Nike Boot and Equipment Thread [3]

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by soorbob, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own both, and personally I would not spend $100 more to get SL's. I got mine from PDS for $180, which is cheaper than the original retail price of the IV's.
    I've found them to feel absolutely the same, except for the fact that the SL's run half a size bigger than the IV's.
    You're basically paying more for the look of the carbon fiber heel and soleplate to be honest.

2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nike is just ruining everything. The mV V are exactly the same as the IVs!!!! So now what? Nike expects people to pay $400 for the superflys? SERIOUSLY? $400?! It was bad enough that they introduced the SLs along with the regular vapor as a scheme to rip people off. Why not just have the all vapors with Carbon outsoles instead charging ridiculous prices? Its just retarded. In no way are they helping out the consumer.

Every year, these crappy vapors are going to get more and more expensive without any reasoning. Cool, just add some thin fibers in a boot and charge them an extra $200.

Bring back the Nikeskin. I would pay $175 for a brand new pair of MV IIs over ANY other MV ANYDAY. Screw this carbon fiber scam B.S.

3. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the pricing either, but that's just how it is these days. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That simple. It's not a "scam" in any way. BS? Sure, but that's totally different :p

4. Gabes

Gabes New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    If its just the tounge I'd imagine a tiny bit of stitching which you could probably do by hand in 10 minutes or less would work. Maybe just some super glue would work.

I dont suggest taking those answers as your first options though, I'm not the best at boot repair :p.

And thanks ctoa for your input, I've been contimplating it for a while now, but don't really see 2 ounces making a difference. Also do you know where, in america, I could get some vapor 3's? I loved the pair of the cheaper model (idk if they were called talarias) that I had, and think a pair of vapor 3's might do the trick.

5. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What size are you? Eurosport occasionally restocks them. Most online shops still have them in various sizes.
    Argon Talaria's
    Argon Vapor's
    BTW: Next time, use the Boot Questions Thread ;)

6. Gabes

Gabes New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Yea, i was just integrating the question in my comment :p. Im size 8.5-9 so when i saw those in 13 i got sad haha. Oh well, I think im just going to get the MV IV's a half size, maybe whole size down from my 9.5's, which are quite large on me.

7. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eBay's probably your best bet. I can't find any Vapors, but there are a few [​IMG]Talaria's. Price is a bit steep for a last-generation model, though.
    I wish I could help you out a bit more, but I hope this helps!

8. emu og

emu og New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    You should always size down a .5 size in IV's. For some reason they run long. They will feel much tighter too.

Thats the biggest problem with the IVs. Everyone things they run really wide, because they didn't size down a .5 size. They still are wider than the III's, but they're narrower than most other shoes.

I want my III's back though. They were perfect

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thats just how it is these days? Look, I can agree with a $400 price tag for a pair of cleats if there is some kind of justification for it, but there isn't. at all. Therefore, yes it is scam because it doesn't cost nike $400 f'n bones to make a pair of cleats, which means quick profit for them which= S.C.A.M.

My point is that these new vapors are so much more expensive and still not even close to the quality of the MV IIs, which were $175/180. I would pay that much for a pair of MV IIs over any other MV, let alone paying 300-400 for any other vapor.

10. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't make much sense.
    Carbon fiber bottom (Supaflys or whatever they are) = 400$
    Carbon fiber shoe (Mercurial SL)= 500$ or was it 600$? i didn't pay attention because i knew i wasn't going to get them.

11. emu og

emu og New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Wow, you guys are really ignorant.

Quick Scam? Really. Do you honestly think Nike is only making quick profit on their vapors? What about the Lasers? They're all plastic, and they charge 200 for them too. I guarantee you Lasers are much less exspensive to make than vapors.

And the Sls (the carbon fiber bottoms, since you don't know the name) are $300.
    And the Mercurial SL was $400.

You guys don't understand how expensive carbon fiber is, do you?

The quality is no where near the MVII? How much more durable is the IV than the II? There's a huge difference.

12. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    actually you can't call it a scam... technically I can resell you a can of coke for $1000000. It is not a scam... however... if I tell you the can of coke is actually from William Shakespeare then it is a scam...

anyway... I agree the Nikeskin feels much better than the Teijin crap...

and not this carbon fiber crap again..... who cares how much Nike makes them for, no matter how much anyone know, we won't know how much nike manufacture them for. Unless one of us is a top Nike official who have access to these company secrets.

