NISA (New NASL-allied D3 league) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by oneeyedfool, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea it’s just a really bad look. And like you said could have easily been avoided. Still don’t know how they can be declared the winner after only playing 65 mins. Absurd.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer rules state:

3) If inclement weather causes a delay and the first half of the game has been completed, the game will be considered FINAL.

Can darkness be considered inclement weather?

(MLS doesn't follow those rules and states that an abandoned match must be finished).

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NISA gonna NISA. I mean the Roots were a NISA import so...

4. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought joining a league without expansion fees, a team could reinvest that money to infrastructure. Sounds like floodlights are a basic necessity no?

Humph.

5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    They were playing at some religious college stadium for this game.

Not entirely sure why they’ve chosen this nomadic life over their usual stadium at Rio Hondo College, and I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt trying to arrange stadiums in California in a pandemic, but they honestly need to do better than TBA in the fall.

athletics68 repped this.
  6. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arranged in a way that for a weak league office admitting weaker teams not knowing sunset times when they schedule games? And that they probably knew LA were switching grounds, one that did not have running lights available, yet greenlit the game anyway?

7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    A public post-mortem on this season sometime before the fall kicks off would go a long way, but I’m not holding my breath for that.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the thing about an expansion fee is that it funds the league. So although the team paying it may be worse off, the rest of the league will benefit.

In the case of MLS the existing teams benefit. In the case of USL NuRock takes a cut.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if course the Fall is next season. Long live the mythical FIFA calendar!

10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I don't know what this means, but they've already announced the fall season schedule.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means their season goes from August to May, or July to June, whatever.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Sorry - I was thrown off by the typo, I understand what you mean now.

I kind of wish they'd just throw away the whole notion of the fall and spring being 2 parts of a whole and just let each season (fall/spring) stand alone. It would make dealing with expansion or attrition much less awkward.

13. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    lol chattanooga.

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Detroit City wins the 20/21 Championship:

1:0 on an own goal by LA Force:

Attendance: 7,231

15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion Franchise repped this.
  16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Because NISA is apparently allergic to consistency, they will be switching to a spring/fall schedule in 2022 and the fall will be a standalone season.

Logistically this makes sense, given the player pool (the international calendar is basically irrelevant for a D3 league and you don’t want players having to basically lock themselves into fall/spring, because it limits their mobility to other leagues.

I’m glad they’re correcting their mistakes, but I wish we could get through a year without completely changing everything.

17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    What’s the alternative?

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really wish they’d decided on a format and stick to it. If they’re going to start in spring why not just have one season playing through to fall and the top 4 qualify for the playoffs?

20. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Oh wait this Fall season will be standalone. I understand the confusion now.

21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I haven’t listened to the podcast yet where this is explained, but my guess is that this decision was made at the league meeting that happened last week around the championship game due to feedback from the clubs.

I imagine that this is hitting Chicago especially hard, having to assemble a squad of pro-talent players effectively in the middle of the year. Stumptown and 1904 at least were working with the same candidate pool as USL. But it’s a problem across the board and I would bet that after trying it for a year, the clubs were not thrilled with the reality of it.

22. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think the change of calendars is a better fit for sponsorships.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember NISA commissioner initially saying they wanted to align to a Fall to Spring calendar for some inconsequential Eurosnob reasons, I think it was for "international transfer window" - which is utter nonsense since every country/continent has different transfer window dates, and it's not like Europe (not a monolith) is head over heels for American third division soccer in hopes of buying NISA players there, LOL.

Now, the reason of going back to a Spring to Fall calendar, is because of venue availability - figures when most teams are renting high school/college stadiums with no alcohol zones.

24. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mentioned in the podcast is five new expansion teams not announced already.

Rumors of those five are:
    • Atlanta, headed by the former NASL Atlanta Silverbacks group along with a "new" stadium - I'm sure that's going to end well - and no, it's unrelated to the other Atlanta team that folded in 2019.
    • Miami - like there's demand for another professional team there
    • Phoenix - some existing team in UPSL; good luck competing with Phoenix Rising I guess
    • Unknown
    • Unknown

25. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Phoenix is almost certainly FC Arizona who announced they’re moving into some sports park in Mesa next year. They had friendlies with some of the California teams and are participating in the Independent Cup. They have NPSL, UPSL, and WPSL teams.

If there is a criticism of Rising, it’s that their new stadium location is inconvenient for parts of the metro. I know nothing about Phoenix, but maybe Mesa would appeal to a different part of the population.