No news is no team

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Metrogo, May 11, 2009.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well, what's new in that interview is that he is back pedaling on the games in NYC promise, and doesn't name drop the borough president's office when talking about playing in NYC. We learned he "loves" Queens (but chose to leave it).

And Guerilla marketing? Okey dokey. Good luck with that.

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that sticks out to me!

so this means they are talking to nassau? - not that they would not draw out there - but it would not capture the imagination of the NYC Soccer Fans!

3. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    That jumped out to me as well.

A USL 1 team could succeed on LI, but it would require real commitment from management. A lot of money would have to be spent on marketing and a lot of energy spent reaching out to youth and adult teams and leagues. The ownership would have to be financed well enough to ride out the inevitable bad years. And a real soccer stadium, not an artificial turf college football stadium, would help a lot.

The chances of FCNY succeeding, or even surviving, would be better if the team were located in Queens, however. Get a stadium near a subway station. You'll still draw Long Islanders, but the potential fan base will be much larger than for a team on LI.

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed - but out by Hofstra - they will not succeed! My opinion - depends on Nassau - needs to be right by the LIRR - but even then - people from lets say my area in BK - just to get the the LIRR might take as long as it would to get to RB arena!

Its all about location and accessibility - only way team this side of the river succeeds!

5. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    No doubt that a LI team would be better with a stadium near a train station.

Petersen's suggestion in that interview that Hofstra is accessible by train or bus may technically be true, but probably isn't realistic. I don't see too many people taking mass transit to see FCNY at Hofstra.

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Also with soccer getting more TV coverage and Dish and Verizon Fios and whatever, it makes it easier to enjoy watching the sport and that was close to impossible 25 years ago."

Right observation, but you're heading towards the wrong conclusion here, Doug (if you're saying that more soccer available to US-based fans automatically means more enthusiasm for a US-based project like FC NY.) It's now far easier for Americans to see many teams and leagues of a higher quality than MLS, much less whatever we can reasonably expect from a first-year USL team. Thanks in part to this, you can't possibly compete on the basis of quality-of-play no matter what. The perception that foreign leagues are much better will rule for the foreseeable future, no matter how narrow or wide the gap may be. So I wouldn't even direct much energy towards trumpeting "world class soccer action," whatever that means. This is one place where MLS overpromises and underdelivers.

Your edge has to be being "local," in identifying your team with the city/the area and its soccer culture, and not just in name.

7. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Unfortunately this is all I know. I do know how business works thought. I know that that press conference was to attract sponsors and that he continues to seek sponsorship. Its a vital part of the process. If hes backed down on anything, it is because he had to...duh? I mean its no walk in the park to get a stadium in NYC, whereas Nassau County has already provided a venue. And yes, European support is the first and necessary step to a successful team, and he already has it.

I know this is all vague, but it is all I know. Why don't you guys ask him yourself, hes got an office out here in Nassau =)

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I also know something about business, and I know that that press conference could have only hurt his chances with sponsors.

And I, and the Borough Boys some of whom are on here, know that it's no walk in the park to get a stadium in NYC only too well. What we object to is telling the public that he has been trying, when we know he has not, based on what he said at the press conference.

But I really do thank ou for coming on here and giving us what you know. I appreciate it.

9. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so optimistic. The Brooklyn Knights have been playing in the Five Boroughs for almost ten years now, and their average attendance is still around 200-250 despite a title run last year.

A few games a year in the city somewhere aren't going to cut it. Until the team is as easy to get to on the subway as Yankee Stadium, at least, it won't capture the city. And even then, it's a leap.

I think the Harrison stadium will draw more fans from the city than people are expecting. It's not an ideal location, but it's one train away from Manhattan, and that's what matters. If the team is smart, they'll be able to draw a lot of people like me, who tried to go to a MetroStars game once and never again because of the 6-hour round trip through Port Authority.

Could FCNY step up and do better? Maybe. But it's going to take a stadium in the five boroughs and on a subway line.

10. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe FCNY isn't looking to market to your demographic. Maybe they are looking for people with cars and are looking to have people drive to their game? Who knows.

NYC is too big to be pigeon holed in any particular way. People's attitudes can change from block to block, hood to hood.

