[NJR] General World Cup Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Yojimbo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was made up for Landon when he got that goal. Sets up a tasty tie between England and Germany too, :cool:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. We must stay positive! ;)

How did South Korea end up with such a nice draw? Only Uruguay and either Ghana or USA stand in their way of another semi final! Good luck to them!

2. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If we advance we can possibly get Paraguay and then Chile/Portugal, that is not too bad of a draw either!

3. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    lets not get ahead of ourselves. Its ALL about Denmark tomoro.

4. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If Denmark win I will never eat a danish for the rest of my life.

Doughnuts ftw

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    And you'll have to quit playing with Legos.

6. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    True, let's just hope Japan make it through!

We'll just have to make do with Mega Bloks then, :( Damn. Come on Japan! Do it for the Lego! :D

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Exactly, and Chong Tese's public action is playing soccer... :rolleyes:

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, the US scored a regular goal against them and overall deserved to go through, I believe.

I hope Japan gets some reward from the soccer gods for Van Persie's handball...

9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    For North Korea.
    By choice.
    And weeping with fervor at the national anthem that praises the murderer responsible for intentionally starving and torturing its people to death.
    Those are his public actions.

10. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    And for Nagatomo being leveled in the box with no PK.
    And Van Bommel not being sent off for a horrific tackle that only missed crippling the target (I think Honda) by sheer dumb luck.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So?

Americans, Chinese, British etc. get moved for their anthems, and their countries could be accused of countless violations of human rights at home and abroad... so what? Are those players all demons?

Should we blame Ramos, Lopez and Santos for singing the anthem of their adoptive country that slaughters whales and destroied half of the forests of Indonesia...? C'mon... ;)

besides, you have no idea why Chong Tese was crying, you have no idea of the feelings he has, you don't know him personally... so of course you can judge him as a public chracter, but you expose yourself to the risk of being superficial.

I really believe there are too many factors, too many things we don't know to judge. He picked North Korea, he surely has his reason... for what we know, he might have been forced into it, or brainwashed, or wanted to be sure to start, or he prefers red to blue... we have no idea, really :cool:

Whatever the reason, he made his choice, he'll live with it. It is only soccer, better leave it there... :)

12. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Who is to say he was weeping because of the words of the national anthem? Personally, I think he was just overcome with emotion because at that moment it dawned on him that he was about to play in the World Cup. He couldn't have dreamt of that when he chose North Korea over South Korea and Japan.

13. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I already saw him cry just because he spoke about his great leader so ... I think it's because the anthem.

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe it reminded him of some relatives in a North Korean gulag...

Really, no meaning in continuing this discussion... :cool:

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can I take back my previous words about Italy? Only France seemed worse than them, I hope they go home quickly (Italy too in business class), and save themselves and my country extra-embarrassment.

(Now they will probably score three in the second half... :p)

edit: - they scored two, and conceded two more, showing that if they wouldn't have played two games and a half like spoiled brats, they would have easily gone through, good job Slovakia, well deserved!

16. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That stupid backpass to the keeper leading to the throw in ended up being the deciding goal against Italy.
    Oh well, better than getting crushed 3-0 by Holland again.

17. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Haven't I told You? Bravo Slovaks! Italy comes back home after group stage! World champions! Always wanted to see that. I hope tonight we'll see such a game. It wasn't beautiful but very thrilling. I wonder how Italians will meet the team on the airport. I hope they won't tear them to shreds.

18. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't blame the players, they are just too old to compete.
    They have been bad for a few years now.
    Nice goal by Quag though. Shame he was offside when it mattered.

Not that Italy deserved anything, but the Slovak time-wasting put Bahrain to shame. I hope Holland put 8 past them.

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Yes ! It feels good.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hmm... a bit childish here...? :rolleyes:

Italy wasn't "destroyed" and was clearly the team with more quality, if they'd have played all three games as they played the last 30 minutes, they would have easily made 7 or 9 points.

Alas, (like the French and the British) they're a bunch of goddamn spoiled brats and it really serves them well.

Italian soccer is in a dark, dark rut. No surprise that the team that won everything this season (Inter) doesn't have a single Italian player in the starting eleven.

21. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    But still, Cassano, Miccoli, Rossi, are better than Iaquinta any day.
    Of course its easy to argue when they lose.

Let's hope Prandelli can find some talent.

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, Italy's was a VERY easy group. Even a B-team should have made it at least until the second spot.

The good thing is for me now that if Japan makes it to the Top-16, my Italian friends that have always made fun of my passion for Japanese soccer would shut the fcuk up for the next four years... ;)

23. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Good point. It should be rather ;) than this question mark. But hey - probably all of the Europe (aside from Italians) is happy now :)
    If they could they would play just like You wrote. But they didn't and finished last in their group and that's what will be memorized. It must be great humiliation for all of the team. And if they played 90 minutes of good football (in each game) they would advance. No question about it. But they wasn't good enough and everyone should be well aware of this fact. It's like writing something like "if Slovakia played better than Argentina they could win the trophy".
    And that's the main reason why they lost as I wrote earlier.
    That's true. New Zealand and Slovakia are really in the group of for weakest teams in this World Cup and it looked like they played good because others were as weak or weaker at the given day.
    Good one. But why for only four years. You could always say 'Remember 2010?' if Japan advances (it will be good if that game won't be as exciting, though).

24. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Honestly, Italy hasn't produced many good players in the last four years. The "youngsters" in this team were Marchisio and Criscito. They're good players, but nothing special for what we've seen so far.

In 2005, Italy soccer was in very good status, but since the "calcio-gate" -notwithstanding a World Cup victory- we're nose-diving. Serie A is a really ugly league to watch, stadiums are ruled by criminals, most club owners are arrogant, incompetent businessmen.

Inter only does well, because it has a president that over the years has invested 1500m Euro in players and has knocked out the competition by any mean necessary.

PS = God bless Japanese soccer...

25. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    You just equated the US to North Korea.
    You just equated human beings to whales and trees.
    I'm just going to leave it here and let your own words condemn you.