Nike puts Umbro up for sale

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by JJ Mindset, Jun 14, 2012.

1. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I wonder why they didn't close the Umbro brand out, and make the teams that use Umbro be Nike teams?

Because if they are selling - the brand (Umbro) must not be doing well.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. GetYourKitOn.net

GetYourKitOn.net New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bohemians Dublin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is potentially a massive chance for Umbro to push on and take on the bigger brands. They have nice gear but it's still way behind Nike, Adidas and even Puma. I like Umbro though, they're certainly better than a lot of other mid table brands in my opinion.

Nike were probably happy to sell the brand, after they took over all the big clubs from Umbro... they done it with Man Utd, Man City and Celtic.

4. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  5. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  6. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'm surprised it sold so high ($225m), it's considered to be a bargain basement brand in the UK. It's saving grace was the sports manufacturer deals but peope would sooner have kits by Nike or Adidas. The likes of Umbro and Slazenger are relics.

7. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Not only that - but, Nike took England and Manchester City with them.

8. VisUnitaFortior

VisUnitaFortior New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Umbro have been making some excellent shirts in recent years but it's true that as a brand it really doesn't compare to some of the big global players. It will be interesting to see how it develops under new owners but having lost some of it's most important clients (England and Manchester City).

9. brendo

brendo Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Not like they broke