FCNY has a big climb up ahead. Doug knows that, he's not stupid. We don't live in a world of black and white. Shit happens and will continue to happen. We just have to roll with the punches and adapt to the coming tide. We don't always get what we want.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So your saying doug is telling half the people in NYC to feck off - yea thats good! Real good!

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think that Doug is saying that, but its just a business decision. Same as RBNY does with people on this side of the river. They know their base is in Jersey, so they stick it out over there.

If Doug is/has backtracked its probably because playing within NYC turned out to be harder than he initially thought. Honestly what's the big deal. If they can eventually make it out to Queens, even better for them. Right now they are in LI.

Personally it sucks, but at least it's in 2010 and not later on. Would I prefer Wilpon in Queens? Yes all day but unfortunately thanks to Madoff that's been delayed. What are you going to do? I choose to roll with the punches!

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Chris -

First - dont say what Doug is or isnt saying - unless of course you have the message from him directly!

Second - I dont think any TEAM - should alienate ANY FAN BASE - if you focus on those who have cars - you ailinate a lot of the popluation who would buy tickets / buy shirts / etc. Shit - if RB didnt ignore this side of the River - we would have all been up in NE on Sunday!

Finally - From our meetings - We all know FC is going to focus on the Latino Community and totally understood but does that mean - if i go means nothing to them - if so! Fine! See ya!

Long Island will not draw - even if you hae cars - traffic is even worse now than it was 10 years ago with the Rough Riders - no one is going to head out there on a FRIDAY NIGHT.

If you think that area of Long Island will draw - call up Mr Charles Wang - and ask him why his franchise in the NHL is not drawing!

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe, maybe not.

You are missing a crucial point in marketing, you target a particular group and go after them. If anyone else wants to come along, so be it, the more the merrier.

I wouldn't say that they are going exclusively after the latino community. Doug has mentioned meeting with other members, particularly the caribbean and croatian communities as well. At least that's what he mentioned at the meetings. You were there.

Traffic is crazy. I've always said that the games need to be later but anyhow it is what it is.

I don't like comparing soccer to other sports. It's not the same.

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this makes no sense!

Yea - I understand marketing - but you said "Maybe FCNY isn't looking to market to your demographic" and finished that post with "We don't always get what we want. " which gave me the impression its like - this is who we want - if not then Feck off - from your post!

Yes - I was there - and what bothers me is that you were there when I told him - we will help them in their quest for a ground in NYC - and it was ignored - I mean I know he might think - "oh they are just fans" but If your so "I LOVE QUEENS" as he said in his interview - wouldn't you go down every avenue possible to get there?

eh - agreed and im not comparing the NHL to the MLS per se - im saying - Long Island has a professional Franchise right accross the street from Hosftra - that has won 4 Stanley Cups - has a rich history - oh and plays in a sport that is more popular / as popluar as MLS (Argument for different thread) - then I was asking why fans wont go out for that!

Not comparing soccer with hockey - trying to prove that Long Island (and im an Islanders fan) is not very good with sports!

16. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I really hope they don't target the "Latino" Community. Then again I guess this was inevitable. If soccer was ever going to grow it would be because of the Spanish-speaking immigrants in this country.

You are all living in the clouds with your whining about how there isn't going to be a stadium in NYC. The freakin Jets couldn't pull it off, why is a second tier soccer franchise going to be able to right off the bat? He has recieved immediate support from people at Hofstra University and that is where he is going to get the team started. What happens down the road, as he has said in multiple interviews, is up to the City, sponsors, and luck.:cool:

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

19. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    rofl...i didnt mean it like that

and wat you got against di canio! lol

just a side note - if im a fascist for preferring English at my stadiums, what does that make you for preferring Spanish and expressing happiness over managements decision to cater to the latino community?

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we are living in the clouds - you are living under a rock! Because you would have realized that the reasons the Jets didnt get their stadium was because a few politicians were "under the covers" with the Dolans. If not for that one final hurdle - there would be a stadium on the West side and probably a second MLS team in the city!

Yes - I do not disagree its not easy to get a stadium - we are not saying its easy but getting a 5-10K stadium is dooable - the officials in the City are not against it - its all about how it gets done and how the community is involved. People in City Hall, Queens and Brooklyn are all aware of Soccer and its potential - and for a stadium the size FC NY was looking for - it is dooable! Just gotta sit down with the right people.

