Nickname for Toronto MLS Team.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by petersoccer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    toronto maple warriors.... i know it is horrible...anyway it was my best idea....

2. jonesy55

jonesy55 New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Peterborough,Ont.
    Hey, how about the Toronto Voyageurs

Since they will be Canada's only team for awhile, the Voyageurs would represent all of Canada.

The whole country could cheer them on...............

The team could even have special matches...

Saskatchewan Day

Nova Scotia Day

Canada Day............a huge match on Canada Day

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I like the Blizzard, too. I still have an old Blizzard jersey from the old days tucked away.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

I was thinkin' "Horton's Hoes". :D

5. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Voyaguers? please , we have enough french being forced on us keep it English. Blizzard is still the best nickname,
    it not that, then the Toronto Towers FC.

6. jonesy55

jonesy55 New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Peterborough,Ont.
    Ok, you don't like the Voyageurs..............

How about the Toronto Northern Lights.............????

TNL..................I think it would work.

Then pursue a major brewery to sponsor the team and make a new beer called Toronto Northern Light beer. A great way to promote the team.

7. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Toronto Lakers FC?

8. jonesy55

jonesy55 New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Peterborough,Ont.
    CdnBhoy67,

Toronto Lakers FC might be too close to Peterborough Lakers LC......

Are you hooked on Laker Premium Lager too??? :rolleyes:

buck a beer...............makes good financial planning............ :)

9. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Toronto Canadians? Or would that upset a certain hockey in the next province?

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    That name would fly like a lead Ballon in Toronto, do you think we would stop that low. We leave Shite like that for the Left coast, recall thier failed Triple AAA Baseball team The VCR Canadians, only on the left coast.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tried and failed.

12. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    The Blizzard would be the best choice if they could get the rights to the name. Many people remember the name for the NASL team here (few of them were aware the team lasted into the CSL as well since it was such a low-profile team here, though they still had a higher profile than the Toronto Lynx, which are a no-profile team - in fact people still ask me today if I think pro soccer will ever return to Toronto).

Those people who are pointing out the difference between the Lynx & Rhinos attendance are on to a lost leader. Having been to several Rhino matches (to see the Lynx play) from my viewpoint the Rhinos are considered the game in town in Rochester and the team's existence is not a secret in the city - exactly the opposite in Toronto. Most soccer fans & most people in the city of Toronto have never heard of the Lynx. The Lynx play in a tiny bush-league facility which is hidden in the outskirts of the city, and do not advertise or promote their presence at all except to a few minor soccer teams. The possibility of the MLS coming to Toronto has already received more publicity & press coverage in the Toronto media in the last few months than the Toronto Lynx have received in the eight years of existence, which should tell you something. In addition, the few in the city who have heard of the Lynx generally aren't impressed - the team never has a winning record, and they play in a bush-league facility in what is perceived to be a minor league (and therefore minor league talent) in comparison to the MLS, let alone the big European leagues that are watched in ever-increasing numbers each weekend on tv. A Toronto MLS team is unlikely to completely tap into the huge Toronto soccer completely because there will be some fans that will sit on their arse and watch Serie A or the EPL, but I imagine this is no different than any other North American city. With a major league facility however and a proper ownership group with deep pockets than can actually promote the team's presence in the community and with the media, an MLS team could be a great success here. The potential is certainly huge.

13. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    Toronto Anglo-Oppressors

14. LostintheBarrens

LostintheBarrens New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Always liked the North Stars team name, but it sounds so much better with Minnesota in front of it.

Toronto Toros has a nice ring to it.

How about we name the team in tribute to Kevan Pipe and his cronies and call it the York Yesmen!

My hope is to build the stadium on the Exhibition grounds and name the team the Toronto EX-Men!

15. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    I also was hoping for the stadium to be built at the Exhibition grounds,
    for the easy access it would have made. But York it is. As far as the
    team name they should pick it like Frank Yallop selects our national team,
    put all names in a hat and have a blind draw. :)

16. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    The York site is very good. Good road acess and not having to go into downtown. Also closer to the suburbs where there is more support for soccer than in the inner city of torornto, Acess into Exibition Stadium in not the best, one of the reasons the Blizzard did not draw well. Parking was a disater there and getting out was horible due to poor acess.

Our first truly soccer facility in Toronto will be a welcome site.

17. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    As for the team name......................maybe Ravens now that Vancouvers lacrosse team has gone under(surprise,surprise).

18. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    How about Vancouver cotfuwoalt. Its an Indian Name

Center of the f..universe with out a LAcrosse Team. The hot bed of Lacrosse. Now tell us how Major League lacrosse with the best players in North America is not real Lacrosse. Sour Grapes Jerk.

19. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    I guess krammerhead has been told today............................... :) :)

20. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    FYI, failures in Vancouver. NBA, Triple AAA, Major League Lacrosse, Molson Indy(Cart) Greater Vancouver Open PGA tour, Previous attemps in Junior Hockey, As reported on sports Central today. Lock up your kids or they will be takin away.

21. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Sour grapes on your part. WHy could Vancouver not step up and secure these games.

22. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    soccerbeast, is that you?

23. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    You forgot the BC Lions losting to Ontario's Toronto Argo's in the Grey Cup,
    Vancouver's sporting reputation is taking a bit of a hammering these days. :)

24. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    I think

Toronto Canucks
    sounds canadian enough ;)

25. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Vancouver's hockey team might have something to say about that, then again we might not ever see them again.