[NJR] General World Cup Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Yojimbo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just realized Australia needs to win by 3 goals, just to have a shot at advancing. I don't see it happening.

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Even more now that Serbia can advance. I see Germany and Serbia advancing.

3. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    Anyone watching the BRA v CIV game? Kaka red carded :eek:

4. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Keita has always been a tricky and shameful player. Always.

5. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    but did Kaka deserve it ? or did the Italians, more or less, deserve a penalty today ?

6. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Double NO and add second goal by Fabiano to that. But that looks... I hope he'll be OK after THAT [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8fewzrhF4"]YouTube- Elano Terrible Injury - Brazil 3 Ivory Coast 1[/ame] (how to name it - banditism?)

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The Juve players you see in the NT all had a good season, except for Cannavaro. Camoranesi was often injured.

Lippi can't rely on any other team for a frame, since they all field 60 to 100% foreign players.

I see other problems:
    1 - Too many players out of their natural position (Lippi doing the Okada?)
    2 - Too many players tired after the stressful season in Italy
    3 - ...other teams have improved a lot. NZ played a hell of a game, and you must give it to them.

But Italy still will go through and face Holland in what should be a really good one.

Anyway, Italy has produced no real talent since the last WC. Its soccer is in a rut at every level. The only exception is of course Inter, because it is owned by a millionaire who could afford to pay 16m Euro/year to pay for the coaches salaries only... It costed some 1.500.000.000 Euro to Moratti to build this team over the years--same style as Chelsea, Real Madrid or what Man City will be soon.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That is a dumb penalty to give away for NZ, but it was clearly said before the WC that those fouls will be punished. It is a 2010 thing, and we've seen it in Japan as well. I am surprised so far there has been one only.

9. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    I see other ones (connected with weak level of Italian players)
    1 - Lack of creative player in the midfield. Italy produced many, to name Baggio, del Piero or Totti recently. Now they struggle to create situations other than crossing ball into the penalty box. So basicly - they are getting lost even with NZ (you'll see their real strenght with more offensive side - like Paraguay).
    2 - Lack of real goalscorer (Gilardino - hahaha, Iaquinta - hahaha, whole world is shaking).
    3 - Il Muro di Berlino, or how it crumbled. Now one can see only old Cannavaro (look at his fault when NZ scored). And also that Buffon injury - how are they gonna play against a team which will attack like Netherlands? No one knows that.
    And writing about exhaustive season for Italian 'stars' - I'd rather say they struggle because of weak performances in Europe. But Italy is Italy - some keeper will make a mistake, de Rossi will dive again and they advance who knows how far. But I haven't seen weaker Italian side from 1998 Mundial when I really started watching football.

10. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DPRK looked good......for about 20 minutes then the wheels came off

11. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There goes Asia's decent reputation so far. Haven't they heard of damage control in the North?

12. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So many cheap red cards this tournament.

13. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No they don't, not if Podolski can finish half of his chances...

14. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I shouldn't have to name guys like Miccoli or Cassano that were ignored for stupid reasons. I could understand if there were alternatives in the squad, but there aren't. Italy won last time because they had Totti to lead the world cup in assists, but there isn't anyone to make plays now. Iaquinta tries, but he just isn't such a great player that every attack has to go through him (or Pepe....).
    Still, Italy might do good if they don't fall behind and have to face a wall of defenders. Perhaps its unfair to blame Cannavaro for the goal, but it didn't look good when he got turned inside out at the end and almost let New Zealand take the win.

I hope so. I have a feeling Hamsik is going to score on them though.
    Hopefully Italy can still pull off the win.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Italy will probably finish second in their group and thus meet Holland. There, either something will click, they'll win and become contenders for the title, or else they will return home early.

I know it is funny, but I care way more about Japan... :rolleyes:

16. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    The only thing sweeter than seeing Chong Tese utterly humiliated in front of a billion watching people, including all his so-called "countrymen," would be to see him shot, which is what he deserves as both a traitor to his birth country and to the people of North Korea, whose oppression he upholds with his gaudy devotion to the psychopathic dictator even as he himself lives the life of a wealthy soccer star in a free country.

Hopefully Chong will suffer a career-ending injury in the next match, after scoring an own goal.

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think that among an army of ordinary J.League players Chong is a special guy. I do not judge his personal choices, it is his life. He definitely took an extreme decision, now he is living through it--he seemed rather OK when interviewed after the game.

18. Mr Mug

Mr Mug Member

Nov 21, 2007
    It disappointed me a lot, I want the region to be well-represented. Japan and South Korea advancing are realistic shots and I hope for both, they can improve the image by both going through.

By the way, just wondering. Of course Japan and South Korea are massive rivals. Do you

A) Want them to crash and burn

or

B) Together with Japan, advance, for the good of Asian football, it's development, perceptions elsewhere, etc.

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Crash, burn, explode, and then sink to the ocean depths to be crushed by pressure and have their carcasses eaten by tubeworms.
    I would love to see the South Koreans show solidarilty with their northern brethren and chalk up a 7-nil capitulation.
    Australia can ramp up its red card spree and have too few players to finish the match, forcing a forfeiture.
    Those would be reasonably satisfactory outcomes.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In general, I want Asian teams and all new forces (including the US and NZ) to do well. I like it to be a WORLD Cup, not an Euro-Southamerican Cup.

I would like Korea and other regional teams to do well, also because more competition will help Japan to grow.

With that said, if South Koreans plays like they did vs Greece they will deservedly go through. So, like in Japan's case it is up to them, even when I think they have a slightly easier game and they're in a slightly easier group.

Regarding North Korea: no comment... :cool:

21. Mr Mug

Mr Mug Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I'm from Melbourne and I support the Australian NT but also aside from that I enjoy following and watching Asian teams and players. I find it interesting to see them making strides in this day and age, teams and players are growing and for instance keeping your eyes open on players trying to make it in Europe is compelling. Since Australia has met Japan on a few occasions, a rivalry has attempted to be built up by some; but I don't feel it, personally. I'm into the country so far as culture, societal issues, etc. But anyway. Japanese football is played in the right way [well in this tourny it's been a grind which is understandable, just glad they're solid and working hard together as a team] but mostly you have designs to play it attractive. You have great supporters and players.

It's been a disappointing WC for us but 2006 was our moment, hopefully 2010 can be the time for Japan and SK.

22. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't mind South Korea advancing, as long as Japan finished above them.;)

23. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want all the CONCACAF and Asian teams to do well.....I've heard complaints about Europe not getting enough spots in the World Cup and wanting to shave off slots from the minnows.........Advancing as many teams as possible stops those arguments.

North korea is difficult for me because one of my Omiya guys is on there. I don't know this but I think An Yong Hak made a more pragmatic choice when he signed up for DPRK....he seems more like a mercenary than a true believer. Jong OTOH has drunk the Kool Aid big time.

24. Shinuke

Shinuke Member+

South Korea
    Jul 21, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Dream on :D

25. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If Japan and South Korea go through they will face South American teams -- the best we have seen so far, or Italy and Mexico.

Best of 16, possibly with two victories in the group would be a very satisfactory result for both of them, imo.

But we'll see...