Nike Friendlies

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Karl K, Dec 2, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  2. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Interesting first 11. Nakazawa in there along with Besagno as holding midfielders, and Arvizu, who seems to have been effective when paired with Zimmerman, playing up top. No Rich Edgar is interesting to me (is he injured) and the back line, with Blake Wagner, seems to be going through a metamorphosis of sorts as well. I'm also interested to hear how they lined up--did Kirk play with Zimmerman up top, with Arvizu withdrawn, or was Kirk on the wing again with Arvizu and Zimmerman as strikers? Good also to see Ryan Soroka getting a goal.

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Edgar played in the other u17 team against Houston Texans. You can get the lineups from both games using the link i provided in the above post

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I am not there -- yes, how I wish I were!! -- but I was told by a knowledgable observer that Ryan Soroka had a heckuva game overall.

5. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I saw this team a few months ago and both Wagner and Borja were midfielders. I think it's an interesting process to see midfielders moving back to defense and defenders to the bench. It looks like Arvizu has forced the coach to play him meaning one of the midfielders had to make way. Also I think Besagno played D for the u-20's.

I got the impression that Kirk was up top from the article but don't know for sure.

Sure sounds like Sarkodie's having a good run, hope he turns out to be for real, we need some good outside backs.

6. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    Can someone tell me who the prime prospects are from this team?Are there any Gavens or Szetelas?

I know about Zimmerman. He looks to be a player along with Ofori. But who else can make an impact?

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Sarkodie has been moved into the middle of the defense.

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Crap, oh well he's still good.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It is actually a good move.

Lichaj is in right back right now. Lichaj is a very good player who has Spector-like potential. He can play at the back and midfield. By moving to outside, he can contribute to attacking. Meanwhile, Sarkodie is more vocal and he also can go forward as he likes in the game.

It also interesting that Borja played defensive midfield in Cruz Arul. When he first came to the U-17, he played as attacking mid, then defensive mid, then center defender. Looks our backs are pretty skilled in this team.

10. usmntsoccerfan

usmntsoccerfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004

Kirk Urso for the u-15s had a great weekend. The kid is immensely talented, being able to dictate the flow of the game, distribute perfect passes, take great long shots, and being a terrific ballwinner. We need more center mids like him if we are to get far in major tournaments in the future.

11. pioneer

pioneer New Member

May 17, 2004
    Tennessee
  12. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for posting my reports. It has been quite a 25 days of soccer on the road for me.

Brandon Tarr is exceptional. He's quick, not all that big, but has very good instincts, and takes a goal quite well. Kirk Urso is just as described, very creative and can really surprise someone with a good strike. Alex Dixon of Houston had kind of a quiet weekend at Nike but was dynamite the weekend before in Austin at the ODP Interregional. Keep his name in mind. Israel Sesay of Potomac Cougars really strong on the ball. I don't think he ended up scoring (too many games to remember) but he creates a lot of HAV-OC.

A lot of good defenders, Christian Ibeaghea (OK), Thomas Meyer (Gallagher), Daniel Wenzel (WA) all good standup centerback types

Matt Uy from NY, Ian Kalis from Dallas and Sam Redmond from western NC a trio of promising midfielders. All three goalkeepers, Jon Harris and Josh Lambo from Chicago, and Chris Miller from Texas, looked good.

This whole team had a really positive outlook to them and I think the coaching staff have a good thing going. They'll have 2 more camps and an international trip in 2005 (details to be worked out) that I'm interested to see. This could be a special group.

Someone asked about players on the 17s. I think you have to include Nik Besagno on any list. He is hard as nails and really reads the game well. Plus he's comfortable on the ball. I could definitely see him making the move to MLS sooner rather than later (most of these kids will be finishing high school in Jan '06 as the FIFA event is in the fall of next year).

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Obligatory, "How did Fro do?", he played against Delco with the U-15's at least.