No more just the big blond backup - The comrade Lunin thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Hendrix22, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    OK.
    Let us keep Kepa backup for Lunin.

2. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ️| Andriy Lunin is angry at the lack of opportunities he is getting. His contract ends next summer & there are no signs that he will renew. @JorgeCPicon

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good luck then?

Digital, RoadMan and zizou555 repped this.
  4. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    Get this man a new contract...I wouldnt like that he leaves us for free next summer

5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Carlo in post match press conference said Kepa will be back as a starter when healthy. Carlo never rated Lunin for some reason.

Anon. repped this.
  6. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    I struggle to see how Kepa is so much better than Lunin tbh. Specially with the cost difference.

7. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Weird, Lunin has been very reliable, even if a little shaky with his feet. Kepa has been pretty good too, but I can't imagine he stays next summer while Lunin should get his contract extended.

8. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Lunin has been much better keeper. More assured in the air, very confident, good with his feet. Kepa has been decent but his flaws are well documented.

I’m guessing we have a contractual commitment to have Kepa be the starter (or play X games for a financial penalty not to kick in).

Digital, boeder, Anon. and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess Lunin could've also told us he doesn't want to renew.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    His wife said they're leaving at the end of the season. You could argue that we could capitalize on him trying to show out to get more interest, but on the other hand, if that doesn't work out both the club and the player loses.

Lunin is 24, if he signs on for another 4 years of this he's wasting crucial years where he can make money and progress.

I could see him in the Bundesliga somewhere or in a situation like Portugal for one of the larger clubs.

boeder, Raul-7 and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe all Lunin needed was some confidence and game time, I hope he keeps it up but honestly I don't see the point of signing Kepa permanently.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Neither of them is getting the spot over Courtois unless he's dramatically changed by injury.

The substitute goalkeeper is a comically easy position to fill.

13. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kepa has had moments this season where his flaws have been on full display but we’ve just happened to not be punished by the opponent apart from maybe one or two goals.

That coupled with his reputation makes me very uneasy with him in goal.

Lunin isn’t some great keeper himself, but I do think he’s better than Kepa.

boeder repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lunin hasn't really been tested. Kepa's supposed to bring us through until Courtois returns, it's really a non discussion. We have a much better keeper than both of them already there, bringing in Kepa was the right call from the club. The sample size of Lunin's performances is tiny.

15. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Neither Lunin or Kepa really matter long term. So if there is no obligation to play Kepa, why not start the keeper that gives you the best chance until Courtois is back healthy?

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    El Espanyol claim today that Kepa has signaled interest to both the club and Carlo in staying behind Courtois, that's how they explain Carlo's public support for Kepa.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The price you’ll pay for him is not worth it when you can find equivalent backups for much less.

arcane repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have a hunch on why Kepa plays but it's a burning hot take.

19. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wouldn’t be so confident of Courtois making a full recovery, given his size / frame, and age most importantly.

arcane repped this.
  20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    It's Monday, if there's ever a day in the week for burning hot takes it's today. Let's hear it. :D

21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Adding to this conversation, right after Tbo got injured Carlo came out and publicly supported Lunin in strong terms. Said that he needs experience, but we believe in him. Then Kepa came and Lunin went back to the bench. Now Carlo says Kepa will play as soon he is able. Carlo is usually great at man managing but i don't think it was right to back Lunin so strongly for a total of 7 days and then back someone else. Don't really know what's going on behind the scenes.

I wouldn't want to pay millions to get Kepa as a backup to Tbo, we can get some younger player in for far less and we can groom him over the next 2-3 years.

Digital, boeder and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  22. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Younger players want to play, and they shouldn't accept a #2 role for a long time. We have always had a reliable veteran as #2 and that probably makes the most sense.

I think getting Kepa was important since no matter how we feel about Lunin he couldn't be our only senior keeper all season. Between Lunin and Kepa I would probably play Lunin though.

23. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And how do you imagine we can obtain a sufficient sample size?

I still maintain that we should keep Lunin as Courtois' understudy and have him take over a few years down the line as #1. We should steadily increase his runouts as Courtois ages and circa 2026 (or earlier depending on the shape he comes out of injury) we have a solid first choice goalkeeper without paying a cent. Otherwise we will have to pay a massive amount for someone, and I don't see anyone worth that kind of money.

arcane and boeder repped this.
  24. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    His numbers in the air/dealing with crosses are far superior to Kepa's and that's an area of major concern for us.

25. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    By sitting his ass on the bench and pretending Kepa is better DUH..

arcane repped this.