Nightmare scenario (or

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by tyguy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a lot of us, I'm running through ways USA can or can't qualify and ran into a nightmare scenario. Currently, there are three teams fighting for one spot and one playoff. Standings are thus:

Panama - 10
    USA - 9
    Honduras - 9

If all teams involved draw on Oct 6, so we add a point to each, same teams, but 11-10-10. Now, the nightmare begins....

Oct 10 is USA v TnT, Panama vs CRC, and Mexico v Honduras. USA will advance with a win OR with a draw if Honduras doesn't win. What is the chance that Mexico, having already qualified, rolls over and plays dead to allow Honduras to win on the off chance that USA only draws? Thoughts??????

2. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    If we can't beat Panama at home we don't deserve to go. I'm more worried about winning that game but then finishing 4th if Panama beats CR in game 10

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot folks on bs are very confident about the USMNT's future results and the reuslts our direct comp will get.

Not me. Panama will be playing for their first WC birth (I think) on Oct.6th and I could easily see Costa Rica coasting in their game against Panama if they get a point or more against Honduras.

Arena has shown that he can pick the wrong lineups and be outcoahced badly by the other coaches in this region.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Since Arena has been coach, what decent team have we beaten? CR minus Campbell and Navas. That's it. We've already drawn Panama twice, and looked like the worse team both times.

To answer the OP question, I would not count on Mexico helping us.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't deserve to go to the World Cup if we can't beat Costa Rica at home.

That said, 6 points is the minimum we need in the next round.

Or, the team can watch the World Cup at home.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not entirely true. The key thing is to beat Panama at home. If we do that and only tie T&T we're extremely likely to make the playoff and have a decent shot at qualifying outright. You definitely don't want to leave it to chance though

Redmen Rule repped this.
  7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the conspiracy theories about Mexico and Costa Rica intentionally laying an egg just to screw with us are a bit much for me.

With Costa Rica, to my understanding Honduras-Costa Rica has always been a pretty big rivalry in it's own right, on top of that The Ticos have yet to qualify and will do that by taking care of business against Honduras at home. You think they're going to risk playing with that fire, even if the odds of them missing a World Cup are tiny?

With Mexico, my only fear would be them sending out a B team who's not really going to show a lot of urgency with 15 minutes left in a tight game. That said a B team Mexico might still be better than Honduras, and I imagine many of those Mexican players would be playing for their own spots on the World Cup team.

I think Honduras's odds of getting 6 points are significantly smaller than ours

Redmen Rule repped this.
  8. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    As a Mexico fan I can tell you we hate losing to Honduras especially. So no the team should not roll over for them.

9. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'm not worried about missing the playoff at this point unless we completely shxt the bed, I'll be surprised if Honduras gets more than 1 point from their final 2 games. I'm more concerned about finishing tied with Panama on 13 points and having it come down to GD. We don't just need to beat them, we need to ideally beat them by at least 2. If we do that then a draw at T&T should be sufficient

Redmen Rule repped this.
  10. flsoccer

flsoccer Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I don't think it has to be anything intentional. It's just human nature. Come the last game, both Mexico and Costa Rica will have officially clinched. And they'll have nothing to play for other than pride. They'll both be on the road against Honduras and Panama who will be playing for a WC berth. Our mindset should be that Honduras and Panama will win those games. While hoping that at least one of them ends in a tie.

And while Costa Rica has technically not clinched a spot in the top 3, they essentially have. Only in a worst case scenario with a massive swing in GD would they finish 4th. So it's very possible they wont be playing full speed in their next game either. I'd love to see them come out and blow Honduras away at home. But again I think we should expect best case a tie.

comoesa repped this.
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    They'll beat Honduras at home. They may not be motivated to blow them out, but they'll get the 3 and GD isn't a concern for us with Honduras anyway. A 1-0 CR win is as good for our purposes as a 10-0 win.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely true. If they play their B team in that game those players are getting a huge chance to showcase themselves with few chances left in the cycle. They'll want to play well and make a difference.

14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we will be in the position but if it comes down to Mexico winning their last game for us to make it, Mexico will win. The US not making the World Cup looks bad for the entire confed. I'm sure FMF will monitor the scores, they will remember what happened 4 years ago and if we are good, the MexNT will probably put out an A- or B+ team. I'm not saying that CONCACAF will match fix, but a phone call may be made to certain federations to have their teams to not take their foot off the gas.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mexico beating the Ticos saved our skin.

Costa Rica has to go to the two-game series with their A-squad, because they have not clinched qualification. CRC A at home should beat HON. Considering HON goal diff, the Panama game is basically the one for the last Golden Ticket.

Mexico will come with a B-squad, enough to beat Trinidad at home, but not to get a point in SPS.

16. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The Mexican team that plays in Honduras is going to go all out. The question is will it beat enough to beat Honduras in a do or die game, which I don't think it will. JCO is going to probably bring a B team to these games. Plus with his rotations, of that squad he will probably use the best team for the Trinidad game at home. Honduras is a tough situation and field. Last time Mexico won in SPS , Alanis got hurt in that field and was out months. Mexico is not going to risk key players in a meaningless game with a rival that is very physical normally. But the team that plays, should go all out, still that thing didn't help us in the Gold Cup.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that really matters with your WC sealed and delivered.

There'd be no reason for you guys to bring your Euro contingent and probably keep much of the A team at home. It'd make zero sense to risk injury to your key guys down there.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, we really are in the nightmare scenario. Basically, we have to get 6 points in the next 2 games to qualify. Granted, we should do that, but this cycle would argue that we are far ways away from achieving what we should.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 EvanJ, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    It was a draw.

We don't know what we need. 6 points is the only way to qualify without help, but we could get 4 points and not qualify or 0 points and qualify.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ah yes. Still, it forces them not to go with a B team into the last week, and that's what matters for us. They didn't clinch qualification.

A perfectly possible scenario is Mexico & Costa Rica winning, while we tie Panama. And in the last day, we beat the long eliminated Trinidad (already playing with B teamers), while Honduras beats Mexico's B team and Panama can only tie at home with the Ticos, even if the latter have half the B team, because Panama is like that: their knees buckle under pressure.

That would have us getting #3, Panama taking the trip to Asia, and Honduras staying home.