NISA (new third level pro soccer league)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by unitedfc, Jul 7, 2017.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NYT writer referred to PDL as "4th division" (in 2012!). The PDL didn't. I wouldn't exactly call the NYT a really good "soccer source" for knowledge. They probably just was scrounging around for how to write about PDL and often saw the images/words that many use to describe it. Yes, some PDL teams are at fault for it too.

Interestingly enough, NYT writer was Liviu Bird. He was a good soccer writer/blogger. At the time, he played and worked with Kitsap Pumas, who were a "pro" PDL team. They have since moved to fully amateur and into the NPSL. Liviu still works there, now as Head Coach.

No doubt about it that NPSL and PDL clubs do tons of work. But, they shouldn't be disingenuous or misrepresent what they actually are. News people don't help the cause by making reports of "Pro soccer coming to..." reports when they are amateur teams.

If there were a headhunter around (and it does happen), they could really go after numerous teams/players. Every team that calls themselves "professional" or "semi-professional" is riding a VERY fine line with amateurism -- and that could jeopardize some of their own team. I know for a fact, an NPSL team labeled a player "professional" over the last two years. That player went on to play in college the following year. Guess what? That player caused a forfeit of at least 8 games to his college team. Know what else? That NPSL team took down the "professional" label in the press release of the player after it was all done. Said player actually did play pro before NPSL.

Any label of "professional" or "semi-professional" can mean EVERY player on the team loses amateur status. A former player of mine actually got docked 3 years of eligibility for playing in a Mexican soccer league in Houston. Who likes breaking the news to a 21 year old that he has to wait 3 years to play his first-and-only year of college soccer? I'm thankful he chose to stay in college and finish his degree. I'm not sure I would have if it were me. This happens simply because a league has vague wording in their by-laws that puts players in amateur jeopardy.

2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    You bring up very valid points on a subject I've always wanted to discuss at length, which are the onerous requirements that NCAA athletes have to maintain in order to play college sports and keep their scholarships. Which directly affects older (and some younger?) athletes who probably should at the very least get paid a little bit (what we in the arts would call "stipend pay" or an "honorarium.")

NPSL and PDL clubs are forced to not pay any players on the team due to this. Yet most have at least a paid position or two on the staff, some more than that. I don't have a problem with lots of teams in the 4th tier level playing unpaid for "the love of the game" but the amateurism that has been systematically forced upon NPSL and PDL is unfair and poses a problem....

Gotta go to work.

More to come.

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am never coming to the defense of the NCAA. I've been vocal about it for so long. But, the one time I am "fair" to them is this: the NCAA has propped up amateur soccer for 50+ years when none existed. Without NCAA soccer, where would the 18-22 year olds play for the last 50+ years? It hasn't existed in an organized and established manner without them. Quite frankly, without them, I'm not sure much soccer would have existed for so long. The game hasn't been propped up by amateur adult leagues in the Cosmopolitan or the San Francisco Soccer Football League.

No doubt about it, something NEEDS to change with amateur soccer in the US. The NCAA is no different than NFHS. So, for all the complaints that NCAA gets, NFHS is no different. Across the world, 14-17 year olds get opportunities in higher amateur and pro leagues as well. It's "unfair" in that regard then too of what NFHS does.

It's not the responsibility of NCAA to change. It would be great to see that, for sure. But, why would and should they? They aren't in the player development business (we all know that's a lie, and is utilized for it -- especially in football and basketball). In all reality, it is the responsibility of PDL/NPSL to evolve the game (or another organization). If they want to offer "better" amateur opportunities, then do it. No "better" situation exists nor does it seem that it will anytime soon. It's disappointing, for sure. It hinders the growth of the game AND the 14-22 year old player.

Amateur soccer exists all over the world. It's no different here. The biggest problem is the fractured scene that is American soccer. Until the parents, players, and those with the real money (i.e., power) decide to change the system, we'll be hindered by the lackluster USSF.

jaykoz3, HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 is still a lot compared to anywhere in Western Europe, though! There are still fewer spots in Liga MX than there are Mexican cities over 800k population.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going strictly by city limits, there are 13 cities with in Western Europe with a population greater than 1 million - Brussels, Milan, Munich, Barcelona, Hamburg, Vienna, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin and London.

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Definitely not a NISA announcement but I'm curious about whether it may be a 2nd Tulsa NPSL club in the making..... Today at 2pm.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of truth here.

HailtotheKing and ThePonchat repped this.
  8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Fantastic post ... so much there that people either simply don't realize or flat out refuse to admit.

ThePonchat repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news anyone?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think people have been sitting on news and not posting it here, just waiting for someone to ask?

It usually takes a few minutes, maybe an hour, for someone to recognize a news story or a tweet containing news and post it here.

If there were news, it would be obvious by now.

ThePonchat repped this.
  11. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL-3 has announced 2 teams. NISA as far as I know, hasn't announced any.
    So if USL-3 takes off and NISA doesn't, could they turn around and "blame" USSF-USL- whoever, the way the NASL tried to?

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There'll always be finger pointing and the blame game. Funny, because they're all crying for transparency and accountability but the last thing they'll do is hold themselves accountable and be truthful of their own shortcomings.

canammj repped this.
  13. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I think there will be more anger aimed at whatever the guy behind Jacksonville is doing with his "division zero" nonsense,

14. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    NISA has 3 teams announced.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What three would those be? I've seen reports that teams have applied but I haven't seen announcements from NISA about any confirmed teams.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ah, OK. I found this on the NISA site.

Not much of an announcement but I guess you can say that NISA has three teams at this point.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You COULD say that.

But if you are going to launch in a year, perhaps you should actually announce them soon.

But, hey, then there’s Rubber City FC!

www.rubbercityfc.com

Domain registered two weeks ago. No investors. No stadium. No contracts. No staff. But, hey, a 30-year-old former musician and a master’s student are behind it. Totally gonna happen, you guys!

ThePonchat repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are "identifying investors" which, hey, that's almost as good as having them, I guess.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just lacking what might be called quality in the final third.

Roger Allaway and ThePonchat repped this.
  20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF the ol' Rubber City gets rolling, I cannot wait for the jeering, chants, signs, tifos, etc. from opposing fans. I have a guess on which route they'll take...

chungachanga and Chesco United repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tweeted that they'll have an announcement about a stadium. Their other tweets are about corrupt USSF and prorel4usa.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think my hunch is getting to be more true.

Rubber City is no longer pursuing NISA. They have dropped out of the NPSL expansion. Seems they bit off more than they can chew.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    His angle is all about "modular stadiums."
    All else is smoke and mirrors. (some interesting ideas though.)

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed and Nacional Tijuana repped this.