No Cosmos til 2014?

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by CCSUltra, May 31, 2013.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit it would have been better, rather than this starting mid year shit (second half season) IMO.

I have a feeling that Virginia will do the same next year, only play the fall season.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik Stover is saying on twitter it isn't true. We shall see...

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think we'd see pretty soon. They'd have to re-work the schedule in the next...well, let's just say the next several weeks.

For the non-Francophones, loose translation:

Having already delayed their entry into the NASL for half a season, the New York Cosmos could ultimately wait until the spring championship in 2014 before starting their activities in the field.

SoccerPlus learned Friday from various sources familiar with the situation that the leaders of the New York club that is not included in the Cup of the United States (I don't know if they mean not in the league right now or not in the US Open Cup by this, exactly) this summer were thinking seriously about waiting a few more months and being introduced in spring 2014.

The Chief Operating Officer of the Cosmos, Erik Stover, a former officer of the New York Red Bulls bluntly denied this hypothesis via his Twitter account. "This is absolutely false. We play our first game August 3, 2013. This story is made from scratch," he said.

In many respects this option does not make much sense. If the league has accepted the Cosmos into the dance (for the fall season only), it is because it is the New York Cosmos. The marketing value of this club gives him a weight that will never return to Minnesota United, for example. (HAH.) In terms of perception, such a decision would be rather bad, but is it too late at this point it would be more viable to delay the kick off?

Well, if this is the case, the Cosmos will come into the NASL along with the Ottawa Fury, the Virginia Cavalry and Indy Eleven. Recall that the Puerto Rico Islanders have also decided not to pursue the opening championship this spring after eight seasons in North America's Division II. It is unlikely that (the Islanders) will rejoin the league for financial reasons, according to U.S. sources.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should probably wait until it is picked up by US press with their own sources. Canadian soccer reporters can be a bit sketchy.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. Would have given them more time, but might have diffused things, too, after all the hoopla. Starting this August gets them on the field even longer before NYCFC.

They, too, have denied this. But if they just put shovels in the ground in Loudoun, they have, realistically, eleven? eleven and a half? months to get that thing done. They could conceivably play a few road games to start or play a game at a high school or something, but the next few months and the construction progress will tell us more.

Also, we don't know there's going to be a fall season next year. If they've got 12 or 13 teams, they can't run a split season the way they're running this season. Just not mathematically possible.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Frogs, man.

8. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Bullshit story.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I bet their dozens of fans across Long Island will be really disappointed if they begin play next year.

LokomotivZee and AndyMead repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Some off-season discussions leads me to believe that the split season was pushed down from above - that the teams themselves generally dislike it.

My guess is that it's probably gone.

If the Cosmos bail on the August start, I don't see them taking the field in 2014. If they really want to make it, I think they've got to get as far out ahead of NYCFC as they can.

They have cobbled together most of a roster, and they do have a technical staff and a stadium agreement. I think it's probably August 3rd or bust. But that's just an opinion.

Sandon Mibut and TerminusFooty repped this.
  11. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I agree with that guess

I agree with that guess too. Or opinion. Whichever it is. ;)

It's certainly in their best interests to not backpedal at this point. It does make one wonder though if there wasn't at least some truth to that story before NYCFC was announced. Intriguing!

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the French-Canadian site is the only reportage on this at the moment, and with all the other signs (and Stover's denial, which at least one bright boy would call a "non-denial denial" if it came from someone he didn't believe), I am going to guess the "sources" were just bad mouthing. Doesn't look like there's a lot to it.

August 3 is nine weeks from today. Spring season ends in just over a month. We'll know soon enough.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

We've all seen plenty of articles that seem to have been written based on conjecture in BigSoccer threads. This one included.

I just don't see any value in the Cosmos playing chicken with the Fall season. It wouldn't be unprecedented, but I would be a bit surprised if they don't play the Fall. 2014 is a different subject. If they're rocking Hofstra and sponsors are lining up, then definitely, if the season ends in front of friends and family, then not so much. I think they're going to have to be close to the Scorpions than they are to FC Edmonton.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's "playing chicken" or not. They have obviously expended some cash to get to this point (and hired an agency of record and all that). NYCFC may up the ante for them as they may have to make a splash signing to be relevant.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. They may be like a duck. But it won't be long before we know, it can't be.

Given they have the whole rebirth thing going for them, and six of their seven fall home games on Saturdays, they would almost have to be a complete mess to not draw well in 2013. If they fall flat (and, for once, I am going to take the over today based on what little I know), then, yeah, that doesn't bode well for 2014. if they're drawing well, the powers that be have shirts to sell, still.

Weren't they supposed to announce Emirates as a shirt sponsor (what's more "authentically New York" than that?) this week? Or was it supposed to be later?

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly it's coming on Tuesday.

I'd expect them to draw reasonable well. My guess would be 5-6k, especially with the games being on Saturdays. Maybe they'll prove me wrong (for better or for worse).

kenntomasch repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, thanks.

5-6k would be great for most D2 clubs. I think that would be a disappointment for this one, though, don't you? They almost could not have more built-in advantages. If they don't draw well, it might mean a real systemic failure. I have not seen their org chart, but I would hope it includes lots of sales people.

Bluesfan repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

They have actually hired what appear to be professionals this time around. Whether they're allowed to do their job, time will tell.

I do expect them to draw quite well on the road the first time around. I also expect them to draw well (weather/traffic permitting) at home at first. It will be interesting to see how fast and how far the attendance falls off after the novelty is gone and the reality sets in.

I just don't see how starting a team when the rest of the league is in mid-season form is a recipe for anything but on-field disaster.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only analogy I can give you right now as the temperature climbs and the pool beckons:

Was it 2008 when the Lakers and Celtics were in the finals? I don't follow it, but I thought, "Ooh, Lakers/Celtics, I remember that, I should make it a point to watch that."

After about five minutes I said, "Wait, this isn't Lakers/Celtics. This is what passes for Lakers/Celtics today."

I am sure the other NASL teams will expend some extra resources on marketing a visit by The Cosmos.

But that ain't Carlos Alberto. That's Carlos Mendes.

Still, they only have to sell it to their fans once, so we'll see.

Bluesfan repped this.
  19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very sound observation and prediction. We aren't Cosmos haters for having reasonable expectations based on common sense and real world experience in a variety of fields. I don't live in the New York area, but I can draw some conclusions from the launch of the Rowdies in 2010. There was a bit of a buzz about the Rowdies being 'back'. Even people like myself, who clearly knew this was a whole new animal were interested, maybe even excited to have a team to go watch. The fact that they were called the Rowdies and they wore green and gold was gravy.

They packed a baseball stadium with a horrible configuration on opening night and drew some other nice crowds that season, but the excitement around town and the media wore off pretty quick. What the Cosmos do have going for it is a great schedule. The Rowdies had some pretty crappy dates to work with. The Cosmos have a better (if not ideal) stadium situation than Tampa Bay.

If they pull out the stops and sell out opening night, then they have a chance. They only have seven dates to sell which helps. Getting their stadium plan on track would REALLY help. If they don't have more developments in that area, then expect them to wither away. Without real star power in their lineup, having their own yard will be a crucial component for them to keep and build any kind of momentum.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not Cosmos haters at all (at least I'm not). We're Myopic Cosmos Fanboy Haters (or Pointer-Outers).

KidFlash, AndyMead, Sandon Mibut and 3 others repped this.
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well said. Fan boys everywhere need a good dose of reality.

22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now cue the fan boy responses in 3...2...1...

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think anything has been written that sums up the neo-Cosmos more perfectly than this.

KidFlash, AndyMead and Bluesfan repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States