Nigeria VS. Mali

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Unak78, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Ok, its time for us to step up our game. Personally I'm not 100% that Kanu should not start in this game. First he has the most caps on the team and also he's our captain, and he's more than earned it. Why else do you think England still keeps Beckham around. Plus, we share the same last name so I'm extremely biased on this issue. The fact that he's playing out of position does hurt, but we may need his leadership. Let's see him against Mali for judgement's sake.

My prediction is that Nigeria will win 2-1.

2. AJFA

AJFA New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Mali is playing really good, better than Nigeria imo.
    They deserve to win.

3. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Still tied and Nigeria has yet to score in the cup. So far, Nsofor Obinna, Taiwo, and Odemwingie have been some of the few bright spots on the team.

The defense is leaving holes all over the place, and Nsofor and Odemwingie are working too hard to create opportunities only to have Martins either be out of position or let the ball bounce off his feet. Martins has been a disaster so far in the cup.

Nigeria is outshooting Mali 9-4 but so far Mali has had, by far, the more dangerous chances. Will we now have to wait until 2010 for our next superstar to develop? Nsofor seems to me to be closest to filling that void, but let's hope we gel in time for S.Africa bc there will be no other opportunities to play a WC in Africa for a long, long time.

I'm getting a very bad feeling about our chances now. :mad:

4. elperucho

elperucho Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    FT

nigeria 0-0 mali

5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Nigeria had a disallowed goal a while back that I was sure was the winner. Now we have to beat Benin and hope that CIV does to Mali what they did to Benin today. It would help our cause if we scored more than 1 goal too. I still think that it can happen, but it really doesn't matter bc even if we go through, we will not win a single game in the knockout phase playing the way we are playing.

If I see so much as a single longball played by Nigeria against Benin, I will fly to Ghana myself and beat the shit out of Berti Vogts. What type of counterattacking nonsense are we playing?

6. elperucho

elperucho Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    nigeria still go qualify to the 2nd round only if they beat benin by two goals or more and ivory coast beat mali

7. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    First of all, the Nigerian disallowed goal was clearly offside.

Now, some thoughts on the game:
    It was incredibly tight and intense the whole game, really a fantastic match to watch despite having no goals. Nigeria just gave up on the middle of the field, where Diarra and Keita were dominating, but still were the more dangerous team when they attacked. There were a lot of long balls played, but nothing good was coming from attacks that built through the midfield, so that was the best option at the end of the game. There were plenty of chances, but Nsofor doesn't want to shoot ever, Martins can't hit the broad side of a barn right now, and the Mali defense was up to every challenge.

For Mali, the flank players started to tire late and spaces opened up for Nigeria, but for the first 2/3 of the game they kept it tight and built really well from midfield into the attacking zone. Nigeria knew what to do, though, fouling a lot during the buildup in non-dangerous areas to keep Keita, Sissoko and Kanoute from running free. Kanoute was everywhere except in the box finishing, where Mali clearly lack someone who can score goals. Kanoute's touch was marvelous all game, as was Keita's, but it's hard to see where the goals are going to come from. Keita from midfield is probably the best bet, he had a couple really good looks as he ran around unchallenged, including the shot that hit the bar. Amadou Sidibe gave Mali width on the left they've been missing, too, and he looks like a good young player.

Unfortunately for Mali, Diarra is suspended against CIV, and they need to find a way to get a draw without him. It won't be easy, even if CIV rest some people. Nigeria should finally be able to get on the board against Benin, you'd think, but they'll likely need more than one and even then it's not in their hands.

8. elperucho

elperucho Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and wtf is vogts doing in nigeria?, in his career as coach he only won the EURO 96 and then what...? NOTHING

beaten by croatia when he coached germany in france 98

he tied FAROE ISLAND 2-2 when he was coaching scotland and he couldn't qualify to the 2006 world cup

if nigeria don't beat benin, VOGTS NEEDS TO BE FIRED!!!

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    we aren't beating anyone. We suck terribly. We don't deserve to advance from the group. Berti should be fired, effing waste of money.

Just terrible, we have about a million so-called star forwards and all of them stink.

Super eagles, yeah right.

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Vogts is a clueless fool, we need to get rid of him ASAP. Yakubu was whack, Martins was also whack. He is such a stupid coach he cannot make good subs or tactics.

11. elperucho

elperucho Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    when nigeria had west, okocha, lawal, babangida, amokachi and other fantastic players...

