also with my mom, including Trakai (coolness), Kaunas, Vilna, and all that. :)

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So you were that bastard that stole 10 rubles from me? I'm charging you interest. :D

9. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I did find a 3 ruble bill on the ground there (seemed like a fortune at the time :D), and bought my dear mother a cutting board with that money :D So if that was yours, you can come and claim the cutting board which we still have :)

10. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha, nice DK. Yasik, you should take it, thats a sweet trade. :D

11. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yasik, you remember any of the stuff from post #75? It's weird sometimes what a 10-year old's mind remembers, I wonder if you remember the same stuff.

Near the lake they also had an AWESOME log-cabin style restaurant -- you'd sit on seats that looked like polished tree stumps. They had the best steak ever.

In the later years, someone wrote "NO RUSSIANS" in chalk on the path to the lake.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Silver Spring, here i come. That board better be in good condition too.

13. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's in great condition, has a pretty design on it, as well :D Lithuanian quality :cool:

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yes, i remember the bike, cuz we also rented it. I remember the movie theatre as well and blueberries of course. As for "lastochka", don't remember that. I also rmember a restaurant made out of wood in the forrest. It was so nice inside. I also rmember a little market outside the forrest and a bunch of grandmas trying to sell me semechki and some other stuff on the road.

15. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm also remembering that there was quite a large New Town somewhere behind where we stayed, but we managed to spend 3 summers there without ever venturing that way.

16. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh man, I wanna go to Druskininkai now! :) :(

I've been mulling over a trip to Kiev this October, but I think I am waaaay to conflicted about the idea to enjoy it.

17. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    And how does der goirlfriend mit de sexy accent fit your bi-sexuality into her dogmatic interpretation of Torah?

18. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Random recourses

Torrential downpour
    Re-designed (quite chittily Baseball Hall fo Fame)
    Herbie Fully Loaded
    the 100 rules of "g".

Guess the highlight of the day?

I'm posting all me former Soviet stoff on Russia forum and dat's dat.

I think dat the whole anti-st.sh.-salo campaign was M11's Macchiavelian plot to git to be a mod - "Divide unt mod, mit halushki i hrechka".

Cmblfgbmqc - are you gonna do de RFPL ting?

DKU - hwy not you?

Slitty - if you don't forecats - I'll git superpuperdupermod "g" change your nick to "Chitty".

Mit Z in Lietuva and de Saint's return in Roger Moore's fashion - vey zmir!!!

19. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TORPEDO: I have been told to do the RFPL thing by you and Slitty. But I dont get to see any games. How would I do it?

20. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    I doubt many of us see that many games to be honest. But knowing the lineups, transfers, whether they are home or away games all helps. They're current standings, their last years results, and so forth, however. It is just a pick and choose game, so it doesnt involve alot of watching. C'mon cmblfc, we need you.

21. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I jes got an idea on the re-unification.
    Z needs to make FM, Yasik, Dmitriy, Toon, NPA, unt Shurik - mods on Ukie forum to keep M11 under control; after the ensuing "srach" :eek: - it'll be shut down FOREVER.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    :D Est tu Brutus?

23. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    "Druskininkai man" :D But but emm Lithuanian men are so lovely :( :eek:

24. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

"I am a man whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood!"
    Eric Burdon

So pray, tell, who dis "Druskininkai man"?

25. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright i guess im in then