NISA (New NASL-allied D3 league) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by oneeyedfool, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know FC Malaga City existed until I heard local match commentary on my car radio last night.

They're associated with the Malaga residential academy team, owned by the the La Liga club that have chosen to play in USL League Two.

If they called themselves "Poughkeepsie" there would be a great opportunity to start a rivalry with Kingston Stockade, even though they're in different leagues.

2. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    As far as I know, they're just an amateur club. Or - rather - they may have a p2p academy (no idea), but this player was just a member of the amateur club roster.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this kid has been around:

A team called Juventus
    Trained with Flamenco academy
    Trialed with Tigres UANL but turned down a contract
    Chicago Magic
    Wisconsin Red Star
    Prep4Pro
    Turned down a Gibraltan team
    Purdue Fort Wayne (NCAA)
    Steel City (which his Dad owns)
    Chicago House

6. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this isn't a solidarity payment, merely just a regular transfer fee. Solidarity payments occur when a professional player is transferred from a club in one FIFA member federation to a club in another federation during the course of their contract, up to five percent of the transfer fee is to be withheld and paid by the club receiving the player to the club or clubs involved in that player’s training from ages 12-23.

Steel City FC, an amateur side in the United States neither has an academy program, so they didn't develop this player, and this player did not transfer from one club in a FIFA member federation to another, since both teams are under US Soccer Federation.

Paul Berry repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If the player signed was previously an amateur how can it be a transfer fee?

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    "Well, actually", you're wrong.
    https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...2018-2925437.pdf?cloudid=c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g
    Training compensation is due when:
    i. a player is registered for the first time as a professional;
    or
    ii. a professional is transferred between clubs of two different associations (whether during or at the end of his contract)

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I like how you think that you know more about pro soccer than Peter Wilt, though.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's right, in fact you both are and you're both wrong.

Under the FIFA scheme Steel City are owed Training Compensation, not a Solidarity Payment, although Peter Wilt can call it what he wants.

"Training compensation will be payable when a player signs his first professional contract with a club that is different from the club(s) that contributed to his training;
    By contrast, solidarity payments will only be payable upon the international transfer of a playerwho is already a professional;"

"solidarity payments will only be payable if a player is transferred for a fee, between clubs belonging to different national associations, prior to the expiry of his employment contract"

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/i...pensation-and-solidarity-payments-in-football

Expansion Franchise and song219 repped this.
  11. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmphmm, good point.

Wouldn't the right term be training comp then? That's not what the press release said, so I guess it was a misunderstanding, or that solidarity payment in the title would sell more coverage and misinformation.

An example of solidarity payment is FC Dallas received a solidarity payment in due to Weston McKennie transferred from different FIFA member federations Germany (Schalke) to Italy (Juventus) and that FC Dallas trained him under their academy system.

Sources: FC Dallas to receive solidarity payment from Weston McKennie transfer to Juventus | Tom Bogert | MLSSoccer.com

Although, @Paul Berry provided the teams he previously trained/developed before spending a year on an amateur team. If I was Chicago Magic or Wisconsin Red Star, I would be livid as to why an amateur team owned by his father would receive training compensation from a professional team. Depends if Magic or Red Star are pay-to-play, but still worth a discussion.

Feel like you're just projecting here, don't you have a NISA game to catch or whatever?

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Edmonton Strikers received solidarity payments when Alphonso Davies joined Bayern.

13. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Canadian laws defer from American laws? TC/SP payments can be legally ambiguous under American labor laws due to possible restraint of trade and child labor.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you have 14 year-olds signing professional MLS contracts I believe that was just an excuse.

The real controversy is whether pay to play academies should be compensated as the payments were devised to cover the cost of training.

15. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    how much 'development' do you suppose that player did with steel city fc when....steel city fc didn't actually play any games in 2020? their league canceled its schedule in late march.

feels like another attempt by the nisa to play to the 'authentic' base.

16. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, like the Yedlin case. But unlike Crossfire's ruling, which is a pay-to-play youth club, Steel City is an amateur side. I find it suspect that Chicago compensated an amateur club that supposedly this player played in 2020 even though the season was cancelled due to the pandemic. How did they exactly "train" him?

Midwest Premier League cancels 2020 soccer season

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Yes, you are technically correct (the best kind of correct). There isn’t much functional difference between the two, though, which I figure is why they get conflated. The distinction is a grand total of about 4 paragraphs in a 40 page set of rules about them collectively.

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Funny story about that…

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notts County played for two seasons before meeting an actual opponent.

Ok, it was 160 years ago but still.

20. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...have fun with that!

athletics68 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think USL used to be given shit by USSF for their "substandard" fields. And you know they're not the only one playing in far below standard facilities like this...

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't think they're investing the $10 million expansion fee they didn't have to pay on the stadium?

24. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, instead of paying a $5 million expansion fee, less ambitious teams like Los Angeles Force already allocated that money to build a suitable place to play, like with using tents as locker rooms or no streaming options!

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean hell I might just launch my own NISA team if all I need is a public park and some tents. I've got 3 tents in the garage right now and park rental fees aren't bad, I looked into them last month for my kid's birthday party.

Doogh and Paul Berry repped this.