"no discussion of officiating" policy is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by AmericanKaka, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Huh? I bailed out of there until some douchebag went out of his way to drag me back in. How is that my fault?

2. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    And that doesn't even make any sense.

The way BigSoccer is moderated has been the killjoy factor for years now. I have been a good citizen and stopped going to all the forums where the mods are unbearable... but then the unbearable modding took over the generic World Cup matchday threads, which there is no real alternative to, so I brought up a complaint right here in the appropriate forum for complaints. How does that make me a bad actor? I'm been staying out of trouble here for years, even though you are well aware how longstanding my complaints about these issues are. Since you have no interest in fixing the problem, I avoid the problem. The problem came looking for me.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Hmm - so you're just the victim here eh?

The bottom line is that BigSoccer is a moderated forum - that's how we want it. If we wanted a place where some could go around calling people douchebags repeatedly we'd get rid of the moderators.

Some people don't like it - which is fine - it's not for everyone. But I personally think the referee forum is great, and an example of why more moderation is often better than less.

4. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I was going to make my point by looking up my infractions history and pointing out how extremely rare they have been, but I can't seem to find that info on my profile anymore... but I think it's like two yellow cards in eight years and one was rescinded upon review. Plus one forum ban by a guy who subsequently got booted as a mod because he was awful and everyone hated him. And you can look at my posting history to see that I never go trolling, I stay home in the forums of the teams I support... or in the case of teams I support but which have horribly moderated forums, like the USMNT, I even stay away from those. So don't act like I've been making trouble.

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I am just the victim of the moment. The BigSoccer community has been the victim of your ill-considered mod policy for a decade or more. The wrong people are chosen as mods, they moderate improperly, and they are not held accountable for their actions in the vast majority of cases. It is, indeed, eerily similar to the situation with referees on the pitch at all levels of the sport.

But basically, you have learned nothing about that after all these years, and that doesn't surprise me at all. I assume the checks are still coming in for you in satisfactory amounts so why would you change? More power to you. Although when I look at the actual posting numbers for the ref forums, which presumably correlate to pageviews, which presumably correlate to money in your pocket, it seems odd to me that you would think of those as "great" from a business perspective. My conclusion might be that, say, obnoxoious modding kills thread participation, suppresses pageviews, and costs you money. But I've given my feedback and you've chosen how to deal with it, case closed.

I reiterate that I will not be posting in the ref forums or any other forums where I can't accept the modding. It's clear that the matchday threads, at least some of them, will be among those. And I'm not going to be baited again.

6. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to put this publicly - I never intended to bait you or draw a response from you, and I apologize for that. I did and still do think your post (the one in which you call referee forum regulars a number of names) is offensive, but it was never my intention to bait, frustrate, or drag you into anything. I can see that my actions made you feel that way, though, and so I apologize.

dark knight and bungadiri repped this.
  7. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Fine. Moving on.

8. footyref1

footyref1 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only quoting this post because I want to direct this post to you.

I don't know you, didn't see any of your posts on the ref forum, so I can't say exactly what your situation is/was when it comes to that forum. However, I would encourage you to take 2-3 games that you are NOT invested in and see how they play out, minute by minute if possible, on the ref forum. More often than not you'll see a lot of the same posters and then generally share the same opinion on calls/situations. Sometimes they defend the ref's call, sometimes not.

For those of us who are refs it's about being better refs, by discussing situations we see on TV with other knowledgeable refs. Some are just fans who want to understand the game better. I would invite you back to the ref forum as I think it can be a valuable tool in educating some fans and crafting our trade.

crazypete13 and ElasticNorseman repped this.
  9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    That's very polite of you but I have lurked the ref forums plenty of times over the years and I am quite familiar with what I will see there and it doesn't change my opinion of refs at all. I just want to point out all along that I have NOT been arguing that the ref forums are the issue here, they are what they are, and that's for refs, not fans. Fine, whatever. My beef was with reffing being banned from matchday thread discussion. The mods, not me, wanted to send that to the ref forum, and that is something you refs wouldn't like any more than I would. I am NOT refighting what the ref forums should be, that's dead and buried long ago. I was fighting the effort by the mods to make yet another major forum of bigsoccer suck in order to fulfill their biased personal agendas. As usual dark knight doesn't give a ******** about what people think other than his mod groupies, and he made that clear for the umpteenth time. His party, his rules, case closed, and I'll stick to my own business the forums that haven't managed to be wrecked yet. I said my piece, I'm done.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    One curse/blessing of having a terrible memory is I have absolutely no clue what beef you have with me.

