No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Tillman apparently has a knock. No idea donde está Pepi. Wondered myself.

Winoman repped this.
  2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Dest having a really good game against his old club Ajax. It’s going to be hard for Pepi to eat into De Jong’s minutes when he is scoring goals like that.

3. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Dest played with a visible limp for most of the game and was subbed out late. Still had a good game.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably miss the next match:

Allende72 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  5. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Classic interview here. Gotta love Sergino.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very nice and classy jacket.

NietzscheIsDead and Winoman repped this.
  7. Allende72

Allende72 Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Nov 17, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preserve him at all cost and get him fit for the game against Dortmund in two weeks.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Great interview, although I was disappointed Dest didn't learn from TA's experience and learn how to pronounce Iran. That was the most I've heard from Dest - I like him even more now.

Winoman repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Sergiño Dest suffered complaints in the away match against Ajax and for a while it seemed that the American international had a nasty injury. Yet Dest has trained with the group again, Bosz said at the PSV press conference on Friday."

"We are in good shape, most of the injured are back. Dest is also there," Timmer quotes the head coach on X. Elfrink shares some more information. "Peter Bosz says that only Lang and Til are not yet at PSV on Sunday. Good news for PSV: Dest trained today after all. A complaint that seems to be developing favorably," said the journalist.

https://www.psvfans.nl/peter-bosz-m...esseerde-psver-hij-is-er-bij/#google_vignette

Namdynamo, Allende72, BostonRed and 4 others repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I guess this should go in the Tillman and Pepi threads, but I'll spread the love to all 3.

PSV will again have Joey Veerman, Malik Tillman and Ricardo Pepi available in the away match against FC Volendam on Sunday, coach Peter Bosz said at his weekly press conference on Friday. The trio returns from injuries. Noa Lang and Guus Til are still missing from the Eindhoven team.

https://www.nu.nl/voetbal/6300911/g...an-en-pepi-fit-voor-duel-met-fc-volendam.html

11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Good stuff.

Dest is no fool…he’s pretty sharp. I suspect he is relatively high IQ for a soccer player.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I believe he will succeed nonetheless.

NietzscheIsDead, Magikfute and Alemannia repped this.
  13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It already hampered him with Xavi.

Pegasus and freisland repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dest starts (after all that! Tillman and Pepi on bench.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came away with the opposite feeling.

For anybody who pegs the Fast and Furious series as great entertainment, everything is in question.

16. Sitter

Sitter New Member

Any with USMNTers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2024
    Dest is 23, I dimly remember some of that feel. He'll get over it :)

RossD and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first purchase upon gaining a youth professional contract was a luxury handbag. Another data point.

18. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Welcome to the 2020’s.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m responding to a post that suggested hes a high IQ guy. He made a couple of comments suggesting he’s not. Then paired with his recent USMNT red cards—low impulse control is also consistent with low IQ.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lol. I'll go dollars to donuts that Dest is not "low IQ" - not that having high IQ matters a lick, or is even desirable, but it's absurd to imagine Dest has "low IQ..." That's silly and defies all objective evidence.

21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The guy strategically got the best of Xavi and Barcelona's management. They put all kinds of pressure on him to reneg on their contract with him including trying to ruin his reputation and other unethical maneuvers and Dest calmly took it in stride and continued his growth as a soccer player.

The guy is not only smart for a soccer player, but shows some savvy on the business side. He is playing himself into another solid payday.

I have always been impressed with the way he handled the dual national situation. Very mature for his age at the time. Not just because he chose the US, but why and how he chose the US.

On the field, he is very bright as well. Hopefully his lashing out days are behind him and Id like to see him discuss that at length.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10797 Jazzy Altidore, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Lol we’ve seen some objective evidence of it already—the red card he most recently received was widely heralded as stupid. I’d invite you to learn the meaning of “objective evidence.” Also if you think a low IQ is desirable, I’m not sure why you care.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh, you guys are like how teenage girls view their boy crushes. Most athletes aren’t super bright, nothing especially wrong with it.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Low IQ" has an actual definition. In at least two standards it is 79 or below. If you have any idea what the general abilities of a person with an IQ of 79 or below tends to be, and how Dest expresses himself verbally, navigates his career, learns languages etc. and you still believe he has "low IQ" we will just have to disagree.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that you now want to use technical definitions when previously you implied that having a high IQ may not be in fact desirable. I’m looking forward to your technical defense of that statement as well.

Regardless, Dest is a pretty basic dude athlete, nothing wrong with that, but safe to bet he won’t be coaching or in an executive office when he retires. I’ll give great betting odds on that one.