No baseball strike

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tcmahoney, Aug 30, 2002.

1. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
  2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it certainly disappointed me. I was looking forward to not having to switch through channels of boring baseball for another 2 months.

3. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I was a baseball fan.....they pretty much lost me in 94......I was sorry to hear that the strike was adverted...I was hoping to watch the league implode....

4. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunate!! Would have loved to see these overpaid steroid-enhanced "athletes" move off the airwaves.

Scott

5. dcaddick

dcaddick New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    On the Bandwagon
    The posts above this seem to prove your point.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    at some point i hope soccer fans can get over their paranoia of baseball. they are worse than the soccer-bashing journalists. i am very pleased the strike was averted.
    Go Phils!

7. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Re: Re: No baseball strike

I know. You advertise it with bright lights and huge arrows and everything short of an Entertainment Weekly cover, and they still walk into it.

Amazing. I hope none of them drives or operates power machinery, though.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not paranoia. I grew up watching baseball. As our attention spans have grown shorter, so has the publics fascination with the game. Add to that the quality or lack thereof of play and the inordinate amount of time it takes these days to play a game (3 to 3 1/2 hours) I rest my case.

9. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Just because there are folks here who rightly deserve the Soccervictim label in no way means that anyone who dislikes baseball falls in that camp.

I don't like baseball at all. I wish they had gone on strike and the league had folded and I never had to hear of baseball again.

I like soccer. I really hope that over time it will become a viable and popular sport in this country.

Both of these statements are true, but they're completely unrelated. I hate baseball because it's far and away the worst-run major sport in the US, and because of the incredible arrogance both the owners and the players have consistenly displayed to their own fans over the years. I hate baseball because on a purely selfish level, it's something I don't like to watch, and I would much rather see anything (up to and including Lumberjack Days, Strongman competitions and Sumo) on tv in spots taken up by baseball games. I would rather see highlights of any other sport - golf, tennis, cycling, beach volleyball, and yes, soccer, when I watch SportsCenter or a similar program without having to sit through recaps of 30 baseball games per night first.

I in no way think that a strike, or even the demise of baseball, had it happened, would have had a noticeable affect on the popularity of soccer in this country. I don't fear baseball or see it as a threat to me or to anything I hold dear. I simply don't like it and wish I never had to see or hear of it again.

We were discussing this at lunch today, and 3 of 5 people agreed with my basic sentiments. None of them likes soccer.

10. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:confused:

Then how valid can their opinions possibly be?

11. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoo hoo, no strike! Sorry to a lot of you baseball bashers. Wait a minute, I still have to watch the Mets suck. Crap.

12. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really I was looking forward to the strike because ti would mean more College Football & NFL coverage in the Sports media. I have no delusions that this would have helped MLS in anyway.

13. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    This time last year I though a MLB strike would be just what MLS needed.

Now, the no strike is just what they needed.

What changed?

1. The WC and the USMTs unexpected success, much of it due to MLS.

2. That simple fact that most MLB fans are not about to switch to MLS. Afterall, what do fat old white guys care about soccer?

3. Baseball, if it has struck, would of fixed its fatal problems, and come back better than ever. Now, it is doomed to turn into a bloated, messy, uncompetitive joke that will colapse of its own rot.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    While I'm pleased there's no strike, August has really soured me to the sport. The agreement may help try to fix the game, but the apathy in a lot of cities is still around, the bad feelings won't go away for a while. Lots of fans have been and will still think "The players and owners don't give a fug, why should we." (Hello most of the Boston Red Sox)

Okay so the agreement saves the 2002 and 2003 season. It's not going to help Montreal, Florida, or Tampa Bay save themselves. Some clubs like Toronto, Oakland, Minny, and Colorado will be better able to hold on to young talent. However, the no salary floor makes me wonder about how a lot of small market teams will operate in the future.

Not to mention there's a lot of lost goodwill that may take a while to go away, and probably won't completely go at all. There's a lot of pissed off current/past/future fans/consumers out there, as the drop in attendance proves. Add the economy in to this, as well as the questioning of why this agreement took so long, and you have a shiteload of skeptical folks that are driven to the point of apathy. Not good when trying to regain lost fans.

Bottom line: Armageddon avoided, but only for now.

15. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE

First of all sir, I strongly disagree with you on several points.
    1. The people that taught me soccer, like my dad and his friends, are now all fat old white guys and they love socce.
    2. Baseball.....already is a bloated, messy, uncompetitive joke.
    3. Eveything else I agree 100%