Nike and Dempsey

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EastBayGrease, May 26, 2006.

1. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much we US Nat's fans owe (or will owe) to Nike for their investment in Clint Dempsey as one of the posterboys for US soccer.

I remember reading an article about how much involvement Nike had with their prominent soccer athletes, namely Landon Donovan and Adu. Nike paid for personal sports psychologists who reviewed every match for body language and private acting coaches to train these "stars" for media interviews. They truly groom their athletes for marketability.

I wonder how much of this is going on with Dempsey now that he's one of Nike's new US Nat's poster boys. There are mutiple close ups of him on the Joga Bonita USA ad, and of course, the Don't Tread On This rap.

Additionally, I wonder how much influence Nike has one Dempsey's game. They are obviously interested in him for his dribbling flair and creativity. Do they tell Clint that he's a star as long as he keeps taking on defenders? I can't imagine that Nike puts all this money into grooming a player without having anything to say about his most marketable aspect, his game.

Lastly, will this investment and star treatment give Clint a confidence boost the translates into a "break-out" WC?

2. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Nike may have some influence, but all it probably amounts to is a subtle one. "Hey Clint! That was really outstanding when you blew by so and so!" etc etc. I doubt they'd try to actually affect his play on the field more than that.

3. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Yeah, no shoe making company goes to a player and makes him, the player has to be good in order for him to get attention, it is as simple as that.

4. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    I am pretty sure he was not thinking about his shoes while he was flying through the air to head that goal in tonight.

But the rap afterwards, yeah, all coached. ;)