NISA (new third level pro soccer league)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by unitedfc, Jul 7, 2017.

1. unitedfc

unitedfc Member

May 31, 2016
    Which teams should join NISA for the 2018 season? The best options are probably:

Albuquerque
    Baltimore
    Birmingham
    Charlotte
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    El Paso
    Honolulu
    Las Vegas
    Little Rock
    Memphis
    Milwaukee
    New Orleans
    Virginia Beach

2. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Start with Detroit and Chattanooga, then remove all the teams east of The Mississippi and sout of Tennessee, and you have a start.
    1. Detroit City FC
    2. Chattanooga FC
    3. AFC Cleveland
    4. FC Buffalo
    5. Boston City FC
    6. Hartford City FC
    7. Asheville City SC
    8. Grand Rapids FC

3. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is there any information about this? I've read vague things on twitter but is there a starter guide to it somewhere?

4. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    The nisa twitter and the peter wilt twitter. Also the nisa interview on midfield press

5. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    #5 Cirris, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Forget about Buffalo FC. They have no funding to jump to pro. They seem happy with what they are, a "junior age" amateurs filled with College players and high level beer leaguers. Much like what USHL is for hockey in the US. Buffalo FC is largely run as a break even project by a sports columnist Nick Mendola. He writes for NBC sports blogs for soccer stories.

Buffalo FC doesn't even bother with doing the US Open Cup Tournament. They're that strapped for cash.

kenntomasch repped this.
  6. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Cleveland would be a steal of a market for a 3rd tier league. From everything I've read, this is potentially a really cool league with loads of potential for growth. Peter Wilt and co. have thought this out well. I'm all in. Hoping Northeast Ohio is a part of it!

7. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    That's the case for the rest of it, then sure no buffalo. But they simply didn't qualify for the open cup last year. Not an issue of deciding to play or not.

8. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As is the case with most things associated with Wilt and the NASL, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sorry if this whole thing just doesn't smell right to me. As the same time the USL, which has proven to be a stable and well-funded league, is starting its own affiliated D3. If this gets off the ground, good for NISA, but I'm not banking on it being successful.

9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very interesting !!!

10. pieper1850

pieper1850 Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Attached Files:

11. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I can buy, I guess sonny d from tulsa was there too, so we have Detroit, Chattanooga, and Tulsa as defiantly probablys.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a big step from the amateur ranks to the pro ranks.

It seems as though they have been able to get interested parties (as has USL's proposed third division, which will be second to market). I am skeptical they can meet the ambitious goal of being "built out" at 24 teams within three years as PW has mentioned, because no one has ever done that.

Bears watching, obviously. Though it makes me chuckle a bit that many of the people who denigrate teams for moving up a division via any other way than winning their league support clubs mentioned above who, you know, haven't actually won their league and would be moving up by circumventing that.

And, as with any other prospective league, people make a list of cities they've heard of and feel through some vague metrics would be "great markets" for a particular level, and then we go to how many times each team will play each other and so on....

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  13. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Cue Debbie Downer music [emoji445]

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The easiest way to create a viable third division would be for NCAA teams to turn pro, no? :cool:

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. In 2015, only 32 NCAA men's soccer teams averaged over 1,000 per game (31 in D1, 1 in D3) and only 10 averaged over 2,000 per game. The attendance leader, for the 9th consecutive year, was UC Santa Barbara with 3,844.

Also, if any college teams were to leave the NCAA structure, they would most likely go into the PDL or NPSL like BYU did. (Of course, no one since BYU has done it.)

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, would love to see this. Not necessarily "NCAA" teams, but college in general move into the amateur leagues where the schedule has a drastic change.

I've seen numerous college budgets, there's plenty that can handle this change. It could even be more beneficial with more regional league structure. Won't happen, but it'd be great to see the college game get blown up a bit.

Matthew Johnson and falvo repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes why not? BYU already plays or played in the PDL bypassing the NCAA I believe. A lot of college players are already playing in the NPSL and PDL in the offseason so I don't see a huge difference. They can still maintain their amateur status and play in both leagues.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    College players can maintain their amateur status as long as they play with other amateur players. They can play against pro teams but not on teams that have pro players.

NCAA teams cannot turn pro and stay NCAA teams. BYU's PDL team is an amateur team, there are no professional players on their team.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not so sure about that. Unless rules were changed, I remember a time where college players were playing with and against professionals and signed a waiver to maintain their amateur status. As long as they weren't paid, no one said a word. Of course that was a long time but I don't know if the rules have changed much.

Also college player can play in U23 international tournaments with and against players who earn millions of dollars so if they can do that, I don't see why they can't do the same in club ball. Even if they can't, I'm sure the rule can be changed sooner or later.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College players are not permitted to play WITH (same team) paid [pro] players. College players can play AGAINST (opposing teams) paid players. For sure. That's the rules. College players can get national team waivers to permit them representing the US at a variety of international competitions.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #21 falvo, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Maybe it changed but they used to be able to. My cousins and friends played for the Earthquakes & SF Bay Blackhawks while in college during the WSA/WSL/APSL years. Of course that was maybe 25-30 years ago and there was no MLS but no one objected or cared. Many during that time played for both club and country in many WCQ matches while in college from what I recall. Recently fired Quakes GM John Doyle comes to mind but many others as well.

22. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With NASL losing its Div. 2 sanctioning, and some of its teams running to the USL or collapsing, do i have any wagers on NISA changing its name to NASL? I'm thinking it's a lead pipe lock guarantee!

(Legal notice: this is not a guarantee. Past performance is no indication of future results. This offer is only legal in the Cayman Islands. Your mileage may vary.)

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL had D2 sanction rejected initially. It's not final, nor does it guarantee they drop to D3.

They would still have to meet D3 guidelines. That said, USL will be undergoing their D2 sanctioning decision as well. There are way more teams on waivers in USL than there were in NASL. Good thing going for USL is they at least have the required amount of teams for any division they'd like to be in.

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USLs waivers are the MLS2 team don't play in big enough stadiums. They can either just move the team into the home stadium or move them out of the major league market and into a minor one that will support it better.

NASL only has 5 real teams; Miami, Edmonton, Indy, NC and the Cosmos. They shouldn't be D2. Honestly I feel like Edmonton saved this league last year solely to have somewhere to play until the CPL started. Knowing that D2 wasn't going to last and he could get out without paying the exit fee or just leaving causing others like NC and Indy who almost left before to also leave and let the league collapse and not having to pay the exit fee.

25. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's the big difference between the leagues. The NASL can't come up with 12 teams that meet the standards. Last round, the USL had something like 20 teams that meet the standards and another 10 that had problems with stadium/field size or coaching licenses. Some of those teams will fix those problems and those that don't have a direct path to USL_D3