NISA (New NASL-allied D3 league) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by oneeyedfool, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seemed like a decent attendance. We can't see what's behind the camera. It was fireworks night, which would probably account for the increased attendance. I noticed the safe standing area was almost empty, which is an issue.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    There's nothing behind the camera. That area isn't open to the public. What you see is what you get.

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Dismiss it all you want. But ultimately what matters is who actually shows up to the games and pays for tickets, parking, and concessions. Fictional attendance numbers don't balance the books and sponsors see how many people they're actually reaching.

5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    There are only - at most - 4 sections (and one of them is that little triangular one in the corner) that are more than half full, and a majority of sections are practically empty.

6. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same song and dance. You argue about attendance likes it's the Hunger Games, it's hopeless to continue this tit-for-tat debate.

7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Are lower division leagues not heavily (majority?) dependent on gate revenue? You argue about attendance as if the fact that there are more empty sections than populated as if that has no tangible effect on the longevity of a team.

The reality is that "tickets distributed" is front office propaganda. If we're worried about the sustainability of lower division soccer teams, and I think we should be, we should be honest about the fact that the validity of reported numbers vary wildly from team to team depending on what their agendas are. And it's naive to think that there is some common margin of error or that these numbers aren't completely backed by some narrative that the team is trying to sell.

8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be an easy answer. TV cameras are usually positioned on the side that isn't shooting into the sun, which is where fans (if able) will also sit so they're not looking into the sun and in the shade. It makes for a better game as a fan but isn't doesn't make for good television.

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    There is nothing on that side except the camera stand:
    [​IMG]

10. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets distributed isn't goddamn propaganda you make it to be. Tickets distributed IS THE DEFAULT STANDARD practice for MOST PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEAGUES. Even in European soccer where, apparently what NISA wants to cosplay as, practice this. If the Orange County SC stadium announcer announces attendance number of 3,459, it's 3,459 of tickets distributed.

Remove that chip on your shoulder, it's causing a scene.

11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep and looks like sitting in the sun isn't an issue at a night game, hence I caveated with "it could." ;-) I just noticed this over the summer at Loudoun United and Richmond Kickers games. The shady side had the preponderance of the fans.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    This totally misses the point and you know it. It's absolutely marketing and propaganda, though. It's no less propaganda than an "advertorial" on the local media. It's amazingly naive if you think otherwise. Do you not think Trump's claims of his inaugural numbers or the Tulsa rally weren't propaganda? It's the same tactic, intended to achieve the same goals: raise awareness by creating the sense that lots of people are engaged with this thing so maybe you should be too.

The problem isn't that clubs inflate their importance for material gain, the problem is that anyone uses these figures to objectively compare the relative popularity or local engagement of one to another, when there is absolutely zero standardization as to what it actually means. When the numbers don't mean the same thing, there is nothing to actually base anything on.

Tickets scanned are vital for gate receipt leagues because you aren't making your money through other avenues. You can even make the argument of "tickets sold" being a fair metric, since the club has generated some revenue regardless of whether or not the ticket holder actually showed up at the front door.

13. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well fun fact, these are professional soccer leagues. They are all about marketing and exposure for sponsors and media.

Anyway, IT'S NOT propaganda if MOST PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEAGUES practice it, and have been practicing it for awhile now.

Strawman alert.

Tickets distributed is ticket distributed, most professional sports leagues do not measure butts in seats as that is difficult to track/measure than as tickets distributed.

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Of course it is, which is exactly my point. It should not be used for any credible analysis of any actual support for a club because it's in the team's best interest to inflate the numbers.
    Ubiquity doesn't make it truth. It's intentionally giving a misleading public message to boost their local credibility. That is the definition of propaganda. My point isn't that "tickets distributed" is some sort of evil that needs to be eradicated, my point is that it's a terrible metric for making any statements on actual or relative popularity or viability of a sports team.
    Because it doesn't conform to your narrative? Please. The Tulsa rally actually frames the situation perfectly, albeit the order was reversed. The campaign repeatedly crowed about the tickets distributed number and got high on their own supply. It was the reason it was exposed as such a farce when the cameras showed the actual "butts in seats".

You act as if this is some golden rule formula, as if Arsenal or the Steelers or even Sacramento Republic are also inflating their turnstile numbers by 100%. And that's the problem with using "tickets distributed" for anything comparative. There is no "tickets distributed is tickets distributed" because there's no common formula for what is single day tickets, what is season ticket holders, what is comps, etc. What actually matters - bottom line - is the actual return on that distribution because that is how a team stays financially viable. It makes sense to give away lots of tickets if you're trying to establish yourself in a community, especially when your cheapest tickets are 50% more expensive than the local competition, but saying you distributed 75% of your capacity and it's clear that your stadium is maybe 25% full, that's really different than saying your attendance was 7,500 when actually 6,000 showed up.
    It's a number completely based on what the front office wants their sponsors and potential customers to think is a number that has meaning.

15. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, tit-for-tat arguments that are unproductive and a complete waste of time.

Enjoy your sub-par ~2,000 spectators at Chattanooga FC home matches.

16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    (Twice the “decent attendance” of CRW, despite pouring rain, so yes, I will)

17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Spent much time in Chattanooga, have you?

19. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1594 Doogh, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Who does? Probably 95% of Americans can't even spot it in a map of the United States.

(Although I did spent a day in Nashville for a layover flight)

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the state that looks like it's the Carolinas' panhandle.

I think Chattanooga is in the south. Do I win?

21. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just say it's somewhere in the Bible Belt, lol. Think that's how most people would describe it.

22. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    So maybe just admit you really don’t know jack shit about the soccer scene here.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want me to swear on the bible or whatever?

(I don't have to get to know the soccer scenes down there to get a glimpse on what the attendance data looks like since it's provided by clubs/leagues)

24. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    You have got to be kidding me

25. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the person overtly concerned about butts in seats and tickets distributed, even though the former isn't practiced and paints an inaccurate measuring of spectators attending a match.