Niko Kranjcar

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Honore de Ballsac, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/former-spurs-midfielder-niko-kranjcar-trains-with-cosmos-44426/

This guy is training with the Cosmos?!? What a beautiful player. Unless he suffered a big injury or something, we should SWOOP!

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm still pissed that the Sounders got Marco Pappa when they were stacked, and Toronto's going to be starting Beitashur and Morrow along with more big name players than they know how to use. We'll be trying to figure how to start some Stanford kid who's not Jordan Morris.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was great with Spurs but I haven't seen him play in years. How old is he now?

3. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As all you Croatian soccer fans know, he is 31 and scored 2 goals in 22 appearances last season for QPR.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still remember when Spurs were here for the friendly and an older Croatian fan sitting near me goes running down to the railing like a little kid, yelling "Niko, Niko!" when the Tottenham players were walking over to the bench.

5. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Harry Redknapp is a big fan. He'd add quality to our team.

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and quantity!

So what you're saying is that we can no longer say, to any good effect, "Wish I had a niko for every goal he's scored".

DotMPP and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    : D

Gotta remember to think like the Quakes. Think like the Quakes.

8. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a Spurs fan, i must say he had some moments of great football, but that is all in the past.
    as a Quakes fan i say pass.

9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I went to Loftus Road and saw him have some great moments a little over one year ago. I would love to see us get him because there's no way we'll drastically over pay for him, or anybody. And he can, like, do things with his brain and his feet and the whachamacallit. The little white thing the other team likes to roll around to each other.

10. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree...Redknapp to manage the Quakes!

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds perfect for a Quakes DP deal where's that targeted allocation money? Doyle?

12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes are using some TAM to offset Godoy's salary to keep him out of DP range. Likewise, more of the TAM (added for this season) will offset the salary of the lowest paid current four DP (Wondo, MPG, Innocent, Dawkins) because MLS only allows three DP's per team.

What we have is what we get, at least at the top of the wage scale.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a joke...

14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the thing with players like kranjcar is you have to build the midfield around them because they can't do much running or defense. galaxy got away with it with beckham but nycfc got burned with pirlo/lampard. we already have mpg who isn't super mobile and doesn't cover a ton of ground so I'd be concerned about adding kranjcar to that equation. when mpg was in the middle last season it totally screwed up our system and forced us to play wondo in midfield to make up for mpg's lack of cover.

I feel like we are fairly set in the midfield now. I am super concerned about our back line. I'd rather save that money and get a real left back or if muma/goodson go down with an injury then a starting caliber cb in the summer like jonathan spector.

QuietType repped this.
  15. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    I remember Niko winning the FA Cup with Pompey. I think thats the last time he won any silverware with an english club. I enjoyed that final so much, I picked him as MOTM and bought his jersey. Then he ended up playing for the TH's team that played the SJE friendly and he signed my shirt. I bet we'll see him suit up for NY Cosmos vs SJE this coming match on the 27th at Avaya.

16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have actually too many unless Cato is seen as primarily a defender given it appears Dom will want to set up mostly 4-4-2.

17. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned in Cato's thread, Dom actually said exactly that in a preseason interview...Cato moving to RB.

QuietType repped this.
  18. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joke was past its play date. People that we brought in recently have mostly worked out well. This is why Soc thought you were serious, I don't think he was ready for another negative nancy sneak attack LOL