No more WWC??!!!???

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Sachin, Oct 8, 2003.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Ever heard of the term "the beautiful game?"

2. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Wonder if SUM/AEG/MLS would pick up the ball and take a shot at hosting a "World Championship" here in the U.S. in 2007 if FIFA did call it quits.

3. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wow, can you say rose colored glasses

4. ankhman

ankhman Member

May 14, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

China is communist country; WWC 2007 will be well attended.

5. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    People have been prattling for years about how brilliant the Founders are. Now the WUSA is in ruins and the WWC may also be on the way out.
    FIFA hates losses. For all the propaganda about the future of soccer being female, the reality is the future of soccer is where FIFA can make money. Renegades who want a country to lose don't always follow this principal, but when it comes whether a tournament is held or not, money is the deciding factor.
    FIFA just paid 1 million dollars to the Chinese FA for their costs in promoting the 2003 WWC that was moved to the U.S. FIFA hates losses. The numbers aren't in yet but WWC 2003 lost money and the USSF will have to take that hit. No profits will flow to FIFA. There were discussions here before the WWC about cost savings, cramming the preliminary rounds into 1 week and cutting down on air travel. Let's see what the USWNT did to cut costs, and keep in mind this was in the wake of the WUSA debacle where no one seems to know how 100 million was spent.
    The USWNT flew around the country on a chartered jet. Cat Reddick told the Miami Herald that the charter, with all kinds of service, made her feel like a world class athlete even if she isn't one. The Herald reported the USMNT even flew the charter from Philadelphia to Columbus, a very short distance.
    I am glad the USWNT made such economies to assure that FIFA will not cancel the 2007 WWC, assuring that future generations will have the opportunity to watch or participate in the WWC. Cutting costs were critical, partilcularly in light of the WUSA's financial problems.
    I was on the same plane Brian McBride was on returning from Seoul, following the stunning success of the USMNT. I saw Brian, his beautiful wife and small daughter, schlepp their own luggage off the conveyor, clear customs, and head to the phone backs at O'Hare Airport to organize transport home. They did all this on their own, without charters or helpers.

6. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    The USWNT was required to go to all of the six cities in order for the strip tickets to sell. They needed and deserved to fly charter, given that burden. The federation made the right choice for them.

It was nice, Thomas, to read about your experience flying home from Seoul with Brian McBride. He has always struck me as a thoroughly decent person and a great role model. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I flew a commercial jet from Sydney to the States (coach) after the 2000 Olympic Games. The USWNT members were on that flight, and, yes, they schlepped their own bags. Despite the massive disappointment of the overtime loss to Norway, they could not have been more gracious, especially Shannon Macmillan and Joy Fawcett. Wonderful people.

So it's not fair to give the impression that the USWNT members are spoiled like rock stars. I think that the newer players, like Cat Reddick whom you quote, were not used to the chartered jet treatment. And she has been playing with the national team for quite some time.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Women's World Cup will be here to stay, in 2007 will be in China, the European cup will be in England 05, the question is if the next american generation can take takes to the next level in 4 years, because the world are watching and catching up
    by the way here is a list of winners
    1991 USA
    1995 Norway
    1999 USA
    2003 Germay
    next world cup will be in China, the Chinese federation was not to happy about the cup be moving this year and they will do a great job as the host.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, Frank Cunha: Disconnect from reality, Frank. It's what's keeping hope alive.

I think that, instead of having a Women's World Cup, they should just hold a bakeoff.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Wow, can you say "facts."

Get used to it.

10. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Someone doesn't get any sugah at home, if you know what I'm saying.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    nothing wrong with the ladies playing Soccer if that's your problem, the goal in the final was just a beauty

12. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Excellent post, Michaelr. I never said that all the members of the USWNT are "spoiled like rock stars." From what I can gather, most of them are not. But some of them are, and the chartered jet, was a bad, bad decision given the uproar over what happened to the WUSA investment funds. Tony Diciccio has been quoted as saying: "What happened to the 100 million?" He is the commissioner and he doesn't know.
    The USWNT did not HAVE to charter a plane, and they did not HAVE to play in all six cities to "sell the strips". The strips weren't going to sell anyway and everyone knew it.
    Please keep in mind the discussions here prior to the WWC about economy and frugality. It was a very bad example to set a crucial time when the future of women's professional soccer, and the WWC, was in doubt.
    Don't count on there being a WWC in 2007.

13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    What does USSF money have to do with FIFA money?

14. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    That giant sucking sound you hear, is Sepp Blatter's bank account Hoovering FIFA.

15. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I was wondering the same thing. What does WUSA money have to do with FIFA? Also, do you know the cost differential between the charter and commercial? Was there a 'friend' out there who let the ladies use their plane?

Just a thought to ponder.

16. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I can fly 18 of my closest friends to New York from Chicago for about $17000.

One way.

17. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    If the World Cup makes money, FIFA makes money, as does the organizing committee. If it loses money, like in 2003, FIFA made it clear it would not underwrite the loss. That is why there was really only one bid (Sweden's was a joke) after it was pulled from China.
    If you are pledging to keep costs down, don't go out and charter jets. WUSA's financial troubles and the lack of interest (and money) in WWC 2003 were considered in tandem by the media.
    The WWC may be dead. At least it is dead in a capitalist world. Title IX does not apply to the private economy. If something does not make money it must either get someone to underwrite it or go out of business.
    China still is something of a communist economy, and may plug the tournament nobody cares about for propaganda purposes. But if it draws little revenue, which is likely, that may be it.

18. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Not to have another WWC, would be a tremendous mistake by FIFA and the gravest injustice for women practicing the sport.

I enjoyed every game on ESPN and Galavision.

And to see the clean and fair game practiced in most encounters only reaffirmed by clear belief that Mexican players are "divas, vedettes and ballerinas feigning fouls all over the place".

Watching some of the MFL's games you could say that Mexican players play like women and some of the women play like "real men", in a peyorative sense.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Efren, thanks for watching on the Univision family of networks! I think I only watched three Disney matches!

So, did Pablo go wacko when the game-winning header was scored yesterday?

20. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This realy is the heart of the issue, with the WWC as well as WUSA.

Title IX has had both positive and negative effects. We could debate all night as to which side the preponderance applies.

But one of the big negatives is that "Women's Sports Advocates" seem to have been rendered unable to make a distinction between government policy, as in the USA, where sporting bodies are compelled, under penalty of law, to create an artificial environment, and the real world, where you have to actually justify your existence.

Hence the obvious confusion and bewilderment of many posters in this thread and elsewhere. They are convinced that, if men have a pro league, why then they have a right to one as well. If the men have a World Cup, the FIFA must also give one to them.

But FIFA is not a governmental organization; it is private, and it makes economic decisions based on reality, as does the pro sports marketplace in the US.

Sink or swim. It's a cold cruel world out there beyond the protective cloaking of US Federal Courts.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, but... there but for Phil Anshutz goes MLS, too.

23. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I think it's pretty unlikely that FIFA would cancel the WWC anytime in the near future. A quote from an anonymous "international soccer source who has experience with FIFA" doesn't impress me. I can't read the rest of the article without registering, but the other quotes that Sachin listed sound like total speculation.

24. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do? Speak for yourself...

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Very true. But St. Phil had a plan for success, or at least he developed one very quickly after it was clear the mythical NASL-sized crowds were, well... mythology.

St. John chose martyrdom.

Sachin