I also remember him saying that "in two years" they would be moving to a stadium in Queens - and that the wondering between locations was temporary until they found a home in QUEENS! So while you might feel we are living in the clouds - it was the Club that was so confident in Queens in two years is what set our expectations. As the Clubs Strong statements how they would play at Icahn (which from contacts we have, said its not possible) and Columbia U - which we have not heard anything.

So maybe we are living under the clouds - or maybe we want the promises made delivered!

Not a Lazio fan! :cool:

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh, ok, so you're that kid who came on the BBs message board and talked about how "Mr. Peterson" is your friend's dad or something and you hope to get a job with them.

Di Canio doing the fascist salute is not a lol moment. F-in Lazio and their nazi supporters.

Most importantly, however, do you understand that there might be a difference between building an 80,000 seat american football stadium on the west side of manhattan, and a 30,000 seat soccer stadium in Queens?

But don't get me wrong, I never ever believed that a 2nd tier team like FCNY led by Doug Peterson and his partner was going to get this done. I always thought he was bullsh!tting, I guess what you're saying is that I was right all along.

22. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Not every Lazio supporter is fascist. There is a difference between a nazi and a fascist by the way. And I have never been on those forums. I am not a fascist. I don't support what the people do on the "Curva Norde". In fact I felt very disrespected when that kid likened me to Di Canio doing a fascist salute because I preferred English in my stadiums here in the USA.

I know people who know Mr Petersen personally. So they told me what little I know, so I thought I would come on and share it. Now all of a sudden im some villain because im a Lazio supporter.

Reality check, you guys are Americans, stop acting fake and getting all into the politics of a soccer team in Europe. Stop treating new comers to an online community like crap too, its not very welcoming.

It really says a lot about how politically sensitive people have become here when you can't even say a comment like the one I made without being called a racist. Funny thing is I am sure if i said, "gosh I sure hope we sing every song in Spanish and that the team is strictly marketed to the latino community!!" I'd be seen as a progressive and a forward thinker.

Despite trends and the influx of immigrants from Spanish speaking countries, more people, including latinos, speak English in this country. If you want to market your brand, why not market it to the greater audience and not a select - in this case ethnic - few.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dood relax, I was just messing with you, it wasnt meant to call you a fascist or racist. You can think what you want, and act how you like, you ultimately deal with the consequences.

I just find it funny that an italian speaks out over the use of spanish in stadiums.

In the end, its just the internet and none of this, is real.

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    No, not every lazio fan is a fascist, but every lazio fan and the team apparently tolerates fascism.

But hey, you brought issues of race into this thread. Latino marketing, and frankly marketing to most other ethnic immigrant communities has to do with business, with the simple idea that there are many more foreign borns in the nyc area who are disposed to supporting a pro team than there are native borns. It also has to do with the fact that we believe that Latin Americans and euros bring a soccer culture to the stadium that we find exciting. It's something you don't get in most MLS stadiums outside of Toronto and Seattle.

To be disappointed in the inclusion of Latinos and other ethnic groups can not be based on business considerations, since they are clearly the key to making soccer popular here. And since you are a lazio fan and likely enjoy the euro soccer culture, it can only mean one thing, that you don't like being around spanish speakers. I'll let you characterize what that means.

And as a half jew/half puerto rican who married into an Abraham Lincoln Brigade family, I know a thing or two about fascism and nazism. You're out of your league if you think you can lecture me or anyone else here on the topic.

Finally, and getting on the topic that you lead us off of, what you may know more about than us is what doug peterson is up to, and what he's thinking. To lecture us about the difficulties of building a stadium in NYC, when it was your Mr. Peterson, the man you hope to work for apparently, who said he'd been in talks with the borough president's office (which he hadn't) to build a stadium in Queens, is hypocritical to say the least.

25. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you need to open a political science book like the rest of the country and actually figure out what "Fascism" is. (btw, Paulo is openly facist)
    secondly, if someone came in saying we should ONLY sing in Spanish, i would say that's dumb too. Why do we have to decide what langauge to sing in? The Borough Boys already have songs in Spanish, English, even a song in French.