No news is no team

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Metrogo, May 11, 2009.

1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but if you are willing to be a Lazio fan at this point, you are part of the problem.

I have been a die-hard Phillies supporter my entire life. But if they allowed their fans to wave swastika flags at the ball park and that fan wasn't ejected by the end of the first inning, I would not be a fan any longer. I would put my gear in the closet, and I would turn off the television until it had been dealt with.

In fact, I wouldn't have to. Here, anyone trying that would be ejected--at best--by the fans around them. Anyone willing to stand next to someone chanting racist abuse and not say something -- anyone willing to tolerate evil -- is part of the problem.

If the club cannot stop people in that stand from carrying racist symbols and chanting racists slogans, the stand should be closed. Period.

Fascism is not local politics. Plenty of people here have families that were affected by European fascism, directly and personally. The endemic racism in Serie A and La Liga and the rise in right-wing extremism in Italy, not to mention the wholesale dismantling of any semblance of free press there, are not unimportant local political questions, any more than the rise of Hitler and Mussolini were.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well done.

3. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can anyone say that they shouldn't market to the latino community?! because we are american we should have just english songs and chants?! really? isnt that the beauty of America that we have all these diffrent cultures that melt together? especially in NYC! i dunno.. i enjoy singing spanish songs.. makes me seem multi-lingual :p

4. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    When did I say I was going to work for this guy? I know a couple of kids who go to school with his children.

I was a political science minor in college, I don't care if your Jewish or from Suriname and you married into a "brigade" that for the most part supported international Stalinism.

No one said a peep to me when I first came to these forums, that Lazio thing was on my profile the whole time. In fact I was getting PMs from all of you thanking me so much for the info I gave and askign me for more information.

I don't see any of you on the Lazio forums here on BigSoccer picking fights with those "nazi skinhead intolerant tolerant fascists!!" Please; give me a break. I offended all of you because I made a comment about catering to teh latino community and a good many of you are latino.

Who are you to judge me and decide whether or not I tolerate fascism or not? I live right here in New York, what am I supposed to do, campaign in the streets against a portion of soccer fans in Europe and what they believe in?

My gripe was with the fact they are catering to the latino community and not the community as a whole. I'm still doing research, but I haven't heard any foriegn language chants at Seattle Sounders matches.

You all assume I am Italian...and you all assume I must live in a white neighborhood and have only white friends. Which is fine...bigotry, double standards, and stereotypes run on both sides of the equation.

5. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well when you say you want just english songs and dont want to market to the latino community.. flags go up.. no matter who you are. present yourself better and people won't assume

6. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted. Regardless, we are all here for a purpose of FCNY, and side track conversations about Lazio and Fascism aren't needed. However, being a Lazio supporter carries some weight and it might be worth being able to defend certain criticisms, especially when the initial comment was about "targeting 'latinos'". But as Cosmos said, this is all on the internet and none of it is real, and most is misunderstood.

I think it is safe to say that an emerging "minor league" soccer team needs to target people who love the game. Give the people who love the sport what they want. The NHL tried converting fans and now we are stuck with Phoenix to Toronto 'burb (Hamilton) rumors (the fact that Phoenix has a hockey team and no soccer team is beyond recognition). If people love the game, be it "Latino", white American, German, whatever, we should give the customer the desired product. They'll be more faithful than any soccer moms and business associates.

7. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I agree, I am really sorry for comming across the way I did and the initial comments I made. I just want soccer in this country to be embraced by everyone not just one segment of our population. I guess I am the one living in the clouds after all haha

Sorry all :eek:

8. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BINGO! thats what we all want in the end:D

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You came off wrong - it happens bro! Its a message board - while i love message boards because they give me a place to talk to other fans - i hate them because you can not really hear the tone of voice someone is speaking with!

As for wanting to this game to succeed in this country - everyone on BIG SOCCCER wants that - we all share that statement!

HEY CHAPKA - if the Phillies fans ever did that and you hung it up - you can convert to the good side and be a Mets fan ;)

10. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cheers.

But nonetheless, any news on the club connection and sponsorship? We need all outlets as possible, even if it's simply people on BS. Buzz = Buzz regardless

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS APOLOGY. Being the resident hispanic of this FCNY message board, I'm completely insulted and outraged by your statements.

An apology CAN NOT and WILL NOT make a difference when it comes to blatant racism. I'm sorry that's just how I feel!

GOT YA!!!! LOL Just messing with you.

12. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are such a ballbuster...haha

13. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, that's a tough one...give up on baseball entirely, or become a Mets fan. I think I'd have to turn to cricket or badminton first.

Go Knights, though!

14. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    haha cosmos, as i was reading that last post, my eyes began to tear. good one hahah. and no, no new news. on friday or saturday i might have some new stuff cuz ill be talking to my "insider"

15. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Icahn works for the CSL:

"The reigning champions, NY Greek-American Atlas, will take on the NY Pancyprian-Freedoms for the Cosmopolitan Soccer League crown at Icahn Field on Randall's Island at 8:30 p.m. Thursday."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/sections/amateur2.php?article_id=18604.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    on fields without stands, I think.

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    While I appreciate your apology, your disrespect for people who with great foresight put their lives on the line to serve a cause that was not supported by their own government at the time makes accepting the apology difficult. Whatever.

18. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I understand why you are distasteful with me, and I would love to continue this convo in PM's if you would like. I was and still am under the impression that the volunteers of that brigade and the many other brigades (some pro-Franco) all were motivated for different reasons. A good many of them were Communists fighting under the wing of international Stalinism and therefore I am taking the stance my government took and not giving it much respect. I have watched a couple of documentaries on the Abe Lincoln Brigade, and many were there for just causes, fighting for a democratically elected government, so I tip my hat to them ;)

19. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a field right next to the grandstand - (on the side) check google earth - its a FIFA approved pitch I think - I thoguht the same thing the first time i saw that - but its not the acutally pitch - the grandstand houses a track and field area (which is quite nice actually)

This pitch us used for CUNY schools and it has stands for about 50 people

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im not a MOD or anything but lets move this convo off of this topic and back on FC please - it could get ugly!