No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    High IQ is correlated with a number of less-than-desirable traits, including mental illness, lower birthrates (depending on your POV on that) and marriage in women to name a few. The fetishization of IQ is pretty odd, actually, when there are much better metrics that correlate better with happiness/success/longevity. But that is a topic for a different forum.

I got no idea what Dest will do with his life post playing, but I will bet any amount of money you wish to name that his IQ is above 79.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh FFS, we're closing in on dumbest thread tangent ever in BigSoccer and that is saying something

ChicagoVT, russ, ebbro and 4 others repped this.
  3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Don't you mean "lowest IQ tangent?" Please be precise.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so many negative terms could apply...

5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, I termed him “relatively high IQ” or something of that nature, which infers this.

Although I would say that to be a professional athlete does in fact require more intelligence than average, particularly in regard to the high knowledge level and discipline necessary to surpass others in a world of extremely thin margins.

Just because their knowledge is specialized doesn’t mean that they’re stupid. I can’t tell you how many university faculty members display this same kind of specialization.

russ repped this.
  6. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have administered an IQ test to the top 50 players in the USMNT pool. Further, I have administered the same IQ test to the Colorado Rapids, New York Yankees, Werder Bremen, members of Pet Sitter’s International, the Canadian Parliament, and Pipe Fitter’s 507 as randomly selected controls. I have done this in the last few minutes in order to settle this debate. I am sure that the gargantuan intelligence quotients of those involved in the aforementioned discussion will lead all involved to conclude that sending me large sums of money to reveal the results is the best course of action.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IQ correlates positively with family income, socioeconomic status, school and occupational performance, military training assignments, law-abidingness, healthful habits, illness, life expectancy, and morality. Other than those traits, pretty useless sure.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #10808 freisland, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    So... not willing to throw down on Dest's <79 IQ? Figured. Bluster and not much else.

Meanwhile, check the IQ/Mental Health correlation. EQ has shown to be a better metric in most all cases regarding quality of life/happiness. Love freis

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we assume EQ is "a better metric in most all cases"--a highly questionable proposition for a subjective, self-reported, often non-reproducible test score--that doesn't actually undermine IQ also being highly significant.

Oh and here's a nice paper undermining your central point that high IQ correlates with psychiatric disorders: "High and average g-factor groups differed across 15/32 phenotypes and did not depend on sex and/or age. Individuals with high g-factors had less general anxiety (odds ratio [OR] = 0.69, 95% CI [0.64;0.74]) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD; OR = 0.67, 95 %CI [0.61;0.74]), were less neurotic (β = −0.12, 95% CI [−0.15;−0.10]), less socially isolated (OR = 0.85, 95% CI [0.80;0.90]), and were less likely to have experienced childhood stressors and abuse, adulthood stressors, or catastrophic trauma (OR = 0.69–0.90). However, they generally had more allergies (e.g., eczema; OR = 1.13–1.33)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9879926/

Also, I never said that Dest has an IQ below 79, which is a straw-man that you set up.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only know two people who love that series.

One retired before 50 after working for Accenture. The other went to MIT.

Neither post on BigSoccer, though, so they're dumdums.

11. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Speaking of Fast and Furious, Classic Onion here

ChrisSSBB and mace repped this.
  12. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'm more interested in the completely subjective and non-technical "Soccer IQ" and/or "tactical acumen."

From what I've seen, I'd say Dest fits more on the hot-headed, individualistic, and show-boating side of the spectrum, rather than the cerebral, tactical, visionary side of things.

Not that those are even things or sides of spectra...

:thumbsdown:o_O:thumbsup:

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #10813 freisland, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    You said he was "low IQ" - "Low IQ" is an actual classification in Woodcock-Johnson (70-79) and DAS-II (70-79). "Low IQ" is your actual words you wrote. Maybe I forced you to type them?

And here's a few things you could read as well:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289616303324

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bad-news-for-the-highly-intelligent/

https://medium.com/the-nuance/are-h...-risk-for-mental-health-problems-cfbf5042b80e

But, of course, this has nothing to do with Dest because we have no idea his actual IQ - although it clearly is not "low" on any technical standard, and it is unlikely to affect his soccer skills.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

freisland repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is almost devolving into a Monty Python episode. So either stop it or up the funny parts.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why not both!

Pegasus repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    They didn’t expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition?

FirstStar, Pegasus and freisland repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    When Dest was asked about his IQ, he answered a question with a question: “If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?”

There are different kinds of intelligence.

Dest was smart enough to recognize that when Bayern Munich and Barcelona were competing for his services, he could play them off against each other and ride the big wave to an out-of-all-proportion payday.

We can argue about playing time and development all we want - some have posted here that Dest should have stayed at Ajax and honed his craft. But that is crazy talk.

A professional player’s first duty is to get paid.

I think Dest is doing well at PSV in part because PSV is the top team, but also because his teammates understand how he plays. Noa Lang’s absence has hurt, but some of the combination play between the two of them has been fantastic.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would say it also - or perhaps primarily - because Dest understands how PSV plays. He really seems to get the Dutch-style FB role and is well-built for it. He is more average top-level FB in other systems. It's why this PSV stint will be good for his rep, profile and confidence, but had he been able to grind it out in Serie A he may have been better served long term. Hard to know, of course. I think Weah, for instance, has already, and will continue to improve his defensive skills, read and instincts. He's got a steeper learning curve as he's been a FB for only a few seasons, v. Sergino, but that said, being a standout FB on a runaway Ered leader will not hurt Dest much at all. Couldn't really have asked for a better rebound season.

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Anyone can say dumb crap when under pressure, as in an interview.

Anyone at the top of their career must be somewhat smart, whether athlete or actor, singer, painter, engineer, etc. Actors must memorize hundreds of lines, and be good enough to fill in the blanks on the fly when they don't remember the exact wording. Bet most people can't do that.

Also you have people like Ballotelli. The guy was obviously (to me) panicking under the limelight, and tried to show bravado as a counter to it. The result: he came across as incredibly dumb.

Imagine being on the autism spectrum and also being a famous footballer or singer or whatever. A total nightmare. Of course you're going to come across as a bumbling ijut.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PSV at home v Heracles (14) today. Smart fans will tune in - (ESPN+ in the Unified States.)

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Team of the Week Mind?

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    does that mean the rest of us are stupid?

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You are free to draw you own conclusions...

(*although I will point out that smart/stupid are not binary opposites, and any determination of intelligence, cleverness, ability or mental acuity is much more likely to look like a classic bell curve and any kind of determination akin to "smart" and "stupid" would be at the rising or declining edges of the curve, with the rest of you all in the fat, unexceptional middle.... lol)

RunthePoint repped this.