No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They said it was “serious”

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hopefully 4-8weeks serious

4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Tough one for him just as he’d gotten some flow back to his career. He’s out for CA at this point, the way it’s being talked about makes me think ACL.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would PSV still buy him if he’s torn his ACL? If not, his career may be back in limbo, which would be a real disappointment after the great season he’s had.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuuuuudge

russ and Winoman repped this.
  7. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Probably depends on the severity of the injury. A partial ACL tear (grade 2) is often just 3-4mos, which puts Dest out for the summer but potentially back before CL group stage starts.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Serious knee injury" and "long period" seems to suggest ACL, sadly. All the dutch source right now are basically repeating the same thing. More "research" is needed, but it seems "serious."

9. Brands: 'Negotiations between him and PSV are going in the right direction'
    Yesterday, 22:50 Last update: 22:54 17
    Marcel Brands sat down with Sergiño Dest this week to talk about a longer stay in Eindhoven. Those talks went in the right direction, according to the PSV director. Dest's knee injury does not play a role.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/1194882/brands-bevestigt-psv-onderhandelt-met-dest.html

russ, ChicagoVT, rooted and 6 others repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess anything could happen but he was undeniably the best fullback in the Eredivise for what was an incredible season for them. You have to think they’ll give him some grace.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At worst, he can always rehab on Barca's dime at full salary.

uniteo and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn so reports suggesting ACL. Out up to 9 months.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Some good news: PSV CEO Michael Brands says they're still on-track to sign him despite the injury. Dario Sports' Barca reporter says the fact that Dest has just one year left on his contract could encourage Barca to lower the purchase cost (currently €10m) for PSV.

Some extreme bummer news: Rik Elfrink published a report today that reliable sources inside the club estimate the ACL tear will keep Dest out for the rest of the calendar year. The rest of the article is behind a paywall, but the small excerpt says that the injury was "pure bad luck" during training.

Heart-breaking stuff for Dest after reinvigorating his career, but good to hear that PSV is still open to the purchase even with the injury.

ChicagoVT, mattjens, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Devastating.

Winoman repped this.
  15. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    ACL can be much shorter than 9 months. Perhaps, and hopefully they are projecting back to full capacity. Summer aside if he can hit the ground running in January at PSV he’ll bounce back well I am sure.

adi21 repped this.
  16. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Yeah my first thought when I heard was that it might make it more likely PSV could and would keep him.

Well, my first thought was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

17. Bad news.
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...er-in-actie-door-zware-knieblessure~aa1c6456/
    Heavy blow for Sergiño Dest: PSV player no longer in action all year due to serious knee injury
    Sergiño Dest will not only play football this season, but not even the whole of 2024. The left back of PSV has torn an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and is likely to be out until the beginning of next year. Reliable sources confirm this. Sports editors 23-04-24, 22:00
    Last update: 23-04-24, 23:47

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping for a complete and speedy recovery for Sergiño! :thumbsup:

ChicagoVT, adi21, TimB4Last and 4 others repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That really sucks. Hate for that to happen to anyone, but especially a guy with Dest's skillset/physical attributes. Was hoping against the obvious, but to no avail.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that will likely reduce the Barca transfer fee to a couple wheels of young cheese and a television set for the club lounge (do we still say television set, or is it just a video monitor? Now I feel old).

Or they can just pay his salary during rehab and watch him sign with PSV before he gets back on the field again

21. russ and Winoman repped this.
  22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This from the linked article makes me think we don't have a lot of information yet:

PSV coach Peter Bosz also briefly discussed the defender's injury on Wednesday. “It's a serious injury,” he began. "I talked to Sergiño about it. He would like it if he could explain what happened, what is going on and what the next step will be. He is going to do that in his own words one of these days ." So that news will follow.

Winoman repped this.
  24. I've no idea, but most of the times surgery is done after the knee has settled after the injury took place, so my best guess it hasnot been done yet.
    I think they wait at least about ten days before putting in the blade.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.