Nigeria to ban braided hair

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Michael-A-UK, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Michael-A-UK

Michael-A-UK New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Football hairdo alarm in Nigeria

What complete and utter rubbish! Banning talented players simply because of the way they wear their hair? Saying that such hairstyles and earrings 'have a sense of homosexuality' is the most ridiculous statetment I have ever heard. And even in the highly unliekly event that one or two of these players were homosexual, why the hell should that mean they're not allowed to play football even if they have the ability? To suggest that players will be banned is a very stupid idea, since there is no part in thhe Laws of the Game that forbids this. I am sure FIFA would from upon it. What does everyone else think about this?

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the stupidest thing I've heard in my life. Unless the Braided Hair has a different interpretation than in the US, which is what it appears to be however; eventhough the US didn't Invent the Braided Hair style on males, its become very very popular again through Hip-Hop and Modern Culture.
    At likewise, this fashion-decision has spread into Europe. However, again, since I'm not Nigerian I have no idea of whether or not this hairstyle has been attached to Homosexual connotations and for how long.

In the US, the braided hair is normally seen as assumed for the males to be of the "boorish" or "uncouth", criminally-involved. But homosexual? No. not here.

Nigerian FA needs to get it together, they have problems other than who's hair looks like what.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about that is highly unlikely? That it would only be 1 or 2?

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it's retarded, homophobic, and a complete waste of time.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Man some people are stupid.

6. nigerianman

nigerianman Red Card

Sep 29, 2004
    From my handle - you can tell am a nigerian all true and true. This is just another plot to divert attention and shift the players and coaches focus away from qualifying and playing well in Germany. I dont understand why we allow such unwarranted politics to interfere with sports. I am trying hard here not to bash myself (nigerians) in the presence of outsiders but i can assure you all that this is very unlikely to make any headway as a matter of fact its being ignored. Because of the quota system of appointing people to political positions - the moron that came up with this happens to be the most EDUCATED ILLITERATE from his region and felt he had to come up with something as silly and moronic as this to get some form of recognition. Well, whoever he his - you havent gotten your 15secs of fame now shut-up and let the boys play their game even if they have 3 testicles each and tits like Jeana Jameson - who gives a rat ass as long as he his scoring goals or preventing goals from reaching the back of our net.

People, lets ignore this thread, its a waste of time. Did you all get to see Yusuf Ayinla yesterday?

7. nigerianman

nigerianman Red Card

Sep 29, 2004
    Its only one person.

8. nigerianman

nigerianman Red Card

Sep 29, 2004
  9. Michael-A-UK

Michael-A-UK New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Couldn't get the link to work, maybe it's my totally ********** computer!
    If the Nigerian FA did go ahead with this, I'm sure it wouldn't get very far as there would probably be objections from FIFA and others.
    I'm not entirely sure of the state Nigerian football is in right now, are they doing badly in WC qualifiers or something?

10. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

It seems almost silly that the Nigerian FA would want to create this ban. Seems like the politics of the FA or the people withinit don't have their priorities together. What's important is: Nigeria's ability to qualify for the World Cup.

11. nigerianman

nigerianman Red Card

Sep 29, 2004
    Sorry you couldnt get the link to work, i copied the article below for you. The footballing is fine, the problem we are facing is noting but politics. Just like any other ministry, we have a moron at the helm of affairs at the sports ministry. We are currently behind Angola cos we struggled to a draw with Gabon last weekend - we still have 5 games in hand and a home game against the group leaders angola so we are in good shape. Informative piece below though.

"Don't embarrass Nigeria, YSFON tells NFA

By John Egbokhan
    Wednesday, October 20, 2004

As the countdown to December 31 loom for the NFA to abrogate the notorious decree 101 and make its laws conform with those of FIFA or face indefinite ban, the Youth Sports Federation has called on the NFA and the Sports Ministry to stop foot-dragging and embarrassing the nation.

In a quick response to Sports Vanguard invitation of respondents’ reactions on the issue, YSFON’s Publicist, Ben Ekpo, said it was high time the NFA got its acts together by conforming its laws with those obtainable elsewhere.

The body also urged the Sports Minister to stop meddling in terrains which he did not understand, arguing that the Minister had informed the nation that he was not a sports man but a communication person upon being appointed by President Obasanjo.

“This Sports Minister, should stop interfering in the affairs of NFA because he does not understand football. His interference would not help because FIFA would ban us from international football if government’s interference, through the Sports Minister does not stop.

“What the Minister does not understand is that his utterances are further proofs to FIFA that NFA is not free from government’s interferences”, added Ekpo, who blamed the NFA for not taking the initiative as a united front.

“The NFA should stop embarrassing this nation, they should talk with one voice and do us a favour by conforming our laws with those of FIFA. They should notify the National Assembly of this right now so that our football would be saved from any ban”, the YSFON official said.

12. NaijaFan

NaijaFan New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    That's no good, no Okocha or Kanu, is bad for our qualifying chances. :confused:

13. nigerianman

nigerianman Red Card

Sep 29, 2004
    C'mon you know thats not gonna happen. Okocha is the captain of the national team.

14. Michael-A-UK

Michael-A-UK New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hopefully this whole sorry state of affairs will be forgotten about and the team can get on with playing football without worrying about petty little things that are being blown out of all proportion. They should be allowed to get on with it, whether their hair is braided or not!

15. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    By the Klu Klux Klan?
    ;)

16. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    same thing happend with iran...

17. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, probably, but I don't buy it. But you understand the notion I was trying to convey.

18. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

When do you think Africa will have its first WC championship?

19. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Thats pretty crazy, wouldnt you play better with braided hair?

20. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Its A Silly Idea And Impetious Idea To The Minds Of A Foriegner.u May Not Realise But Just As Nigeria Is Developing In Terms Of Economic And Social Status There Are Still Some Out There I Call Conservative.u Guys May Not Be Familiar With Such Coz Your Social Ways Have Changed. For Example In About 1800's They Killed People In Usa Who Seemed Raggedy With Unusual Ilments They Were Declared Evil Or Witches And Were Burnt On The Stake Alive. Its The Same Thing Happening In Nigeria Many Dont Want Western Influence Into The Culture Knowing The Fact That Its A Very Cultured Country And Even The Most Religious In The World.but Things Change I Find It Silly Too But I Understand Such Things .i Would Never Braid My Head.but Leave It Up To Those Who Want To.how Its Related To Homosexuality I Dont Know We Know There Are Very Few Homos In Africa Or Maybe None At All.but We Have To Understand Braiding Started In Africa Way Up To About 8000 Bc And Was Used On Kings To Display Thier Wealth .and Has Become Popular But Left When The White Men Introduced A Different Style.but With African Americans Picking Such And Using It In Thug Life And Rap Gangstar And So On They Now Relate It To Being Unafrican And Dont Want Our Stars Doing Such.coz The Youth Of Nigeria Would Pick It Up Which Is Normal.

21. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ridiculous, but it's not the first time this has happened with a national team. I remember a few years ago, the Trinidad & Tobago coach wanted to ban players with dreadlocks. I also remember something about Daniel Passerella demanding that Argentine Nationa Team players with long hair get more conservative hair cuts.