NMR- (R) Crew vs Revs (East Div Playoffs)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Oct 31, 2004.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    REVOLUTION 1 CREW 1
    (REVS ADVANCE 2-1 ON AGGREGATE)

Crew miss TWO penalty kicks. On the first one, Ross Paule's shot saved by Matt Reis and the second one taken by Tony Sanneh, in one of the softest shots you'll ever see.

Some unusual moves made in this match. Dante Washington (who played a total of 100 minutes in the regular season) started the match in place of Edson Budddle. Buddle finally started the 2nd half. Szetela replaces Kyle Martino in the 69th minute.

As a side note, there were a SLEW of empty seats for this one. If anyone thinks that a Soccer Specific Stadium in Harrison is going to bring in droves of fans, you are also believing that Ralph Nader will win the election. If a playoff match, and a team ending the regular season with an 18 game unbeaten streak can't pack the place, then I don't know what will.

2. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    What the hell does the Rev fans not showing have to do with Harrison NEW JERSEY.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If I may, good luck to the Revs in DC.
    Has anyone predicted sell-outs in Harrison? Most would just be happy to get out own house. Marketing in NY is different that Columbus. I don't see sell-outs in LA & wouldn't expect them anywhere until the league itself reaches a higher standard. Does any soccer league in the world feature sold-out stadiums? I watch Italian games involving the major clubs & see lots of empty seats. Some English & German clubs fill their stadiums, but I walked up to the smallest Premier League stadium in London 2 years ago and the box office was open & selling seats (albeit extras to "club members", so I had to scalp).

4. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    whatever cash is being generated is mostly going to the team. I bet they'll have to sell alot less seats to break even than in giants stadium with their high rent. And thats the major reason metro wants a SSS

5. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    What the hell does the Rev fans not showing have to do with Harrison NEW JERSEY.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You might get a response if you ask why Crew fans did not show, as the game was played in Columbus.
    Then again, you might not.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched this game...My god....
    Andrulis outsucked Bradley over the 2 game series....made Bob look like a genius when compared to him....
    Sitting Buddle, your top scorer and most talented forward? For Washington.... Wow, amazing.... Maybe Andrulis feels MLS is so loaded with talent that Buddle can sit on the bench.... Hey, how about a trade? Based on what he did today, he surely can be conned into doing so :)

Buddle is from NY, right? It looked to me (maybe someone can confirm) that after scoring he showed a bit of displeasure towards the guy who sat him down the first 45 minutes, but i might be wrong.....

8. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Must say that I'm impressed that this thread exists in a Metro forum. It shows me that Metro fans are MLS fans too. Pretty cool.

Being, still relatively new to MLS forgive the question.

Metro fans would be pulling for whom in the DC/NE match?

I would think Metro fans hate DC more than NE and therefore would go for NE right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

9. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    Well, for one thing, we hate everybody. Interesting question though. I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers. For me, although I really hate losing to DC, they have some good fans, and I respect the way they've played this year. It kinda pisses me off that the Revs take most of the season off every year, then still find themselves in a position to win it all in the post season. So I hope DC beats them. Still hate them though.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DON"T ********ING REMIND ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

METRO COULD HAVE HAD HIM!!!!!!!!!!

#1 ANSWER TO THE ABOVE THREAD ON WHY BRINGING BACK OZ IS A VERY VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

11. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well that's fair. I'm from CT originally and only started following DC and MLS when I moved to England. I was noticing that I only follow English teams when they have an American on them. So I learned about MLS and wanted to follow an American team. Looked at the Metros and Revs but settled on United just because it sounded like a soccer team. Yes it was a shallow decision but I had to tell my Brit friends who I supported and they make fun of the other names like Fire!! That was about 2 years ago now.

Interesting point about the Revs. It goes back to the silly playoff format really. Perhaps just the top two from each should play each other to advance to the Final? Must say that when I first moved to England and started following the Premiership I was a little shocked when at the end of the season the team on top won!! I was like, is that it? No building up or playoff? haha. BUT I DIGRESS!!

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really torn about this. I mean NE plays anti-futbol very very well and Nicol gets the most out of a very pedestrian bunch. So I would usually not mind DC to get it,

BUT

The mere idea of Freddy Adu winning just makes me want to vomit.

BTW - over/under on dodgy calls going in DC's favor is 4

13. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Matt Reiss played a helluva game. JW fans take note - that is the attitude to have, how to come off your line and how to sutff a kick in the other team's face.

And when he got faked out, he ripped around on the ground and still grabbed the ball , backwards yet, from a player advancing on his empty net!

Very entertainng soccer match. Kudos to Matt for a spectacular match!

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

What means this "go for" stuff?

You think Yankees fans "went for" Boston or St. Louis in the Series?

A pox on all their houses!!!