No delight here: Tyler Boyd loaned to Sivasspor from Besiktas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    They don't have an obligation to do so.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus they can only loan him to somewhere the transfer window is open.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Unless the fact that he's not been registered with the Federation means he's not registered with FIFA.

That might make him the equivalent of a a free agent

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #779 ArsenalMetro, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Not a chance.

The Turkish Super Lig is run by the Turkish Football Federation. Not registering a player with them just means they're ineligible for league play.

He'll still be under contract.

There are a few places where the window is still open that are relevant for loan purposes. Most prominent are the US, Portugal, and England (Football League only). Australia opens next month.

Hopefully he finds a move.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So is this Didn't register him by choice as in "not one of the foreign players we choice to sign up to play this season?" or some screw-up/stupidity?

6. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    By reports they were trying to offload some foreign players all window but weren't able to, which can happen in normal conditions, much less a COVID-influenced window where a lot of teams have been hesitant to add to their wage bill. Beşiktaş has it better than a lot of other clubs around Europe and in Turkey, but it's not like they are a Premier League club that can afford to pay high wages for players that won't see the field, at least regularly. They can barely pay their players even when there isn't a pandemic.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's started every game this season, so I guess the answer is clear.

Dunno what they're going to do about it. Fielding ineligible players is a pretty serious infraction of the rules. In some countries it can mean 3-0 forfeits for all games already played and a hefty fine. This is football and Turkish football at that, so expect some massaging of the rules to be at least attempted (maybe somebody at the Federation admits to having screwed up and takes the fall??) but if not, Boyd is in a real pickle for PT and Besiktas financially: any loan destination they identify will drive a very hard bargain on the percentage of his wages that they cover

ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    It's about the transfer window.

Once teams have submitted their squads they can only use that.

Before that, as long as they are with the club they are ok

No ineligibility here.

There will be examples along as soon as the Premier League squads are submitted as well next week

9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This situation seems like the perfect storm for MLS to swoop in and get him for nothing. The MLS window is open until Oct 29. There would probably be several teams willing to pay him somewhere close to what he's getting at Besiktas (1.2M Euros). I don't know that any MLS club would match his current wages, though, so no idea if Boyd would be interested. But if the alternative is sitting out until January, getting stale, who knows.

sXeWesley and adam tash repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The rule of thumb is that the borrowing club pays 50% of the player's wages, with the parent club covering the rest. I guess there's a fair number of MLS sides that could pay that, but why would they if the season is all but over. The same applies to a purchase: since there's so little of the 2020 season left, why bother until the window opens in January?

sXeWesley repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of a full transfer, fee free to get him off Besiktas' books entirely. A loan with those terms no one in MLS would take. Maybe some club would go for 25% for the remainder of the season if a club has a glaring need for a wing option.

The reason to bother with a full transfer now is that he might be had for free if the situation is a bad as it seems. If he's free then it doesn't really matter if he comes now or in January--but in January who knows what the situation might be (in fairness, it's not likely to be better then than it is now, but it doesn't get any cheaper than "free"). Given that the UEFA window is closed, there aren't many other options for Besiktas to explore that might come to contract terms acceptable to Boyd. This is, of course, assuming that Boyd would like to play with a pay cut instead of sit for more money. If he has hopes of making USMNT rosters, staying sharp and visible will be in his favor. But who knows: Bobby Wood has made a great career of not playing and getting paid well.

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see him in MLS for a stint. It would be fascinating to gauge him a little better, although it does seem a complicated reach. I don't know anything about how this might effect the roster rules, cap and returning player lottery stuff or whatever, but setting all that aside, might it makes sense for a team that could use a boost at this juncture to make the playoffs, win the cup etc?

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Why would he be free? He's under contract for a few more seasons and they paid a transfer fee for him a year ago. Not being registered for league play for a few months doesn't change that. It's likely to be easier to offload some of the players they've been wanting to (whether that includes Boyd or not) in January, and the ones with contracts expiring in June are the ones more likely to leave for cheap or free, not the one they just paid for and have signed until 2023.

14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only because they have several players who they are now paying to train and nothing else. Your point is taken, though, and perhaps it's more likely that they negotiate a loan to an MLS team for the rest of the season at a rate reduced from the norm of 50% (per @The Irish Rover). Either way, given the financial constraints of the pandemic, Besiktas may very well be under water as is and find that giving away players is more beneficial than trying to keep them without the ability to play them.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Boyd isn't on the allocation list, but I'm sure someone has a discovery claim on him.

The fact that an MLS team can discover a full US international in 2020 is bizarre and archaic, but that's where we are.

Suyuntuy, tomásbernal and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have learned to love the quirks, even if I don't understand any of them at all, even when you give me an explanation with a spreadsheet I am still lost.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The short answer is:

1) If Boyd was on that allocation list, whatever team is 1st gets the chance to sign him, kind of like waivers in other US pro sports. Then team #2 could sign him, team #3, etc., with the caveat that allocation spots can be traded.

2) Since he isn't, he's then subject to discovery claim, which any MLS team can file on any non-MLS player (up to 5 per season, I think). The team with the Boyd discovery claim gets the first chance to sign him, or another team can trade for the right to sign him.

3) If he isn't on the allocation list AND no one has a discovery claim (highly unlikely), any MLS team would be able to sign him.

sXeWesley repped this.
  18. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    This seems like a very important distinction, but I doubt we ever get the real answer. I guess this and the Christian Cappis debacle falls right into line with everything else in 2020.

Start the first 3 games but then the club doesn't register him...WTF. Feel bad for Tyler.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    was he really on 1.5 million a year? Color me shocked. He only scored a few goals on loan prior to his move, just surprised he'd get such a large salary in Turkey since he was a no-name.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Besiktas is a huge club in Turkey

sXeWesley repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I guess it doesn't really matter if it can't be fixed somehow, but it may give insight to their thinking. If they looked at the list and thought "we can off load these guys salaries and we need to save some money" they might have done it on purpose just to clean up the books and may have a plan. If on the other hand it was a screw-up, they're still on the hook for his pay, I'd imagine, and will be desperate to get someone to pay a portion, which suggests a different path.

Will be interseting to watch.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    no-name

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He was loaned at Xmas to a relegation struggler and proceeded to notch 6 goals and 4 assists in 14 league games. That kind of hot streak tends to get parlayed into lucrative contracts

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is perfectly positioned here. One of the few transfer windows that are still open for incoming players & are the domestic league. Helps the marketability that he's an int'l. He's not going to get anywhere near Bradley, Jozy, & Dempsey $. He's not that level player & that trend has diminished. But it's a boost.

Concur w/ the sentiment it's gotta be a sale. He may only be there for a month-plus otherwise. Then it doesn't serve his interests much to return to Besiktas. They've shown what they think. And it's understandable how he's played there. He's been given an exorbitant amount of chances. Still a thoughtless thing to do to. He could enact the transfer in winter & open possibilities. But he'd lose time & how much better is it going to get than MLS at this point?

MLS has leverage. I don't know if Miami makes sense w/ all the int'l talent they bought. Could see a Nashville for 1+ & covering 1/3 of wages. Good defensive team, but need attack talent, connectors. Made in work in that style in Turkey, just not at Besiktas. Could have failed for other reasons, but this is what we know now.

tomásbernal and sXeWesley repped this.
  25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what makes sense at this point is for Besiktas to loan Boyd to MLS for the rest of 2020 while peddling him to European buyers for the January window. Either that or they could sell him outright, and he could either train with the new club or head off as a ringer for some MLS club eyeing the playoffs.