NISA (New NASL-allied D3 league) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by oneeyedfool, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NP

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At least they have deep pockets :rolleyes:

http://mindequalsblown.net/author/joshua-austin

And the VP's a security guard so at least they can save on that expense.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyler-novak-54958a40/

All it takes is wanting it.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    canammj repped this.
  8. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Stephen York, NISA is planning on all clubs adhering to the PLS for D2 & D3.

9. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------
    Could not agree more ! We need to clean up all these ideas of multiple teams in the same division levels.
    We should be working towards plenty of teams within each level. My quick clean up would be=

NASL = Dead (Finally)

NISA = USSF HAVE A BACKBONE AND DON'T APPROVE THEIR APPLICATION. (please) We don't need another league, we need stability at this point and time. Any city who was thinking of being NISA could surely land in USL2 or USL3 depending on their level of investment.

NPSL= If you believe they have more flexible player rules than PDL, this league should fit between the upcoming USL3 and PDL. Otherwise my fantasy is to merge with PDL, create a huge league with regional divisions that would cover the whole county and keep travel reasonable/local. Some of these teams, if they have bigger plans could jump to USL3.

Sactown Soccer, 2in10 and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  10. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Having a team that is announced as a hopeful franchise and their VP/Head Scout is still in college and a security guard is not exactly the best way forward, and would be wildly out of place in a real D2 league. But then I suppose that NISA doesn't have much control over who is "planning on competing" in the league.

11. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Stephen York, you realize this isn't a NISA announcement right? The announcement is from a club that is forming and contacting NISA about their requirements. Do you think they will be accepted in their present form? Or do you think you might want to wait to see what they look like IF they are accepted?
    PS: big emphasis on IF.

12. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I sure do realize that, hence my last sentence: "But then I suppose that NISA doesn't have much control over who is "planning on competing" in the league."

13. bselig

bselig Member

Nov 5, 2005
    @nisaofficial is tweeting and retweeting everything positive they can find about this exciting new Akron club proposal. Don't be so innocent.

Go back to page 1 and read the "EXCLUSIVE" article on the NISA from June. It's impressive in its credulity.

I think what did it in was Peter Wilt counting on NASL owners to agree to a pyramidal structure supervised by one Peter Wilt who would collect vigorish for services rendered and everyone would be happy and financially secure, with the NASL owners at the top. He did not count on Rocco and Silva asking themselves who the hell is Peter Wilt and why should he we be paying HIM anything? Since they were the only NASL owners with any power, Wilt's plan was sunk.

Thus NASL is dead and NISA is entertaining offers from security guards and sports marketers who have a dream but can only afford a no-money-down soccer club.

14. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Unanimously, each conversation has heaped praise on the integrity of NISA co-founder Peter Wilt, but raised concerns about the other partners involved in the NISA project...."

"...Soc Takes understands that Robert Palmer, who was in attendance at the meeting, along with Riccardo Silva..."

16. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the meeting today it seems like NISA and Division Zero are dead in the water. Not much support for them. Looks like the popular idea is to work under USASA. So my guess is NPSL, UPSL, & ASL will all merge or have some sort of working relationship.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    HailtotheKing and athletics68 repped this.
  18. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is looking like the soccer equivalent of the modern-day ABA.

19. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte is backing away too.

athletics68 repped this.
  20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So much for all that I guess. Seems like there were two possible paths: the NISA or an elite tier for the NPSL and there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for either when it actually comes down to money.

Here's where I disagree with Chattanooga and Beau

Chattanooga:
    https://rantingsoccerdad.com/2018/0...nooga-whats-the-next-step-for-u-s-pro-soccer/
    They've managed to identify the problem: the clubs are "a success in spite of their leagues, not because of it". Which suggests that what needs to be fixed are the leagues. But to fix the leagues, there needs to be a set of owners who will put the league ahead of the clubs. Instead, we have owners who won't participate in a league unless it 100% matches their interests and so will miss out on a league that would give them 80% of what they want.

As for an elite tier for the amateur teams, I think Stockton shows why it's kind of silly. Here's the financials.

https://medium.com/stockadefc/stock...cess-from-our-clubs-2nd-season-in-45e2935dd31

I liked this quote:

5k or 10k wouldn't fund any of that stuff. This is all just imaginary.

HailtotheKing, Beau Dure and athletics68 repped this.
  21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First the rats abandoned NASL, now they’re abandoning NISA... 2018 is shaping up to be a great year

22. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Actually athletics68, nothing is certain, which is why I like the article at roguesoccer.wordpress.com which lays out the possibilities of several leagues. There may be divisional divide between the leagues, which is fine, what is happening here is a reformation of D2/3 and possibly the creation of a D4 both within USSF [NISA] and USASA [and some of these leagues will probably take longer to start].

And please, do not take any of these as long term stable solutions to lower division soccer. If nothing else over the last 25 years instability is the norm as leagues form, reform, and merge regularly. 2019 is going to be a significant year as these clubs figure out where to play and what they want from the league they join. The summit in Chattanooga is the first of a few steps in sorting this out. It isn't dull.

23. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Chattanooga FC stepped away from its commitment to participate in NISA, it sparked doubts about the league’s ability to realize its vision.

“We asked specific questions about teams and plans for the league moving forward. The answers we received did not give us any faith that this league could generate enough interest or competition to make it financially viable for any team, let alone a team with limited funding like ours,” said Austin.

athletics68 and 2in10 repped this.
  25. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a ringing endorsement at all. Hopefully NPSL will give these two clubs the stability they need to succeed.