Nike and United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by jayro75, Jul 19, 2005.

1. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I walked into Niketown here in New York City yesterday and in the Footy section they had gotten rid of the United kits and most of the merchandise....

They had stuff from Arsenal Juve even Celtic ....Now in the past there was a large section of United gear and 1 or 2 things from some other teams....

I was wondering if this was Nikes first step in distancing itself from United as was discussed after the takeover and our 3rd place finish...

Does anyone know anything about this.....

2. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    Sounds like Ruskie Moffia ...

3. blackadder

blackadder Member

Jun 16, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United distanced themselves from Nike the moment they arrived for the first USA tour without Beckham. Going trophyless just increased that distance.

The takeover and the boycott have no effect on Nike's decision making.

Nike would make a kit with frickin' Glazer's face on it if United won another treble ... and the sad thing is, some people would but it.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm boycotting Nike...

...and the fact that the new away kit is hideous, makes it easier.

5. blackadder

blackadder Member

Jun 16, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're giving up the chance to be the first to show up at the pub with a Park away jersey?

The FC United kits are pretty dire also, but in a cute northwest counties league sort of way.

6. MANUTDGAL

MANUTDGAL New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Framingham, Mass.
    I agree that the new kit is hideous why do we want to look like Chelsea..:(

7. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Nike are a bunch of corporate jerk offs. They remind me of McDonald's, hugely popular and successfull, but so plain, manufactured, ordinary and well, mainstream.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    hey, watch it... I learned the hardway, you can diss the pres. u can diss the anthem, hell, burn the flag and only a few will be upset... but you can get killed for dissing the golden arches.

9. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

They had a whole bunch of the new Arse kits there...Those things make our hideous away kit look great.....

10. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I know what you mean. I dare not diss mickey dee's in the presence of my friends. They'd chew my head off and spit it out.

11. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    As a former employee, I am an exception to this rule :D

Also, I hate Nike and that shite away kit. Let's give Umbro a ring - the new England home kits are boss, and they know what they're doing.

12. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Those old Umbro kits witht the collars were the best..... How bad ass was Cantona with his collar up .........

13. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I hope the next home kit has a collar. I would definitely go buy one then. :cool:

14. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    Umbro's "little" collar on the england kit is nice.

15. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Yeah, its pretty neat. But I want the old school collar like jayro was talking about.

16. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    To be honest, I find that England collar ridiculous. If we're to get collars it should be those old school grey with white tips that always brushed The King's cheeks. But that said, I'm not really into collars on football kits.

The last kit that I really loved was the last Umbro kit. Nothing fancy, nothing ridiculously stand-out (like the white thingy around the player's necks on our current kit), just good United jersey in fantastic quality (great material, fantastic lining of Black and White around neck and sleeves).

Anyway, we're not that badly off. Chelsea's new home kit is HORRID.

17. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I was always quite fond of the black away strip :(

18. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Spot on ....

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nike sucks!, and Niketown is even worse. That place is quite huge and they devote one small corner to "soccer" Yea, so they have several Nike jerseys there but its a slap in the face of sports. The rest of the store is dedicated to a lot useless american football, and baseball junk I mean BASEBALL..how much stuff do you actually need for BASEBALL?!?!?!..its not even a sport! Last time I was there the majority of people that were in the store ended up going to the soccer section, but Niketown didn't learn from that..pfft. idiots!

20. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    That's totally true... You would think that Nike would realise that one of the busiest sections of the store is always the soccer section..... And it's not just europeans or tourists in there its alot of very knowledgeable New Yorkers.... But like all big corporations they are totally clueless to what the common man wants...... I equate this to ESPN giving the Espy for best soccer player to Mia Hamm for god sakes....The joke being that her competition was LandyCakes Eddie Johnson and Ronaldinho.......Which one doesn't belong with the others??????

21. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    I laughed for a good twenty minutes when I heard about this. Mia Hamm didn't even play this year ! ! ! ! ! ! !

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, but ESPN could get her to be at the show and stand up to accept. The other three would not be there. A self-hype machine likes ESPN needs the players to be in attendance in order to pimp for ESPN.

23. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

What was Landy blowing his hair and waxing his bikini line??????

24. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh course he was....

:D

Had to do it.

25. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    but then, espn also airs a program on people chopping wood and dogs playing fetch.

instead of wasting time on what people do in they're backyards, i wish that they'd show some footie.