13. Mattjv

Mattjv Member

Oct 27, 2008
    AZ
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't vapors made in Italy? If so, this would make them more expensive to produce than shoes made in China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Bulgaria, etc. due to the differences in the cost of labor in the different countries. That is only one factor along with things like cost of materials, design costs, production costs, how much they pay CRonaldo to wear them, etc.

BTW, I checked my lasers II k's, made in China.

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For the last time and I am sick of saying this.....The NikeSkin and current uppers are both Teijin microfiber. There are different textures feels to it because of the way they develop the material.

The Euro's were a special case and designed to feel like leather, they will not be the uppers on the new Vapor 5's. Personally I wasn't a fan of NikeSkin and felt that it became too slick when wet, I feel the current Vapor uppers are better yet the outsole and insoles of the 1's and 2's were better so it's a push.

15. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    ok one vapors are now made in bosnia. it says on the box and two the euro vapors are kangeroo leather. geez. ask a nike rep they will you

16. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you seriously just say Euro Vapors are K-leather? or am I reading incorrectly? We've talked about this 10 times at least. They are made to look like leather, they aren't actually leather.

17. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    First off, nobody was insulting anyone here to begin with. But of course you come in here and run your mouth like you're the messiah of football boots. Time to get a life maybe? Not all of us spend our time jerking off to nike shoe specs.

YES. Q-U-I-C-K S-C-A-M. $400 for a goddam boot!!! I highly doubt its costs anywhere close to that much to make superflys. Mercurial SLs were $400 for a completely carbon fiber boot, which you referred to was expensive. Is the superfly all carbon fiber? NO. so then whats up w/ the extra $100?

Time to get off your nike fanboy pedestal.

18. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once, I think emu knows what he's talking about. I believe I've heard him say he dad works works for Boeing, the air plane company. I know Boeing is working on a nearly 100% carbon fiber airplane, so I think he might have a ballpark estimate on how much it costs. This looks kind of like what Nike uses in SLs. I don't know how much carbon fiber actually goes into the bottom of the shoe, but hell, that's some pretty expensive shit.

19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not doubting that Carbon Fiber is expensive. I'm just saying Nike is charging an extra $100 on a boot that is partially c. fiber when the Mercurial SL is completely carbon fiber for the same price. Don't try to tell me that thin fly-wire fibers justify the extra $100.

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The SuperFly is going to be as much as the current Vapor SL if not a few dollars more, I don't know where all this $400 and $500 nonsense is coming from.

Also carbon fiber can be expensive but it depends on a lot of things, the thickness, the grade, the the amount purchased and so on. The carbon fiber used in shoes is not the same as the carbon fiber used on jets and so on. The strength ratio differs greatly and the over all durability of the carbon fiber is much stronger for the aerospace industry.

First of all the carbon fiber threading Nike is using for the SL outsole and even the Mercurial SL upper is super thin and not very strong or able to flex. Second there really isn't that much carbon fiber on the Vapor SL there is a small amount on the outsole plate and the rest of the outsole is clear and black plastic designed to look like carbon fiber, so this huge price tag because of "carbon fiber" is bull crap. Nike is buying the cheapest carbon fiber weaving they can in bulk and sticking them on shoes and telling you its going to alter your speed and it should cost more because of that.

Some of you around here need to get your head out of your backside and think outside of the box, does the mind not rebel at any situation?

I think it might be time for one of my famous "let's set the record straight and level the boot industry treads" and a new one I think we need, "the end all, be all, answers to stupid questions and clarification on all things soccer boots thread". The latter for example would give a correct history to more popular boots, explain the Messi boot confusion that people still don't understand, and cover all these other stupid things that keep coming up.

21. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    well said Jc18star

22. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cool. Well said. You see emu, he didn't have to go insult anyone to get a point across...

23. Gabes

Gabes New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    I've decided im going ot just get another pair of pine green vapors, considering there only 125 for GC memvers on soccer.com

24. soorbob

soorbob New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Hey, I know this isn't the NIKEiD thread, but I thought I'd post this here for more attention. I have been promised a pair of iD T-5s in a couple of months but I am hugely stuck choosing which colour I want. I have made 3 designs already, and if anyone has any good insparation, please show me it. And also, I would prefer it to have read or blue. Here are my 3 designs so far:

http://i44.tinypic.com/24w65bm.jpg

25. endlesswinterco

endlesswinterco BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2008
    East Coast
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    JC, you would be correct, the Superfly, depending on each retailer is $299.99