No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. This!

freisland repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I checked, there are tons of S. American fans in the USA.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I do love that the fact that Dest even knows that the Copa America is traditionally played in SA is seen as some sort of ding against him. That's the kind of reach will pull a muscle in your back. lol.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I wonder where they all came from?

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The Netherlands!

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Darien gap?

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote by the late Giorgio Chinaglia answers your question [bolded]: "It's the money, you moron" (a frequently spoken, with attribution, by Charlie Stillitano on SiriusXM FC's 'The Football Show')

WrmBrnr repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't explain the three S American countries that aren't a part of CONMEBOL. If CONMEBOL had to take those three plus half of the Caribbean nations they would be a lot more likely to want to combine with CONCACAF. Even CONCACAF would be better if we just chose the 10 biggest (maybe I should say best) countries and qualifying consisted of home and way matches.

9. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whelp. I didn’t realize there were South American countries that were not in CONMEBOL.

My point still stands: it is silly to host the CONMEBOL tourney in a non-CONMEBOL country. Obviously it makes financial sense or they wouldn’t do it, but it is weird and an unnatural situation to do so. What other region does that?? African Cup in Romania? Asian Cup in England (football coming home!)?

upload_2024-2-23_22-30-33.png

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US does offer the most neutral environment of the countries involved in the tourney. Mexico has the greatest home court advantage when they play in the US, but otherwise, not even the US will dominate the crowds or the environment.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I agree with Dest's comments generally, though I also agree that they sreflect a certain lack of understanding. He is a very wealthy young man because football is (run like) a business.

I think the problem - CONMEBOL's problem, FIFA's problem, our problem - is that hosting big tournaments has become so expensive (in proportion to the uncertain economic rewards) that only the wealthier countries and/or those with the requisite stadiums and infrastructure already existing can afford to host.

schrutebuck repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  13. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    His assist today: link

Another fantastic cross. You just can't give someone who crosses like that that much space.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s also pretty large diasporas of many of the CONMEBOL countries who will definitely turn out for games.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    My hope for Dest in the 2024-25 season - another full year on loan at PSV, with Barcelona covering his salary in his final season under contract with them.

It would be amazing to take a week or two and go to South America to support the US in the Copa America, so I agree with Dest here.

I've wanted to travel to support the US in a major tournament for over a decade now. I unfortunately was not able to go to Brazil in 2014, and because of that I've basically had 0 other opportunities, as I never considered going to Qatar (or would have considered going to Russia).

Generally, you're right IMO. World Cups seem like they will rotate among the rich countries of North America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim, along with any authoritarian governments who want to spend on prestige projects.

TimB4Last, Bruce S and Winoman repped this.
  16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    But you can't really close down a player who can dribble the way he does either.

dams and Bruce S repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when GB used to get criticized for playing Dest at left back or saying he could be the backup there in case of injury?

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    No, I actually don't remember that.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems pretty clear to me that he is better offensively playing on the left. He still needs to work on his technique when getting to the endline to defend crosses IMO... but I like him a lot at LB. Nice to see Scally getting some minutes there too for Gladbach. Really nice to have FBs that can be trusted on both sides of the pitch.

20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest was crucified on these forums for the better part of two seasons.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks were mad that he didn't take but one left back to the WC. It was pointed out that both Dest and Scally could both play there. It was a big disagreement here at the time.

tomásbernal, Winoman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ... always look at the bright side of life!

russ repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd hate to imagine the worst parts...

don Lamb repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You have look at the players in combination. GB wasn’t wrong in theory, but he was in practice. Dest didn’t play LB in Qatar, and Scally didn’t play at all.

Dest was not 90’ fit himself, so 1) he was only able to run himself into the ground on the right, while 2) Robinson ran himself into the ground on the left, and 3) Scally stayed on the bench, while sub-optimal subs grabbed Dest’s leftover RB minutes.

Bosz seems to have gotten this right at PSV, starting Dest and Teze most frequently, but regularly spelling them with van Aanholt. Of course a lengthy club season is different from a compressed tournament, but the common element is that you have to identify … and trust … backups at each position.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

Pegasus repped this.