Niko Hamalainen and Giles Phillips sent on loan to the New England Revolution

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by DylanPresman, Feb 1, 2019.

1. DylanPresman

DylanPresman Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Rockville, Maryland
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So QPR youngsters, Niko Hamalainen and Giles Phillips, have been sent on loan to the New England Revolution. DC United will play the New England revolution on May 25.

Anyone want to join me for the game?

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hamalainen signed a new contract at QPR (didn't go to New England) a few weeks ago and today got word he'll be going to LAFC instead.

LAFC come to DC on April 6th

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamalainen made his LAFC debut (in the 81st minute) and was credited with an assist on LAFC's game-winning goal last weekend (he has the ball at the start of the video).

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  4. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commentators noted that LAFC was down some players due to the international break. I'm not sure if that was a direct cause of Hamalainen getting his debut. It'll be interesting to see if he earns some playing time going forward.

5. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually kind of surprised he wasn't in the Finland squad, he made his debut recently. I'd imagine he'll get more time as the MLS season keeps grinding. Not sure you go out of your way to bring a guy from England on loan and not have any plans for him.

Atouk repped this.
  6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see. The loan is just until July. Nothing about an option to buy was mentioned, though they could always offer. He could add cover through the Gold Cup at least.

He is Finnish-American and grew up in the US, so Bradley may have a variety of means of knowing about him. His status means he won't count as a foreign player.

Here's an article from the preseason: https://www.angelsonparade.com/2019...ainen-joins-lafc-camp-qpr-queens-park-rangers

7. Alex Blanton

Alex Blanton Member

Queens Park Rangers
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    It also may have helped his chances of a loan there that Ruben Gnanalingam is also an owner and a director for LAFC. I still hope he gets lots of playing time though and that his loan was not a direct result of Ruben.

QPR Kevin H repped this.