Nicknames...(unofficial - besides Wanderers)

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by PCFC, Apr 4, 2009.

1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. I know that Wanderers is probably (and maybe technically) their nickname. But every team has 2nd or 3rd nicknames (e.g. Amazins and Bronx Bombers).

This might be too early as we don't know the jersey and has little history. But we do know the colors.

I would like to have a poll, but we need some options. So in about a week, if I get enough responses, I'll do a poll.

Here are some nicknames of mine:
    -The Bluebirds --------------(NY state's official bird)
    -The Scrapers --------------(skyline ref)
    -The Emperors--------------(State nickname ref)
    -The Metrocosmos----------:)D)
    -The Immigrants-------------(I like it...We all have it in us)

What do you think?

2. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh dude, its way to early...those kind of nicknames come over time my friend!

3. JerseyHooligan

JerseyHooligan New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Hoboken
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im considering jumpin the redbull ship cuz they are one dissapointment after another, Fc Newyork has 2 more years and already they have more historty. The crest is beautiful, i like how it incorporates the dutch king, english rose and dutch tulip and the queens flag.

4. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its unfortunate that a team who has been around since the begining have no titles what so ever, but atleast red bull r progressing this team forward, they are building americ best soccer stadium, great training ground, and thats already 2 more than former ownership gave them

5. xxmisterprez13xx

Apr 11, 2008
    East Queens, NYC
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new york city fc baby

7. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fc new york UNITED idk

8. Coach Popovic

Coach Popovic Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Why not call them the Furies, after the baseball-themed gang from The Warriors (1979) which wore pinstriped (without the interlocking NY) uniforms and facepaint that presaged Mel Gibson in Braveheart?

Or...since this is the USL, go retro with an old USL (1980) New York name and call them the United... or more retro with the ASL which became the USL, and call them the Apollo?:cool:

9. Coach Popovic

Coach Popovic Member

Mar 10, 2007

I'm with you on the Red Bulls (aka the Blue Balls). Just when the team was developing history, they flushed it with the change to RBNY. This has been consistently the most mediocre team in MLS

10. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    red bulls would be a normal name, its just named after a company, its not the only team in the world named after a company so it doesnt bother me at all

11. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey. All jokes aside, the RB takeover made me question the franchise, but I tried to rationalize the decision by claiming that the product will get better. It took me a few games to see that was completely untrue.

They do play in two different leagues...so...

12. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...I know. But it's too much fun anyways...

13. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanderers,
    Rovers,
    BlueBirds,
    Blues,
    Dead Rabbits??? :D:D

14. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah for a company that does so much professional sports marketing, Red Bull seems completely clueless sometimes. There's no benefit to them tagging on the "New York" name to their moniker when everyone knows that they have never played their home games in New York, and never will.

Sure the MetroStars legacy wasn't much, but it was definitely more than nothing. They should have rebranded as Red Bull MetroStars, to keep some of that legacy going and not further alienate what few fans they had left. They could still rebrand as Red Bull MetroStars in 2010 when they move into Red Bull Arena, if they wanted to. It would be a nice gesture to their much abused long time supporters who are still hanging in there.

Teams don't have to be named after the city or region they play in. Sure it's not an American tradition to have a team named after a corporation, but then again MLS ain't your traditional American sports league, either. And that's a good thing.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they don't market any sports. They market their drink using sports, that's all. Their efforts in competitive situations - outside of perhaps the Austrian Bundesliga, where their financial power is both significant and unfettered - have been pretty awful. RB sports (soccer here, F1 and other racing) are synonymous with mediocrity.

16. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God that would be amazing.

17. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take the Rowdies anyday. That definitely brings credibility to the league.

18. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt want a team in queens called Connecticut thats for sure

19. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's a joke right?

that's a terrible analogy. East Rutherford and Harrison are in the NY metropolitan area. that area is represented by NY teams in almost every sport, and in a few cases those NY teams play in NJ (the giants and jets, for example)
    Queens, on the other hand, is not in the Connecticut "metro area" (or whatever that would be called, since connecticut is a state).

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just simply not true. The New York Urban Area, as defined by the census, includes Connecticut. Please look at this government map and the outlines:
    https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/policy-and-strategy/darb/dai-unit/ttss/repository/nymtc.pdf

His analogy holds weight and is not dissimilar to playing in NJ.

21. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    If you're going to reference the NY skyline, why not Skyliners? Then have the Skyliners drum corps come out and play, like the Sounders' band does? They're actually very good.

22. idriveavw

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but his analogy was backwards. if they played in CT and were called NY b/c they are representing the NY Metro area, then ok, but not the other way around.

23. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it has to work both ways

24. idriveavw

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no. not really

25. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if the supporters are called the Lewis Mumford Brigade.

I've argued for years that the NYC team ought to take a name that has a long, proud lineage in area club soccer (including winning the USOC), that is culturally meaningful - profound, even, and that just sounds like a proper name for a proper sports team.

That name?

The New York Americans,
    of course.