[NJR] General World Cup Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Yojimbo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    That's the magic of football and why billions of people are watching WC games - money doesn't play any role here and it's all about skills of the players. And about what You wrote about Italian football - sad but true.

2. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You are so subjective and so black and white...

If you were an Iraqi whose family has been killed as collateral damage by an American bomb, you think you would care about North Korea and Kim Jong Il? (Here is an example with human beings -- I would have preferred not being forced to use it...)

You seem to see the world in black and white: US and North Korea, our teams and the other Asian teams, cowboys and indians...

I am not making charts or tables, mine are just examples to try (in vain...) to make you understand that there are different points of view, but you seem to have decided that yours is the only one that matters, and that you are right no matters what... That is why there is no meaning in going on with the discussion... :rolleyes:

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As a matter of fact, I believe this has been so far a magic World Cup, and it would be even better if Japan goes through... :rolleyes:

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    If you can't quit being a raging dick, maybe you should find somewhere else to post for a while.

5. defunct

defunct Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio
    Agreed, wholeheartedly. :D

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  7. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Maybe goru or anyone else will know that: do I recall correctly that Italians welcomed the NT members with tomatoes being thrown at them when they arrived home after not advancing from group stage in 1966 WC?

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was not born yet, but I know that for a fact.
    This time, I expect mainly indifference.

Nobody really cared much about this team.
    As in the case of France, one wonders why they bothered qualifying if they did not want to play... :rolleyes:

9. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    They didn't bother? As far as I know when French arrived at Bourget (near Paris) they were quickly isolated from fans and journalists by police to prevent riots. And some of the left went through back doors. Some even didn't showed up, like Ribery who went quickly to Munich by plane chartered by Bayern. And thanks for the reliable info.

10. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  11. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I think he is just upset that Okada is doing well.

Edit: Just read what he wrote on the other thread. I take that back. Apologies.

12. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hey, I don't think it is that simple. Trust me, living a life of a Zainichi in Japan is not exactly as easy as you are depicting in your head.

13. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    AFC performance in the World Cup:

Code:
                     Pld   W    D    L    F     A    GD    Pts
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    1  Japan          3    2    0    1    4     2     +2    6
    2  South Korea    3    1    1    1    5     6     -1    4
    3  Australia      3    1    1    1    3     6     -3    4
    4  North Korea    3    0    0    3    1    12    -11    0

:D

14. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, I remember watching drunken business men picking on the girls who went to the Chosen gakkou (Korean school) near my house. Really felt bad for them, having to take shit all the time from a bunch of idiots. They get taunted and called names pretty much everyday on the train.

I was waiting for the Korean Consulate bodyguards to kick some ass at some point (they did get into a fight with the riot police in Fukuoka, which was pretty funny, cause they both happened to go out drinking and come back to their dorms which were right next to each other and decide to throw down).

15. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Glad to know that there is someone that feels the "attempted rivalry" pretty stupid.

16. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    I shouldn't put my two cents, and cause fuss but I just got tempted. Americankaka. What would you say that if he played for Japan? He was eligible to play for the JNT as you already know. Seriously, grow up.

17. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think we all see it a bit stupid. There is no rivalry. Neither country has anything to do with each other.

18. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kuuuujiiiraaa!!!

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    That he made the right decision to honor the country to which he owes not just his career but his freedom (Japan) and repudiate an evil mass-murderer.

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Victim card, played.
    I knew that was coming.
    People will justify anything by saying that someone is oppressing them.

21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    I'm in a good mood at the moment, so I'll laugh that one off.
    Just reading off FIFA website, looks like Oliver Kahn is impressed with Eiji Kawashima xD

Fifa Question:

Who has been the best goalkeeper of the tournament so far?

HAHAHA, I think thats because Eiji's skitz attacks reminds Kahn of himself. That just made my freaking day!

22. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    I'm on suicide watch because of the Uruguay loss.

23. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    WTF is wrong with killing whales ??
    Why is it any different than killing a cow or deer or any other animal ?

Anyway, I do find it all a bit disingenuous. I like Chong Tese -- and have no problem with him playing for DPRK. But all this stuff about crying for North Korea is a little silly to me considering he's spent what? Maybe a week or two at a time there? And only as a "national hero" of sorts ?

I'm not even going to get into what I think about Chongryon -- there's a reason it's banned even in South Korea.

24. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Initially werent there problems with him fitting in with the squad seeing that he is South Korean born in Japan, and he couldnt communicate well with the North Koreans. I heard, not many warmed up to him at the start...they probably still don't like him. who knows xD

Interesting article.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2010/06/137_68205.html

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am just saying it is not our place to judge other people's personal choices, specially since neither of us have no idea, what what kind of a life he has been through. He may have more freedom in Japan, but his life that you are depicting in your head is just an assumption. Plus I do not see any problem representing his parent's or grandparent's country. That does not mean, I support North Korean politics.

For example, my parents moved to Japan, because of religious conflict in our country; more liked they were kicked out of the country due religious discrimination and segregation. I will receive my Japanese citizenship soon, but my brother will keep my parents citizenship. I do not think there is anything wrong with both of our choices.