Here's my problem with your input:

• You claim to respect the rules of the forum and then proceed to trod all over them.
    • You complain that people are overly sensitive and then proceed to react in an extremely sensitive way when someone is amused by your insults.
    • You complain of personal agendas when you clearly seem to have a personal agenda here the life of me I can't remember.
    • You complain that mods are only protected and nothing changes and yet you seem to acknowledge that you had a yellow card rescinded.
    • You complain that you can't discuss the refs in general and willfully ignore the many reasonable responses to the contrary in this thread and the fact that the original complaint was considered and discussed.
    • Speaking of willfully ignoring - you ignore the fact that this is a moderated forum and hand out insults like you are a ref giving out unwarranted yellow cards at the World Cup. (This joke worked better in previous cups.)
    • You become hostile about being drawn into the referee forum and claim it is "douchey" for someone to run like a bitch to another forum, when here you are painting the whole forum of refs with a broad brush, insulting them, and doing so behind their backs in a forum they don't read.
    • You receive a polite apology anyway, and yet seem to think you owe none yourself for your hostility and insults.
    Aside from the above (and the humorlessness) your input has been great, but we fundamentally disagree about the state of things here. You won't change your mind about us but we do frequently change our minds and consider complaints and suggestions.

Prawn Sandwich repped this.
  11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

False.

False. I am perfectly fine with what people have posted, including towards me, as long as they can take the blowback. My issue is with what is being forbidden to be posted. I'm not the one advocating for more censorship. (And no, I don't take issue with your right to censor as much as you damn well please, I'm not making a federal case, I'm complaining about a privately-supplied product, so let's not have any nonsense implying that I don't understand the situation.)
    My personal agenda was clearly stated already. I don't like most of the mods here. I don't like how the mods are picked. I don't like how the mods are held accountable, or not held as the case usually is. This is not new, but it's not like I've been harping on it, I haven't posted a complaint here since the last world cup, probably.

Shit, a huge chunk of text I typed just got chomped, well, whatever.

Bottom line is I try to stay out of trouble and away from the bad mods, in the matchday threads we had an unfortunate "we meet again" moment. Now I'll stay out of them. Problem over.

Ismitje did that. He is a great mod and I respect him, not just because of that.

I think you are willfully ignoring the actual facts of what the mods said in their posts, and what they censored. They backtracked a little bit after I and others called them on it, but the fact remains.
    The mods hand out insults and violate posting policy and are never held accountable for it. It is that hypocrisy and thin-skinned swagger that drives me nuts.

What prevents refs from reading and responding here? I have no control of the dialogue here like they do in their forum. This is not some friendly environment for me. Other than the specific guy who baited me, I refrained from ridiculing them in their own forum, and this is the thanks I get? I can't criticize refs in the matchday forum, the ref forum, or the customer service forum... which proves my point... there are certain protected groups on BigSoccer who cannot be criticized anywhere, except possibly if you have a team-specific forum with friendly mods if you are lucky enough that the trolls from protected groups haven't glommed onto. There always have been such groups, and the rules are different for them. Refs are one of those groups.

I don't really think I have to apologize for being hostile to refs in general, the refs in this world cup, or the refs who frequent the ref forums on BigSoccer, or the bully-boy mods. I have ample grounds for hostility with all of them. Hence why I have avoided the latter for years until their cone of silence was also extended to the matchday threads. That irked me, and I was stupid enough to make an issue of it despite knowing perfectly well how BigSoccer is run and what the result would be, which is to paint me as some miscreant instigator and blanket-defend the mods. I am truly sorry for my mistake, believe me. Your party, your rules, you win.

12. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    And by the way, I didn't get all those rep points by being humorless.
    If any gentlemen wish to meet me in the Rivalries forum, I will give satisfaction as to sharpness of wit.
    Although the draconian restrictions on Rivalries have made it a dull and edgeless place... and I casually observe, with far less traffic than in the past... probably just a coincidence.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Ironically, Ismitje is a big part of the moderator selection and policy setting decision process but to acknowledge that probably won't fit in the black and white narrative you're trying to sell.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Getting back to me... I cannot be bothered arguing the toss over it since the group stage is now over. My question is will this unjust ban extend throughout the knockout stage or not?

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. One. Cares.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The fact that you read the post and opted to respond proves otherwise.

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ban should not apply to the knockout stage forum. It only ever applied to Group F.

18. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Having rep points for humor doesn't necessarily mean that you're not being a troll

Exhibit A

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Java Autoresponse Subroutine

/Thread

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Thanks for the clarification. I was unsure if it was going to carry forward and apply to all of Argentina's games.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know if you have problems posting in the knockout forum.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Everything is fine.

23. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    No one ever accused me of being a troll.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a very good one, anyway.

25. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I've been studying your work though. I believe I can get there.