NK Crisis cont...

Discussion in 'International News' started by melonbarmonster, Jan 8, 2010.

1. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
  2. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Let's try again.... please refrain from making posts that are unrelated to the topic of the thread. Thanks.

New video from NPR that gives you a good, plain explanation of how bad it is in NK. Hopefully this will dispel notions NK's are not starving and life is good and dandy in NK. ALL reports about NK from anyone who has actually visited the place(UN workers and foreign diplomats) and escaped from NK are unanimous.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2eBo2USoQ"]YouTube- Ordinary Lives in North Korea[/ame]

3. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    This dude was actually born and raised in a prison camp and escaped as an adult after a fellow prisoner from Pyongyang told him about food that he used to eat in the city. The guy never ate anything but prison food and he made it out alive. This is his talk at Google.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms4NIB6xroc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- BORN AND RAISED IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP[/ame]

More about him

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdNW8CbxYY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Shin:The Movement[/ame]

4. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Real footage of NK filmed secretly and smuggled out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITBqRSMBWaM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- North Korea Daily Life[/ame]

5. FCShootdori

FCShootdori Red Card

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sigh, NK collapse is imminent. I pray that KJI on his deathbed or whatever does not decide to engage the South.

But then again, a reunified Korea is not something the major players in the NEA sphere want.

One of China's many reasons ... a reunified Korea would mean a democratic nation on its doorstep, along with an American military presence.

Freaking jjankgaes sent 1 million + troops to ensure NK didn't lose 6.25, utterly disgusting.

6. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is incredibly eye-opening. I had no idea life in NK could possibly be this bad

7. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I saw a South Korean and a Japanese documentary on the famine in North Korea about a decade ago. There was a footage of a grave that was formed during the famine. It covered an entire mountain. It was seen from the other side of the NK-Chinese border. I saw the ggotjebbis in a more recent documentary two years ago. This has been going on for a long time since the early 90s. Life was already hard for NK ordinary life before the 90s, but at least people had food. Everyone in South Korea knows about this. The argument is that one side wants to help the North now while the other side wants to wait till the NK government collapses.

8. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
  9. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Do you happen to know where I can watch the full 90 minute version of that last video you posted? I've been looking around, but found nothing.

10. Katz-redded

Katz-redded Red Card

Feb 15, 2007
    qina Opposed to Korean Reunification, Says U.S. Expert

qina I'm pretty sure, but Japan? this thing of qina stationing roaches near the border because of refugees in case of an imminent collapse of the regime is pure BS.

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    No sorry

12. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    interesting things are happening in North Korea since that clip was made...

For a while now, South Korean dramas have penetrated North Korean population so the people over there are better aware of things.... also more radio transmissions by groups like Good Friends, Free NK Radio, Radio Free Asia, etc. are being received.

Add to this, Lee Myung Bak government has done a 180 on the previous administration's sunshine policy, and the people over there are feeling it. Workers in gaesung are filling the pinch and they are not receiving the kind of rice they've been receiving.

Recently they tried to engage in currency reform, but it had the opposite effect in controlling inflation and the population anger has increased.

While all this is happening, Kim Jong Il's health is deteriorating and there was uncertainly about succession---now his son Kim Jong Eun seems to be being groomed for succession.

Just now AP has released news that Kim Jong Il has admitted that his government has failed to achieve Kim Il Sung's vision of a more prosperous North Korea and that he is continuing to strive towards that goal.

I can only assume that Kim Jong Il thinks he might croak soon. I just hope that turns out to be a good thing.

13. FCShootdori

FCShootdori Red Card

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Heh, I remember when Kim Il Sung was ill, and how I fervently wished for him to die.

If lil' Jong Il dies, and Jong Un takes over, well shit I hope he has a little more sense.

14. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    here are some lighter fairs. north korean comedy schits.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY95qtkeMCY"]YouTube- Comedy Skit Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEYtO_DVDLk&feature=related"]YouTube- Comedy Skit Part 2-[/ame]

15. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Can you not jack the thread. Go start another thread for this stuff please.

16. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    sorry, I tried to delete the post for you, but I couldn't. mebbe a mod can do it...

thought that it would be nice for people to get "big picture" when it comes to North Korea.

people usually only talk about nukes and human rights, but are more or less clueless about it's cultural aspects.

17. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    You think these 'comedy' clips are 'culture' and gives a "big picture" in light of the millions of people dead and dying in the hellhole that is NK??? You got problems. Good grief. If you want to push some sort of liberal agenda go start another thread instead of trying to weasel that shizz in here.

This is almost as bad when you were arguing that Japan apologized and Koreans should get over it.

18. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    hahaha. I won't frisk you this time, because I actually believe in your cause.

but if google search North Korea, you basically get similar things to what you posted. This isn't to say what you are doing with this thread is trivial, but I thought people might find it interesting to watch north korean comedy.

Stuff like that is HARD to find.

if you really want to find out more about this I suggest

www.dailynk.com

news site run by north korean defectors/refugees living in South Korea. it's often the first to break news.

19. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    It's not hard to find at all. It's all over youtube. Korean ucc sites are full of them created by LMB hating Korean liberal lemmings who get a hardon at Nork propaganda produced musicals and performances like it's the greatest shizz since gochu garoo. Whatever kitsch value you think there is in NK propaganda try to exercise a smidgen of perspective.

20. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    actually I would be very grateful to you if you could find links of them for me, because my korean language skill is deficient enough so that it is hard for me to find them.

at least in the english language it is much easier to find stuff like clips of North Korean jangmadang or ggotjaebi.

In anycase, I was fascinated by the Korean comedy skit, because you can tell how "behind" they are in terms of comedy too. North Korean television dramas, TV, commercials... I find them all to be fascinating, because at one hand, they resemble early 1980's south korean television drama like Jun-Ok-Il-Gi, but with dosage of political propaganda. I think non-koreans misses out on the context of North Korean communism when they don't watch stuff like that---that North Korean communism is indeed, as they claim, communism with korean characteristics.

Comedy skit for example, shows how exactly isolated North Korea is. You misses out on how encompassing north korean information control is, if you don't pay attention to their culture.

21. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    LOL. Look at this Roh fanboy's comments of WNYC's clip on their show about NK Crisis:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2eBo2USoQ&NR=1"]YouTube- Ordinary Lives in North Korea[/ame]

"In North Korea, house is free.
    In North Korea, people have 100% medical care.
    Why dont these guys ever talk about that?"

"By the way , US has the most number of serial killers. 2 million prisoners.
    Everyday 5 children die from adult abuse.
    Nobody trust anyone in US.
    This is the truth."

"Kim, Jung Il is a greatest leader.
    That woman has no idea what she is talking about."

"she is just a lier.
    North Korea made their own cars.
    North Korean made their own rockets. rockets. u know what I am talking about?
    Does that woman has any slight idea of rocket firing?
    just type KCTV and find NK made videos.
    She is lying again like not allowing anything on the wall. She is just an idiot."

"look look at US country side.. or even
    many behind houses in US.
    I wonder if any house would be worse than that."

These are the idiots who are front and center at anti-US protests and anti-LMB protests.

22. Katz-redded

Katz-redded Red Card

Feb 15, 2007
    I'm quite surprised he even have followers. A jaded piece of crap whose favorite nickname was "idiot" in addition a loser who do plastic surgery in order to garner more votes and yet reach power and even have followers you can imagine the ludicrousness of Korean politics. The pro-losers even launched a party of themselves recently.

23. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZMwoY7DyM"]YouTube- North Korean Camps - North Korea[/ame]

24. wolf7592

wolf7592 Member

Nov 25, 2001
    I don't think many people (any?) will think that North Korea is a good place to live in. The biggest issue is that there really isn't anything that can be done about the misery of the people suffering there.

Humanitarian aid will get funneled into the army, so any food/medicine shipments would harm the South in the long run. Thus, it seems really difficult to help the people directly through it. Also, actively trying to vitalize the economy through the Kaesong industrial complex, puts money into the North which may (probably be?) be used to purchase weapons. So it does not give the South any incentive to actively help the North.

If the North implodes (with or without external pressure), the potential instabilty within the North and the possibility of armed conflict with the South would make it that there would be no utility for any party involved. (please make nationlistic arguments as to the One Korean people and land here) Thus, there is a balancing act so that the North doesn't collapse, while making sure that it is not healthy enough to prosper. All the while the people living within suffer. It really is tragic... I hope that better minds will come up with an answer that can solve this, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The only thing I can come up with is that the North's regime collapses but gets aid so that the North RETAIN its sovereignty (sp?). The main reason being that the people in the North would be miserable in intergrating with the South Korean society.

An interesting comment with regards to the role of the buffer that North Korea plays can be interpreted also as a plus for the South, as South Korea would have no wish to share a border with China. I actually could imagine the Aprokgang in a Unified Korea as the Rio Grande, especially considering the region that borders the current North Korea have people that speak some Korea (albeit with a very distinguishable accent).

25. lamdas-redded

lamdas-redded Red Card

Jan 27, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't understand why NK shoot some missiles.
    If NK do missiles shooting training in East Sea then Japaneses will fear the most.