12. elperucho

elperucho Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and BTW jose mourinho and bora milutinovic are still available, i don't know if you people want them?

13. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    We've gone the Bora route once before and I can't say that it was entirely successful. Mourinho interests me though. Quite a bit, in fact.

The only good move Vogts made was pulling Martins and moving Nsofor to the middle. He was the only man of the field making any good touches on the field. The problem is, he's not a shooter.

I think we can go through still because CIV will beat Mali easily. And if we don't beat Benin, then all hell will break loose. But right now CIV, Morocco, Egypt, Senegal, S. Africa, and Angola would all hand Nigeria their heads playing the way they are now. How far have we fallen?

14. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Not to mention Babayaro who's going to Galaxy apparently.

Those were the days. :rolleyes:

Oh and you're right on the money, if we don't beat Benin, Vogts will be fired. Bank on that. They fired Westerhoff for less reason.

Oh and BTW, will somone tell me why Chelsea and Manchester think so much of Obi Mikel? Where was he? He is not a difference-maker. I know that he's young, but Dos Santos can do more than him now!

I know, I know, I'm all over the place right now. :confused:

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    CIV are not gauranteed to beat Mali, they will almost have nothing to play for and Mali will go all out, I'm sorry but I think we are out.

16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    You really know how to cheer someone up. I'll call you in case I see someone who needs to be talked down from off a ledge. :D

17. jagr68

jagr68 New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I have to agree with you although I was hoping for a Ghana-Nigeria quarter final clash. Not that CIV has nothing to play for, but that a draw will suit both teams. They will be focused on not conceding first of all. 0-0 is a probable outcome.

18. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I afraid, I have to dissent as well. Even if the game was a must win for both teams, it still wouldn't be a slam dunk. In the real scenario, I doubt CIV will risk too much seeking a victory. On the otherhand, Mali will probably cautiously go for thewin to take the group. If its 0-0 at the half, it will probably stay 0-0.

I also do not see Nigeria easily defeating Benin,.... sure they looked quite provencial today, but they can hold their own.... not to mention, Nigeria isn't exactly finishing their shots.

I can understand the frustration with the strategy of the team and blaming Vogts, but how many chances did Nigeria waste? They nearly took the lead against CIV before giving up the one goal, and they had plenty of chances tonight.

As I said, I empathize with wanting to dismiss Vogts, but is he really the only reason for Nigerias plight?

---

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    first off what clear chances did we have, Mali had more.
    Second Vogt has gotten everything horribly wrong, first off he left Obodo and Odiah behind when they were both fit, he also left promising youngsters like Olufemi and Lukman behind for wastepipes like Olofinjana and Okonkwo in midfield.
    his starting lineups and subs have been downright horrible. He only plays players with established reputations. Why does he keep playing Utaka who has been horrible for Pompey all season and horrible for the EAgles as well. He is afraid to bench big names who are not producing (Yakubu, Martins), he is playing garbage players like Nwaneri and Olofinjana, he always plays Makinwa who is garbage, AHHHHHH i am so mad VOGTS MUST GO NOW !!!!

20. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don;t understand why you are reiterating what was stated prior to my post. I understand that Vogts had made some controversial decision concernng player prsonnel & positioning. I only pointed out, despite Vogt's apparent follies, that the "Super Eagles" still didn't convert their chances when they had them. I asked, is this a player personnel issue, or a lack of execution.

Case in point, one of the biggest difference between Arsenal this year & last year is the balls are hitting the back of the net. Is Wenger a better coach this year than last year, or are the players executing better? BTW, you could easily argue that better personnel means better execution. Of course that would be too easy to say, since the grass is always greener on the other side when things are not working out as planned.

Furthermore, I am not advocating that Vogts deserves to stay,... If Nigeria is eliminated, I am almost positive he will be gone anyway,... "Group of Death" or not!

--

21. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Vogts is one of the worst managers I've ever seen. You need a goal to keep playing and you take off Martins AND Odemwingie then leave Kanu (a man who's scored in the Premier League, the Champions League, Cup of Nations, Olympics, you name it) on the bench? Can't comprehend his logic on that one. I feel bad for Nigeria because Kanu is my football hero. But well played to Mali, they deserved the point and I think they should have won.

I don't think CIV-Mali is what you should worry about, I'm completely serious when I ask this, but are you sure Vogts can engineer a victory over a scrappy Benin side who'd LOVE to have a scalp like Nigeria's?