Nickname for Toronto MLS Team.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by petersoccer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    AC Toronto.

I've been to that fine city once a couple years back, LOVED IT!

I was there during the World Cup, stayed downtown for 6 days and witnessed the color and support many of the city's diverse people have for soccer. People waving Italy's and Korea's flag in the streets, lots of young people wearing Itlian, Korean, Portugese, Brazilian and a few Japanese national team jerseys. I was floored by the amount of support. I thought Toronto was a hockey town (yuck!).

I think the name AC Toronto would provide enough brand recognition from the heavy Italian, Portugese and Caribbean populations in order to rally enough support.

Go FIRE!!

2. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Toronto Reds FC

3. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto Red Star FC

i give up if it happens its going to be another mickey mouse club name

4. Gagnons

Gagnons New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    this thread sure has a hell of a lot of responds in a short time... The subject didn directly interest me but how about Toronto blue leafs.. lol

5. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I love it, that's ********ing spectacular!!!

6. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    You should get into advertising Jonesy, u got some great ideas with that beer promoting team angle, that's good thinking!!!

7. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Still bitter that the SJ Baby Leafs are comming to Toronto.

8. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    I was thinking AC Toronto, too!

'AC Chicago' or 'Chicago AC' kicked around a bit as a rumored name during Chicago Fire's formative stages. IIRC, it was suggested AC might stand for All-City.

That would seem to work well for a club in a large metro area, like Chicagoland or GTA.

9. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    undefined Toronto is getting a team? when did you find this out?

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    The commish of MLS stated Toronto is the front runner for next Expansion.
    On Soccer Central Today they also mentioned Toronto has inquired about the KC Team.

11. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    what about our beloved Toronto Lynx?

The one thing I hate about the MLS is that there is no relegation. There should be relegation in NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB. In MLS, there should be relegations. I think the league that the Toronto Lynx is in should be a good relegation league.

12. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    How about the Toronto "Shizzle" ? or "Keepin it mad real FC" ?

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The toronto Freeze, how's that?

you got Miami Heat in the NBA, and now you have North of the Border, the Toronto Freeze

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bahaha

15. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I've been pimping some kind of nickname from Antiquity, since the Argonauts' ownership is being connected to this movement.

Toronto Hoplites
    Toronto Trojans
    Toronto Titans
    Toronto Triremes
    Toronto Minotaurs

Of course, of these choices only Trojans and Titans stand a chance. The owners would be likely to go with the Blizzard or pull that dumbass, idiot crap that Dallas and Salt Lake City are doing.

I won't be baited into a debate of the merits of promotion and relegation, not that that was your intention of course. I'll just say that you can't discuss it seriously when, between the United States and Canada, we can't sustain more than two dozen stable, professional clubs.

16. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto Ontarios.

17. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I like that, sort of like the New York New Yorks.

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    First off Canada should start it's own league and it should be based on Clubs not Franchises, but then again that wouldn't happen because outside of Toronto and Montreal their isn't enough Football fans to care (euro snobs, without them no one would care for the game) enough to start them and get organised.

AC Toronto for Portuguese/Italian /and Spanish Fans? NO just Italian Milan Fans.

No AC in Portugal
    in Spain a team in Bilbao is Called "Athletico Club" and they Go by "Athletic" only.

You could put FC, SC, AC, RC, R2, D2 whatever it would all be cosmetic. Just look at "ReAL" salt lake, what Monarchy ordained that? the Mayor of Salt lake...please.

BTW to KrammerHead we are all Canadian and no one in Toronto looks down at you so why do you act like we dont give a crap about the rest of Canada.

You also say we couldn't be able to carry a pro Footy team? Get real stop acting Jealous, for one yes, we are the biggest city, with the biggest market meaning the most money. Sue us, hate us, whatever the most important thing is we have the biggest european community therefore the most passionate Football/soccer fans in Canada.

19. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Very well stated. I truly belive that Toronto can be good for MLS.
    Having a Stadium is going to make a big difference. Also the Location of the Stadium is awesome. Over 12000 Parking spots on site and clsoe to every major highway in the region.

20. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    I think you should call the team "The Toronto Snoop D O double G's!!"

That would be Gangsta!! :D

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Gangsta? But they're Canadian!

22. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So "Toronto Hoplites" is a reasonable and catchy name, while FC Dallas is dumbass?

And what's with all the alliteration in your list of potential names? Don't you think it's a big gimmicky?

23. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Good point, we cant sustain more than two dozen pro clubs.
    Then we in Canada have parts of the Country who would rather see soccer fail than have a Toronto team in MLS.
    I would like MLS to adopt a system like there is in the NHL. WHere you have farm teams to season your players. A-League would be perfect for this.
    North America will never have rel/pro. No owner is going to pay 10 Mil for a team and have them get relegated. Its not in our nature.

24. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    But has it subway/ttc buses for us out of towners? I agree that Toronto
    would be a great addition to MLS, just too bad it couldn't be at the Exhibition grounds.

25. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    The bus Acces is great. There are 60000 students at York. Hwy Acess is awesome. Much better than Exibition grounds. :)